Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders and a belt?

Uniform wise it would be like having a Sam Browne set up with the strap over the back to hold up the whole kit and kaboodle.

I do the belt & suspenders sometimes because I am used to a belt more than suspenders and it makes the top of my pants less susceptable to rollover from Dunlaps Disease.[huh]

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Didn't that used to be an actual term in the UK? Saying someone was a "belt and braces guy" meant that they were, "overly cautious."

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I try not to mix braces and a belt.
McGregor12106Office-vi.jpg
and one more
GusWoodrow-vi.jpg

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Safety first...

Lone_Ranger said:
Didn't that used to be an actual term in the UK? Saying someone was a "belt and braces guy" meant that they were, "overly cautious."

Yes and it still is for people older than about 35. British (mainly English) culture has a self deprecating side to it (as well as many other sides), so that we make fun of ourselves or others who seem to be too cautious. We seem to be worried or concerned with being perceived as having a certain timidity, or being 'stuck in the mud(s)' compared to say, people from the USA. Maybe the phrase started after the WW2 in both countries(?)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I knew an old time mechanic (born in 1901) who wore belt and suspenders with his work britches, but no socks. He never wore socks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR