Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspender button placement

Edward

Bartender
I have one further question for those who've responded so far. I wonder about the difference between cloth suspenders (Barathea or boxcloth) with an elastic portion in the back, versus fully elastic suspenders. The cloth type seems more traditional, but I wonder if there's much difference in wearing them.

I have just recently taken delivery of my first pair of braces that are not fully elasticated - in fact, I've been wearing them most of the last week. They're Albert Sergeant, in box cloth, with the elastic rear. Normally, they're more expensive than I could justify, however, I managed to find a pair for just under thirty quid (I normally pay in the region of £15 for a decent, all-elastic pair). I don't find much difference in use, to be honest. I very much like them, though. The main difference I notice is that you have to be just that little bit more careful putting them on when you're used to stretching the front piece and lifiting it up onto your shoulder. That aside, little different. They seem to be less prone to wondering across my shoulders, but I don't know if that is simply perception or not.

FWIW, these AS braces came with a full set of six buttons in the box - nice, dished black plastic ones, which I thought was a nice touch.

carldelo

One Too Many
Update - I ordered these moveable metal clip-on buttons and received them today:

suspenderstore_2148_6823495.jpg

http://www.suspenderstore.com/noezm.html

They work very well, are the correct size and grab the waistband fine. Going forward, I plan to use these to determine button placement on trousers - i.e. wear braces with the temp buttons for a day and fine tune the location, then sew on permanent buttons. In fact, the buttons I sewed on the trousers I'm wearing today are slightly off - I used these to settle on a new location in a couple of minutes. The only drawback to them is they're pretty shiny and draw attention - if someone would do these in matte black and brown, I would buy several sets.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The main difference I notice is that you have to be just that little bit more careful putting them on when you're used to stretching the front piece and lifiting it up onto your shoulder. That aside, little different.

That's my one complaint about them; a bit akward getting them over the shoulder. Otherwise, they do seem to be on par with fully-elasticated suspenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner