Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summertime then and now ...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Stores these days are waaay too eager to get to the sales. I'd heard rumor that Hobby Lobby is already setting up their Halloween AND Christmas merchandise.

I saw a TV commercial a few minutes ago advertising “back to school” swag from Walmart.

It’s July 11.

Let me repeat that.

It’s July 11.

I think our local schools start the first week of August. We never started before first of September. Of course, they get out earlier in the spring than we used to, and they get a lot more days off during the school year. "Summer" ain't what it used to be.

Around here the kids are in school through almost the end of June and are back by the middle of August. They get longer breaks throughout the school year than what was the norm generations back. Still, I wouldn’t trade what we had for today’s schedule.

Local schools here started classes yesterday, August 8.

It’s literally the middle of summer — midway between the solstice and the equinox.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Stores these days are waaay too eager to get to the sales. I'd heard rumor that Hobby Lobby is already setting up their Halloween AND Christmas merchandise.

I have mixed feelings on this. It always feels like wishing the time away too quickly on the one hand. On the other, working in the university sector where our salaries have not kept up with inflation, I'm glad for the opportunity to have more sales and a longer run-up to Christmas now I'm earning, in real terms, 25% less than I was in 2009. Had our salaries risen in line with inflation, I'd have several hundred more in my account at the end of the month. Still, it beats retirement given my pension won't be close to enough to live on!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
On the other, working in the university sector where our salaries have not kept up with inflation, I'm glad for the opportunity to have more sales and a longer run-up to Christmas now I'm earning, in real terms, 25% less than I was in 2009. Had our salaries risen in line with inflation, I'd have several hundred more in my account at the end of the month.
A City denizen who specializes in global finance I can acknowledge ''Threadneedle Street's'' 7.9% but actual
inflation is near another two points higher. Make it an even ten percent for good street measure. Bank of England
inflatory goal is 2% and be that as it may such will not happen anytime soon.
The American Federal Reserve also targets 2% yet the USA CPI core for June was 4.5%; again a street tax adds
two points for 6.5% thru summer. Also the US Two and Ten year treasuries have inverted yield curvature indicating
recession, which confirms the American economy is already in a slow growth recession.
Oil is nervous Nellie because of Ukraine sea drone attacks though gold is calmer as the American economy chugs.

Bugguy

Practically Family
"It seems I can’t read a mission statement from any organization allegedly serving young people that doesn’t make some mention of the “leadership skills” their program will impart on the little buzzards."

Three thoughts on this thread...

1st.: Play is an essential part of human socialization.

2nd.: The original mission of the Chicago Boys Clubs was to "provide our good kids with and alternative to the street". Unfortunately that devolved into "let's rehabilitate the gang-bangers" and we lost the good kids.

3rd.:: As a former elementary teacher, 2 1/2 months without a paycheck required adjustment. That's why we jumped at getting summer school hours. At the time, I naively thought a staggered school year made sense, i.e. year round for the teachers and the facilities, but the students would retain some form of staggered vacations, maybe not months, but some block of time so families could have a vacation together - it would require Dick and Jane to be on then same schedule. However, for many teachers, that sounded too much like work.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The American Labour Day holiday weekend puts summer to bed and horse punters such as meself
play out the end of Saratoga and Del Mar offerings looking to make profitable wagers. The Pacific Classic,
Flower Bowl, Del Mar Dueling and the Oaks for filles and mares proved score sure enough but me luck hit
a snag in Saratoga's last stakes The Hopeful wherein Bob Baffert pulled Muth out at the last minute for a
later stakes at Santa Anita, collapsing my card. Now being Irish I can sense an omen since Bob's horse Arabian Knight won The Pacific, so the air was ripe for winged faires and leprechauns dancing across paddocks,
but the English side of me-myself took to mathematics instead. Wrote dance card dirt track to stirrup, bet
all the bankroll like a good lad snug as a bug in the rug. Nutter Fella, a 50-1 longest shot overturns all.
A handful of dollars left me and on holiday this week, I am scrounging for bettable Asian and Australian
tracks with a few superfectas laid down at Martingate Australia. Summer turns autumnal.

The American Labour Day holiday weekend puts summer to bed and horse punters such as meself
play out the end of Saratoga and Del Mar offerings looking to make profitable wagers. The Pacific Classic,
Flower Bowl, Del Mar Dueling and the Oaks for filles and mares proved score sure enough but me luck hit
a snag in Saratoga's last stakes The Hopeful wherein Bob Baffert pulled Muth out at the last minute for a
later stakes at Santa Anita, collapsing my card. Now being Irish I can sense an omen since Bob's horse Arabian Knight won The Pacific, so the air was ripe for winged faires and leprechauns dancing across paddocks,
but the English side of me-myself took to mathematics instead. Wrote dance card dirt track to stirrup, bet
all the bankroll like a good lad snug as a bug in the rug. Nutter Fella, a 50-1 longest shot overturns all.
A handful of dollars left me and on holiday this week, I am scrounging for bettable Asian and Australian
tracks with a few superfectas laid down at Martingate Australia. Summer turns autumnal.

"Nutter Fella, a 50-1 longest shot overturns all."

Been there.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Last night over in Aus came up dry but no use cryin in me coffee over this passed. Tis the Dream for sure
Thr then back Del Mar for the Smoke next and dive Saturday. Love the American exactitude for callused
brain work dead reckon still Bob's a cipher for the lamp heat spilled him over Arabian Knight. So I figure sure Muth was pulled on cuse. And I should have sensed the magic. All against the grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner