Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TCM in the gym

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
So there I was...

I am a military member currently deployed to the Middle East, and as such, find little to do in my off time other than hitting the gym. It is a very nice gym, with plenty of televisons with some selection of channels. One of these is TCM. Many times I have found myself alone in the gym, if only for a few moments, and I take the chance to find something to keep me entertained. Depending on the program, this often ends up being some black and white on TCM. Once set, I have to "misplace" the remote, so as to keep it from ending up on a mindless channel. I find so much humor in watching the gym fill with the big weight lifing folks and watching them breifly search for the remote, then give in and lift weights while watching Judy and Mickey court each other in some silver screen flik.

Is this wrong of me? If so, I dont care. I am entertained by both the program, and the spectacle such a program creates in that enviroment.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
A little selfish, and it's not anyone's television but the gyms, but then again, people are there to exercise, they could watch television at home, and if it still entertains you and them, nothing has really gone wrong. Only an observation, no harm done I hope.

Just watch out for the sports fans!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's only wrong if they become addicted to TCM and can't go back to watching the pap that passes for modern televsion programming these days. Oh hang on a minute - you're doing them a favour! That's not wrong at all! lol

Mojito

One Too Many
I wish the Fitness First chain would put on TCM. No such luck.

Although I was once fortunate enough in my little London gym to catch a screening of The Cruel Sea.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't think you're doing anything unethical, but I think some of your comrades might find it annoying. Would you like it if someone turned the TV to a program you hated and then hid the remote? Don't you think you'd figure out what that person was doing?

I think first come, first served is OK for choosing the TV station. If someone else comes into the gym and wants to change the channel, you might say, "I'm watching that program, if you don't mind." Then when you leave, (and I assume you leave when you're finished working out, not finished watching a movie) nobody has to waste time looking for the remote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL