Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer hat for rainy Seattle

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Mahagonny Bill said:
... When it gets stormy, I wear a Tilley TH4 Hemp. Not the most fashionable hat but it looks better than a Gortex rain hat, is as breathable as the Panama, and sheds rain like a duck. The price is approx. $80.00 US.
Available in the Seattle area at the David Morgan showroom for $75. To the right is the much uglier Gore-tex Seattle Sombrero available at Seattle-based REI.

4004moc_lg.jpg
682959.jpg

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Lefty -

Those pictures are great!

Lamont - I have a Resistol San Antonio, an OR clone. I like it a lot, and will wear it on cooler days, but I don't think it would go with the shorts, casual collared shirt and athletic shoes look that is the summer uniform where I work.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Sinatra's style

I always thought the straw-weave hats with the broad, wrapped band that Sinatra often wore looked like perfect summer hats. I'm thinking about hats like these:
093624724223.jpg

724352350223.jpg

But I haven't seen anything like this in a modern fedora...and haven't seen vintage versions for sale. Anyone have better luck?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
jazzncocktails said:
I always thought the straw-weave hats with the broad, wrapped band that Sinatra often wore looked like perfect summer hats. I'm thinking about hats like these:

724352350223.jpg

But I haven't seen anything like this in a modern fedora...and haven't seen vintage versions for sale. Anyone have better luck?
It's just a charcoal grey straw fedora (Sinatra's straw hats pictured here have a telescope crown) with a light grey or silvery puggaree.

For example you can get this Bailey in black for $45 and add the puggaree from David Morgan for $5:

Bailey-63200-2T.jpg
887_1620chl_detail.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Another option

I wear a polypro Joe fedora for kayaking - it has also stood up very well to a 2-week vacation in Cape Breton with rain...every...single...day... It has a fairly open weave so is significantly cooler than my straw. You clean it by dunking in water and scrubbing if necessary. It has a chin cord - I use it for kayaking, but it could be cut off - and a wicking sweat band that works. Many people post that older polypro hats are too hot, but this is not like that. I wear this on the water 3-4 times a week in hot weather and it's really good. I think it would work well for you. Price is currently reduced, with coupon code SWEET$10 it goes down to $50 plus shipping.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=247

Cheers Carl - BTW I'm a Seattle native (well, Renton, actually) and did a lot of hiking in the Olympics in my day - this hat would work great for that.

It's the hat on the right in these photos:

rgraham

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
For doing whatever it is that you Seattle people do, here are a some options.
sandhamn_21_green.gif

Although not the most stylish of hats, this can't be beat for wearing in any kind of rain. It's like wearing an umbrella on your head. Classic.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
For doing whatever it is that you Seattle people do, here are a some options.
6544-480-428.jpg

Lefty,

You are not a well man. You need professional help.

Unfortunately, I'm as sick as you are and can offer NO help. lol

Doc

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
carldelo said:
I wear a polypro Joe fedora for kayaking - it has also stood up very well to a 2-week vacation in Cape Breton with rain...every...single...day... It has a fairly open weave so is significantly cooler than my straw. You clean it by dunking in water and scrubbing if necessary. It has a chin cord - I use it for kayaking, but it could be cut off - and a wicking sweat band that works. Many people post that older polypro hats are too hot, but this is not like that. I wear this on the water 3-4 times a week in hot weather and it's really good. I think it would work well for you. Price is currently reduced, with coupon code SWEET$10 it goes down to $50 plus shipping.

http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=247

Cheers Carl - BTW I'm a Seattle native (well, Renton, actually) and did a lot of hiking in the Olympics in my day - this hat would work great for that.

These are great hats. I ordered a Joe Fedora, but sent it back. I wasn't crazy about the brim and the crown height was too short for my tastes. But holding it in my hand made me a believer in the idea of a poypro hat. That's why I ordered the Akubra. Can't wait to get it.

And...to answer your question....I ordered the Fawn color.

carldelo

One Too Many
HatDoc said:
These are great hats. I ordered a Joe Fedora, but sent it back. I wasn't crazy about the brim and the crown height was too short for my tastes. But holding it in my hand made me a believer in the idea of a poypro hat. That's why I ordered the Akubra. Can't wait to get it.

And...to answer your question....I ordered the Fawn color.

That Capricorn is sweet - it would be very stylin' to wear in a kayak. If it came in size 62 I'd have at least two by now - gray and fawn probably. You've got to figure the Aussies know how to do a hot-weather hat correctly.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
JohnnyB53 said:
It's just a charcoal grey straw fedora (Sinatra's straw hats pictured here have a telescope crown) with a light grey or silvery puggaree.
Thanks, Johnny...makes sense. I do like the telescope crown and haven't seen them offered anywhere in straw hats lately. But good to know that the puggaree (didn't know it was called that) can be added later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot