Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Question.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I have only one suit - I admit I don't have much opportunity to wear it; weddings and funerals.

My dad was married in the suit. He gave it to me after he ascended to a greater bodily size. My guess is that it was made in the 70s some time, since my dad was married in 80 or 81... I think.

It could very well be crap; I couldn't know. Tag and lining say "HARDY AMIES (London)" and then the inside pocket says Newport Clothes Southern California - it is navy(for all practically purposes BLACK) with very thin gray and red pinstripes that aren't visible except by close inspection. It is 3-piece, single breasted. (There doesn't seem to be a point in posting pictures, unless I'm pressed.)

Anyway, despite the fact that I would have never chosen that color, apart from funeral-wear, I really like the suit. My only problem is - I am a little taller than my dad was.

So here is the question, and I'm sure it will sound stupid and I am expecting the answer to be NO WAY!:

Is it possible to alter a suit to be longer? (most necessary being a couple inches to the pant leg.)

It doesn't seem possible, but here's hoping.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Sure its possible to let out a suit providing that there is enough material in the cuffs to let out. Just take it to a tailer and see what he can do for you.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
That is good to know, Victor. That brings me to another inquiry: Is there a recommended place to take it to in the Bay Area and how much would it cost?

---

Starting this post made me curious of how well it fit - I hadn't tried it on for awhile, so I put it on... and since it was on, I took some pictures...

Seeing as that second button is so visible, it looks like I need to make that part of the jacket bigger, too - or embark on a strict sit-up regiment.

suit2.jpg

suit.jpg

It seems I need a new tie.

Victor

One of the Regulars
I don't know about a particular place. I'm sure that the mens wearhouse could do it. I'm sure that there are smaller more quality tailors, I just don't know of them. My feeling is that its either an easy job if there is enough material to use, or it can't be done if there isn't.

Canadave

One Too Many
ANY men's shop (or women's shop, for that matter, if one is more convenient) should be able to do it. Up here, dry cleaners do those alterations as well.

David

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jack Scorpion said:
It could very well be crap; I couldn't know. Tag and lining say "HARDY AMIES (London)" and then the inside pocket says Newport Clothes Southern California...

A Hardy Amies would at worst be a good suit, and at best a very good suit. It sounds like it meets your needs so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Amies was a Savile Row designer (as opposed to tailor) 30 years ago, and sold very high end stuff. What you have was likely designed for the US market, and very likely USA made. Similar to, say, Burberry, Aquascutum or Gieves & Hawkes suits sold in the US.

You'll get as much as 3" from the cuffs themselves, and possibly more if there is extra fabric folded up inside the leg. You'll likely lose any pants cuffs, of course, but that's okay.

It's a very simple alteration, that I *might* trust to a dry cleaner, but I would recommend contacting a local independent men's shop (the sort *you can't afford to shop in, not Men's Wearhouse) and asking them who they would recommend for alterations. Take the whole suit in, and be prepared to pay ~$100 for complete alterations. That seems expensive, but considering what you paid for the suit, not a bad price for a suit that fits.

Another important question is, are the jacket sleeves long enough with your added height? It's quite possible they are as most men tend not to get the sleeves taken up properly. Suit sleeves should be short enough to see 1/4"-1/2" of "linen" (shirt cuff) with your arms hanging down. Shirt sleeves should be long enough that they reach to your wrist when you bend your arm.

Another caveat, if you're significantly taller than your father the suit might simply be too short (a "Regular" as opposed to a "Long" for example). If you're within a couple of inches it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and a dark navy blue like that is a perfect color if you're going to have only one suit. Sounds like your father chose well.

*Perhaps I project. It's the sort I can't afford to shop in, but love to browse in and buy on sale from time to time. That's how I found a trustworthy alterations tailor.

Victor

One of the Regulars
Looks like a good fit to me. Maybe you want to fine tune it but from the pics it fits already. Good match with the hat too. I like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner