Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Symbol of Achievement

ii-5-i

New in Town
I feel guilty being a lurker here for the last month or so. I've purchased six vintage hats since joining the FL and owe 100% of my knowledge of hats to the helpful enthusiasts who keep this site vital.

I try to rationalize my new found zeal by saying to myself, it's a lot cheaper than collecting cars, guitars/amps, fine art, Indian Jewely and jazz lps!

I want to contribute this article I came across yesterday. I found it an interesting and quaint idea.
http://www.oia.mines.edu/fun_stuff/mines_stetson/default.htm

Best to all,

Rich

JeffW

Familiar Face
Very interesting article. I wonder how many "seniors" if any, had the hat for the 2005 graduation?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Nice contribution...

Very interesting. I found this quote very telling:

"Customer representatives of the present day Hat Brands Incorporated, which bought out the John B. Stetson hat company, could not confirm the story. As a matter of fact, little historic information is available from the company."

Michael D

Familiar Face
I went to Mines - didn't get the Stetson

I went to Mines my Freshman year of college. That was 1972 and getting the Stetson was still quite prevalent. I remember that not only did Mines seniors wear the Stetson but there was a special Mines block you had to have in the hat. It indicated that you went to CSM.

Alas I didn't graduate from Mines so I never got the Stetson.

On a related note, I used to go to Cottrell's (hat store mentioned in the article). I bought three Stetsons from them, an Indiana Jones (circa 1984), a Stetsonian (fedora) and a Gun Club Dune. The only one I've still got is the Gun Club.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo