Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tales of a Timelord.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone ever tried to track down what hat Tom Baker wore in the Doctor Who series? Indiana Jones colour but really tall with a really wide brim.
Johnny

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
A little time with a TARDIS, it's fun to think about...

What about a Ford Model T? I know nothing about cars, but didn't they start as a kit? You could perhaps take the parts through individually?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have no idea what the hat is, but I have always suspected that it was a Herbert Johnson. Once again, I have no proof.

Here is an interesting story about the scarf, if you don't know it; they wanted a multi-colored scarf for Tom Baker, so the producers went out and bought yarn and gave it to the wardrobe department. They essentially said, make a multi-colored scarf out of this yarn. So, the wardrobe department used all of the yarn and came up with the long scarf.

Bargepole

New in Town
The Doctor's Hat

Don't know about the others, but the burgundy-coloured velours one is Herbert Johnson, from the days when they were in Old Burlington Street. I had just been appointed to the staff of the late and intermittently lamented "Punch" magazine in around 1982/3 and bought a burgundy velours to celebrate, then wore it down to the French Pub in Soho to show off. "Hell of a hat," said one of the regulars, T. Baker Esq; "Where did you get it?" "Herbet Johnson," I said. "Jolly good," he said, and off he trotted -- I like to believe -- to Old Burlington Street to buy one for himself. (I also have a baby-blue one, a dove-grey one, a pale fawn one and a chocolate brown, though damned if I know where the blue one is. Those were the days.)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bargepole said:
Don't know about the others, but the burgundy-coloured velours one is Herbert Johnson, from the days when they were in Old Burlington Street. I had just been appointed to the staff of the late and intermittently lamented "Punch" magazine in around 1982/3 and bought a burgundy velours to celebrate, then wore it down to the French Pub in Soho to show off. "Hell of a hat," said one of the regulars, T. Baker Esq; "Where did you get it?" "Herbet Johnson," I said. "Jolly good," he said, and off he trotted -- I like to believe -- to Old Burlington Street to buy one for himself. (I also have a baby-blue one, a dove-grey one, a pale fawn one and a chocolate brown, though damned if I know where the blue one is. Those were the days.)
Would you mind posting some photos, My Good Man?

Bargepole

New in Town
Hemingway Jones said:
Would you mind posting some photos, My Good Man?

Here's one: the fawn one and the dove-grey (and in the front, a Herbert Johnson black "Poet" from the 1970s, before HJ moved back to Bond Street from Old Burlington Street). Flash doesn't do it, so I'll take a couple more in the morning.

HJfedorae.jpg

As for the avatar -- just a snap someone took down in Holborn station. No real story behind it, but I could make one up if demand existed. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy