Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Survived a near-death experience with my Aero jacket by my side...

Navin323i

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
Yeah the store said that certain gear is not considered "clothing" and therefore not exempt from sales tax. The lady mentioned that women's high-heel shoes are also subject to sales tax (which makes no sense to me at all). [huh] Crazy tax laws, I guess.

Good morning! Almost missed seeing your post here since I was composing my last post around the same time you sent yours.

High heel shoes subject to PA sales tax??? That doesn't sound right... I wonder how PA defines "high heel" because I know my wife, being from Pittsburgh originally, has bought PLENTY (I would say too many but she'd beat me up if she read this post, lol ) of shoes, some with heels and I don't recall that she was charged the tax. Maybe the heel has to be a certain length for it to classified as a high heel.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Scary thing happened this weekend... this time to my WIFE...

My wife got into serious car accident over at NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, MD) on friday evening as she was leaving to go pick up our little girls... brakes failed on her (brakes were serviced by Hyundai dealership about a week and a half ago) and to avoid hitting the cars in front of her she swerved onto a curb, narrowly missed hitting a light pole but hit a tree from the passenger side rear door area.

Air bags deployed, her left eye was bruised up pretty badly along with bad headaches and lacerations to her arm. She's lucky to be alive.

By the time I arrived at NIST, NIST police and paramedics were on the scene and she was on the stretcher... absolute scariest sight I've ever seen... i consoled my wife who was crying at this point and followed her in the ambulance to the hospital where we stayed for about 8 hours until late friday night... fortunately the kids were safe at their daycare/babysitters and were able to stay there until I picked them up close to midnight.

NIST police helped us out by arranging for a tow truck to tow the car to Hyundai dealership... adjuster should see the car hopefully within the next few days to determine if the car is totaled... definite damage to the front wheel area including the wishbone components, cosmetic damage to hood and passenger side rear door which was dented in... I'm not sure of the full extent of damage underneath the car since she drove onto the curb, but we'll see. I'm just happy she's ok and that things could have been a whole lot worse.

This time I didn't have my Aero jacket by my side, but strangely enough I had my new horsehide vest on... what is it with horsehide and car issues for me? :D

too much coffee

Practically Family
Wow Navin...........relieved to hear your wife is OK. What an experience!
What model of Hyundai? My wife has a 2006 Sonata; best car she's ever had.
Sincerely, I hope everything turns out OK. I would seek retaining an attorney (better yet consulting with 2 or 3 of them). Gather all your brake related paper work and really go for the smack down on the dealership.........remember the Toyota runaway cars and related brake incidents?

Take care brother man.......coffee

P.S. Horsehide rules!

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Wow Navin...........relieved to hear your wife is OK. What an experience!
What model of Hyundai? My wife has a 2006 Sonata; best car she's ever had.
Sincerely, I hope everything turns out OK. I would seek retaining an attorney (better yet consulting with 2 or 3 of them). Gather all your brake related paper work and really go for the smack down on the dealership.........remember the Toyota runaway cars and related brake incidents?

Take care brother man.......coffee

P.S. Horsehide rules!

Thanks Coffee. We have a 2007 Hyundai Tucson Limited. We may look into getting an attorney, especially given her medical costs if our insurance company isn't able to help us out. Fortunately I have all the paperwork from the dealership where they serviced the brakes... they did a brake fluid flush, resurfaced the front rotors, and replaced the brake pads. My insurance adjuster warned me that it's going to be difficult to prove that the dealership was negligent with the brakes only because towards the end of my wife's ordeal the brakes started working again, so they temporarily failed on her... it could have been an air pocket/bubble in the brake lines.

On a separate note, yes, horsehide definitely rules. ;)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Wow! Glad to hear your wife is OK. It does sound like they didn't bleed the brake lines properly, after working on them. At least the kids were spared having to go through that. Guess that's something.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
Wow! Glad to hear your wife is OK. It does sound like, they didn't bleed the brake lines properly, after working on them. At least the kids were spared, having to go through that. Guess that's something.

Thanks David. You're so right... kids were spared this ordeal... we're very lucky. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
It's a difficult thing to prove negligence in a situation like this. Can be done but look for years of litigation if they fight it.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Well, if the car gets totaled and we wind up having to shop for a new car, I'll be sure to speak to that dealership and let them know that prior to the accident we were considering buying from their dealership again but after the negligent service we received and the fact that the dealership did NOTHING to help us, despite the fact that we've given them business for years now, we're considering going elsewhere for a new car... then we'll see what they might do to help us out if anything.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Navin

forgive me if I can answer only today to your post: I'm REALLY happy that you and your wife survived and are ok!!

PS
You look absolutely fantastic in your jacket! Wasn't your grandfather from Karnataka? I have two friends from there, plus I met many guys working here, mostly from Punjab.
Great people all of them! Proud, sincere people you can rely on :)

Ciao!!

Navin323i

Practically Family
Italian-wiseguy said:
Navin

forgive me if I can answer only today to your post: I'm REALLY happy that you and your wife survived and are ok!!

PS
You look absolutely fantastic in your jacket! Wasn't your grandfather from Karnataka? I have two friends from there, plus I met many guys working here, mostly from Punjab.
Great people all of them! Proud, sincere people you can rely on :)

Ciao!!

Ciao, my friend!

No need for me to forgive you, bro. Thank you for responding to my post here and I appreciate your very kind words. :)

Thanks for the kind words about my jacket too. You have an excellent memory... yes, my family including my grandfather all originated from Karnataka state. :)

So you have Indian friends working with you in Italy? That's great. I've had the pleasure of working with Italian gents and I can say the same thing as you... very proud and sincere people you can rely upon. All my Italian friends kept telling me the same thing... I apparently resemble a Southern Italian singer by the name of Fiorello (I had sang for my Italian friends a few times). Have you heard of this person?

Navin

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Fiorello!

Believe it or not, that's the first person that came to my mind when I saw your pic the first time! :)

Anyway, there's a quite numerous and growing indian community here in Parma and the nearby zone; you even saw indian guys playing cricket (they're the only ones that play cricket in Italy; italian national cricket team is entirely formed by indian, pakistani and bangladeshi guys).

Plus, as a script-writer, I'd really like to work in India, where there's a big movie industry that's always growing in quantity and quality!

Ciao to you and your nice family!! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Italian-wiseguy said:
Fiorello!

Believe it or not, that's the first person that came to my mind when I saw your pic the first time! :)

Anyway, there's a quite numerous and growing indian community here in Parma and the nearby zone; you even saw indian guys playing cricket (they're the only ones that play cricket in Italy; italian national cricket team is entirely formed by indian, pakistani and bangladeshi guys).

Plus, as a script-writer, I'd really like to work in India, where there's a big movie industry that's always growing in quantity and quality!

Ciao to you and your nice family!! :)

lol That's so funny that you too thought I resemble Fiorello... I guess I do resemble him then. :D

I have heard of Parma... they have a football (soccer) team if I recall. :)

Have your friends taught you to play cricket yet? It's definitely a fun game. That's great that you're a script-writer, and you're right... India has a HUGE film industry affectionately referred to as "Bollywood".

Speaking of Bollywood and cricket, if you get a chance you should see an Indian movie by the name of "Lagaan". That movie will definitely help to instill a greater appreciation for the sport of cricket, and it's an entertaining movie as well. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael