Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tales Of The Gold Monkey - DVD

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
bbc1969 said:
My Goodness, and who could have forgot a bit of Black Sheep Squadron thrown in for good measure.

I'll take any of these off in the history department, campy shows any day over most of the reality crap we have seen on TV for the past ten years.
At the time of Baa Baa Black Sheep, Greg Pappy Boyington was the production technical advisor, he got paid, but had no say in the show. One of his fellow Black Sheep Squadron mates asked how he felt about the poor portrayal of him, he replied, "as long as they don't put me in a dress I don't care"!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
You Guys forgot Rat Patrol( I have the first season)!!! Me I loved Black Sheep Squadron and Tales Of the Gold Monkey. Planes and dames, what else is there. Oh yeah leather jackets and guns sorry guys.lol

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Phantomfixer said:
You Guys forgot Rat Patrol( I have the first season)!!! Me I loved Black Sheep Squadron and Tales Of the Gold Monkey. Planes and dames, what else is there. Oh yeah leather jackets and guns sorry guys.lol

I hadn't seen Rat Patrol since I was a little kid, so I was shocked when I got it on dvd to find out that it was a half hour show! But its great because it makes for very efficient story telling. Great theme too.

Doug

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
SAS

Phantomfixer said:
Loved the episode where the squadron got their new G1s, even then, as a teenager, I thought how great it would be to find a crate like that! Loved The Rat Patrol, led me to a life long interest in the SAS with their Wiley Jeeps, and the LRDG!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Looks good to me. Then again I really like the Young Indiana Jones episodes and anything with a hint of fantastic adventure.

I've not seen Bring 'em Back Alive, but it's now on my list. Link to print version of the inspiration for BEBA, perhaps.

On the points made about quality in general, I'm with those who don't think this really matters. As has been said, we know it's not real. We know it's fantasy and generally agreeable hokum, which is why we're watching it in the first place.

Do we take our inspiration only from movies made with quality, historical accuracy and sreenwriting acumen in mind? I never have, and hope I never will.

The attraction of the adventure genre is that it uses more or less known historical context as the jumping-off point for a tall tale.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
In a similar vein.
Anyone remember this one..?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083391/

http://epguides.com/BringEmBackAlive/

I remember it but was it also the series that had fantastic vehicles-
part aircraft, part tank, etc.?

B
T

Bring Em Back Alive started the same Fall as Gold Monkey. They were kind of competing with each other. I generally preferred Gold Monkey, but I suspect if I were to watch Bring Em Back Alive today I would enjoy it more.

The other interesting this about Bring Em Back Alive, is that the two stars, were also in Tron.

I did like Boxleitner's next show much better, Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

Doug

kiltie

Practically Family
Bought this today...

Boy, it's been a while. I watched the pilot and enjoyed it. Modern cheese that really brings to mind the classic cheese. I'd just as soon not hear any junk about..."Well, you know, this isn't historically accurate...the Flying Tigers blah blah blah..." It's good, solid, cornball entertainment!

There's a clear tip of the hat to Walter Brennan's character in To Have and Have Not which, of course, I didn't realise as a youngster. The "Corky" character is a forgetful alcoholic that uses a lot of cast off Brennan lines.
Jake Cutter is no Magnum PI ( but then, who is? AHEM! greatest television character of all time AHEM! ) and really, all of the characters beyond the dog are pretty flimsy, but it was time well spent. Totally unencumbered by any sense of reality or need to get worked up about anything like thinking :p . Time and money well spent!

MillersXing

New in Town
Greatest TV series - ever! Now on DVD!

I had to write. I’m totally blown away. After years and years of waiting, first though VHS and now DVD… the greatest TV series of all time has come to DVD! Not a bootleg, but the real thing. Beautiful digital transfer (this was one of the most beautifully shot series ever), great sound, and some wonderful bonus tracks. Best of all, it’s as good as I remembered. I’ve had some bad experiences lately with seeing things I had seen years ago, and being embarrassed that I had been praising them all these years. Not with Gold Monkey. As good, if not better than I remember. Because now, being older (I was really little when I first stayed up past my bedtime to watch it), I appreciate so much more, get more of the references. I have a feeling that those on this Lounge cherish the great classic days, when men were men, and women knew how to kick them around! Class. Mostly lost now. You put on a Fedora, and you have it. Bogart, all of us! And Gold Monkey was all that, including the Fedora’s, and great other hats. You will be transported not only into the tropics of the 1930’s and all the great adventure movies of that day, but to a time (the 1980’s), which were, I think, the golden age of TV. When story and character was more important than special effects. Gold Monkey had it all. Check it out. And one thing you’ll notice in the extra’s (a making of documentary, and a commentaries), is that these people not only loved the show and you can see it after all these years, but they loved each other, and that showed as well. Especially these days when all seems to be spilling out of a broken well of greed in the Gulf Coast, this takes you back to a day when the head of BP would have gotten a good slapping around, and the bad guys rounded up and brought to justice… and the good guys would have gotten the girls, and the girls the good guys they deserve.

James71

A-List Customer
I havent seen this series since it aired in the early 80'2 here in Australia. I was about 10 and loved it. I didnt care (or know) that it was historically inaccurate, and I still dont.

Ill buy it when it comes to our region or the next time I am in the states. :)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Dreams

Funny, I am the complete opposite from the rest of you! I hatted it when it first came out, maybe because I was an adult, but still young enough to take my opinion way to seriously, the historical inaccuracies drove me up the wall, I only watched to see the Goose. Now when I watch it, "still love the Goose" I am reminded what was said long before any of us were born, Hollywood is all about dreams!

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I got the set this morning. The picture quality is good. Because this set was prepared for release in the UK by Fantastic Films, it does suffer from the PAL speed up issue, but its not very noticeable.

The documentary was interesting and there were quite a few things that I didn't know about the show. For instance the pilot was the most expensive show done for TV up to that point. (they built a huge jungle set complete with water falls and river) Apparently even more expensive than Battlestar Galactica.

I had also always assumed that the show was canceled because of low ratings, however it was actually a huge hit, and was canceled because of disagreements about the show between Donald Bellisario and ABC. In fact the other networks were trying to figure out how they were going to program shows against it, because they assumed it was going to be renewed. Brandon Tartikoff at NBC assumed it was a show he was going to have to be dealing with for at least 7 or 8 years.

Doug

kiltie

Practically Family
Saw the second episode last night. Because of the tighter timeframe ( 50 minutes as opposed to about 90 ), I think it was better. I don't have much experience with what you'd call Adventure Serials, but have seen a lot of the old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers scifi stuff from the way back: that's what this really reminds me of. The "Mud People" in the second episode really brought to mind the big, boxy robots from those series'. Good stuff.
I haven't seen any of the extras yet, but look forward to seeing them soon.

Havana

One of the Regulars
This is a classic adventure show in the great tradition of the pulp adventure comics and serials of the 30's. It's also got more than a little in common with classic films like To Have and Have Not, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Casablanca and Only Angels Have Wings. Spoiler alert: This ain't no documentary. This is pure pulp. It's fantastic by design. If you can't effectively suspend disbelief for the sake of entertainment or if you have a problem with adventure fantasy, this probably isn't the show for you.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I picked it up last weekend. Been watching an episode a night. Man! What a great show, now that I get all the references it's even better than I remembered it.

-SH-

kiltie

Practically Family
I'm still watching; trying to draw out the experience by only putting it on once or twice a week, as though it were part of a regular rotation.

I saw that Bring 'Em Back Alive was mentioned earlier in the thread. There's a Gold Monkey fansite that has a link for several old shows, one of which is BeBA. Another is the afore mentioned Rat Patrol ( which always makes me chuckle: Rat Patrol is what we call overtime at my workplace...).

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I loved the show when it came out. Yes I was an Indy fan and was probably too young to have been in the theater at the time. But that's what older cousins are for!!

I also remember running home and looking forward to reruns of Black Sheep Squadron!! Pappy and the boys always reminded me of the pics my grandpa showed me of his time in the Pacific. Then just how pi$$ed I was when they changed it to something like the White Shadow...

I will pick up the boxed set of the Gold Monkey though. I figure it's safe TV that my kids and I can watch together without worrying too much. They love the Young Indy series, so I figure I'm on the right track!

Thanks for the heads up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo