Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take a look at what I found at a Goodwill store

yanito

New in Town
I decided to stop in to see if there was anything of interest. I noticed a cowboy hat at the back of the store.

So I went over, picked it up, turned it over and to my surprise it's a Stetson!

The lining is in mint condition. Not a spot of sweat. The sweatband is also perfect. I have a feeling no one wore this hat. I checked the sweatband and found this.

and this

I couldn't believe I found a XXXXX hat for only this price,

Now I have a few questions since I'm not one to buy cowboy hats.

What's the time period of this hat?

This hat needs some steam and reshaping but I don't know how this cowboy hat is supposed to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yanito

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Between Goodwill and Estate sales, I have been getting all kinds of hats lately.....don't forget antique stores too... although i must admit they kind of have the prices up a bit there, but ya never know....

HATCO

Vendor
Stetson had a licensee in Canada back in the day.. The SWF in the tag could stand for one of two things....

Stetson Western Felt

or

Stetson Wool Felt

What does it feel like?

yanito

New in Town
It definately feels soft like a fur felt. The fact that it's marked 5X would mean that it's a beaver blend, no?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Ordinary Guy said:
Between Goodwill and Estate sales, I have been getting all kinds of hats lately.....don't forget antique stores too... although i must admit they kind of have the prices up a bit there, but ya never know....

True, but often a crappy sixties hat, in a small size will be $30, but then a fantastic blue 40s hat in a good size will still be the same price. They usually won't adjust up for what we would consider desirability.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd mod that hat into a nice fedora style, brim trim, new grosgrain ribbon, maybe even a brim binding. Grey would be an interesting choice for ribbon accents. Thin ribbon, of course.

dean

yanito

New in Town
What does the number of X's on a hat signify? I've always thought it represented the amount of beaver fur blended in. I've seen Stetson hats at 20x, even 200x. Can someone clear this up?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Good starting place for a conversion! I'd say it is fairly modern but better experts than me on here. Great snag! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I agree, the lining logo indicates a modern Stetson.
deanglen said:
I'd mod that hat into a nice fedora style, brim trim, new grosgrain ribbon, maybe even a brim binding. Grey would be an interesting choice for ribbon accents. Thin ribbon, of course.
I agree, I have done several cowboy conversions to fedoras. For inspiration, check out The Conversion Corral.

jwalls

Vendor
yanito said:
What does the number of X's on a hat signify? I've always thought it represented the amount of beaver fur blended in. I've seen Stetson hats at 20x, even 200x. Can someone clear this up?
The number of X's means what ever that maker says it means. My hatter marks his 100% beaver hats 100X,but you will see 1000X from some manufacturers. :eusa_doh:

HatRak

Familiar Face
IIRC, Stetson doesn't reveal the specifics of the X designation in their hats. Something about "proprietary manufacturing information." I guess that, if they told you the ratio of beaver to hare to rabbit to floor sweepings, they'd have to kill you. :D The only thing I've ever heard Stetson cop to was that the higher the X's, the higher the quality of the hat. The highest I've seen in a modern Stetson is the 1000x Diamante which is billed as "genuine chinchilla and beaver." The next one would be the 100x Cattle Baron which is "100% Beaver" ($800.00) and the 100x El Presidente ($750.00) which is represented simply as "genuine beaver."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn