Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tablecloths in the 1930s and 1940s

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I've been trying to find out what kind of tablecloths (if any) would of been used on a parlor table in the livingroom in the 30s and 40s. I have my eye on a long fringed one, but now I'm wondering if it would be appropriate for a 1930s-1940s home decor. We're putting together an eclectic 30s-40s home decor and have started in the livingroom. I've got an old family parlor table that I'm using between a chair and a sofa. Its in an octogan shape and the wood is nice, but I think a lacey table "topper" with long fringe would look even nicer with the wood showing through. I haven't purchased the tablecloth so I can't show you a picture, but I was hoping someone had some thoughts on the this.
Thanks!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lace would have been very common for such a tablecloth -- the Sears catalogs of the era generally contain a couple pages full of "Quaker lace," "Tuscany lace" and "Filet-style lace". I don't see a lot of long fringe though -- all the tablecloths shown have neat, hemmed edges.

Another option that would be period-correct would be table runners -- leaving some of the wood exposed but covering the middle portion of the top. These also came in various kinds of lace or embroidered cottons, depending on the formality of the room.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Oh, duh!:eusa_doh:
I didn't think to look in the Sears catalogs re: tablecloths. I've got a book with Sears catalogs from 1930 to 1939 and I forgot that there's other things listed in there besides clothing.
Thanks, Lizzie for your input. I've decided to use stuff I like in my decor as opposed to only things in the era. I think people back then would have used items from previous eras (like family pieces) in their homes because not everyone had the money to totally re-do their home in the current decor trend. I certainly don't have the money to totally re-do my home at the same time. It'll be a carefully chosen one piece at a time.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
besides catalogs, another great place to look would be period crochet/knitting books and magazines. you could probably find similar pieces to what's inside on ebay/antique store/etc, if you didn't want to make it yourself. i always see tons for various household decorations, but not for the sweaters i want to make!

Sunny

One Too Many
My grandmother often uses a crocheted lace tablecloth that her mother or mother-in-law made. That would be one of my great-grandmothers, who would've been 30-ish in the 1930s and 1940s. My grandmother uses it over a solid colored tablecloth, or by itself over the wood.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Not exactly what you mentioned but embroidered cloths were very popular in the 30s/40s. I personally like white work ones (white embroidered on white cloth) which often have thread work too, where some of the threads are pulled out to make a pattern and some of the table will show through.

Of course, you can have lots of different ones and change them round as the mood takes you.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
40's tablecloths

I have a stack of somewhat faded 40's vintage print tablecloths. Anybody interested? They're the kind that would be used on an informal dining room or kitchen table. I'd rather share them with Fedoristas than sell them at a stoop sale (Brooklynese for yard sale) or take them to the Salvation Army.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
**Thread Moved**

Sorry ladies, but with the lounge growing so large, we need to keep the PR about lady things. More home items are located here in Golden Era.

Thanks,

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925