Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits - Pre 1920

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Oh, I love the suit of that grand duke.

I picked up my waist-seam suit, or I should rather say jacket as the trousers were mis-matched, today. Apart from a small collar gap, it fit quite well, although I was a bit disappointed over how low the armholes were. I'm gonna mend the moth holes and shorten the sleeves, then I'll post some pictures of me wearing it; hopefully by the weekend. I can't be bothered to fix the collar gap at the moment.

Regarding the trousers, they were a plain navy serge while the jacket had a herringbone pattern (and another shade of navy). Luckily I have a suit with almost a perfect match of fabric that could benefit from an extra pair of trousers. Still, I'm gonna request a partial refund.

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
89273fbb77d4b58eba73d3ac4539f3b2.jpg

Nice! Reminded me a bit of this one, with the narrow buttons and patch pockets:

Schermafbeelding2014-10-23om091441_zpsc679cafb.png

Seems like a fancy fabric on this one, by the way.

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
Oh, I love the suit of that grand duke.

I picked up my waist-seam suit, or I should rather say jacket as the trousers were mis-matched, today. Apart from a small collar gap, it fit quite well, although I was a bit disappointed over how low the armholes were. I'm gonna mend the moth holes and shorten the sleeves, then I'll post some pictures of me wearing it; hopefully by the weekend. I can't be bothered to fix the collar gap at the moment.

Regarding the trousers, they were a plain navy serge while the jacket had a herringbone pattern (and another shade of navy). Luckily I have a suit with almost a perfect match of fabric that could benefit from an extra pair of trousers. Still, I'm gonna request a partial refund.

Very curious to see pictures! Shame about the mis-matching, hope the seller wil cooperate!

Regarding my jacket; I just came across this add for a 'two-button varsity' jacket. It also has the piping and two narrowly placed buttons.

Schermafbeelding2014-10-23om092303_zps506779e8.png

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I've noticed that most waist seam jackets, including mine, have very slanted (almost vertical) hip pockets. Anyone have any theory as to how that came to be?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the waist seam and near-vertical pockets are both hangers-on from the Victorian era, having their last gasp in the 1917-1919 fashion versions.
both probably have equestrian origins, but i don't go that far back in my research. you should know the answer ! ;)

p.s. have you seen this book ?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fashion-Ill...0&sr=1-1&keywords=men's+fashion+illustrations

it's very good for clothing details of the 1900-10 period.

Last edited:

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I hadn't seen that book but it certainly looks interesting. Thanks for the tip! I will probably get it once my shopping time-out is over.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I love the 1920s ... but since now I am totally captivated by and reading about Imperial Russia, mainly between 1900 to1917...and so if I may ...this romantic take in Tzarist fashion..

"I can’t stop thinking about Canali’s Fall 2013 collection. It practically haunts me in my sleep at night." ----- I agree with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy