Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teacore Leather Jacket

BroncoGuy

New in Town
I’m a new member here. I’ve been lurking a while doing research.

I want to buy a black cafe racer. I really like the aged look of teacore jackets. Problem is it seems this style leather is hard to find outside of expensive rare Japanese brands.

Any recommendations for brands that make teacore cafe racers in the $900-$1500 range?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Teacore" is just a marketing term for lighter leathers with a darker/black finish, as opposed to leathers that are dyed all the way through.

Examples include Horween Chromexcel (the standard leather for most Aeros), Aero's 'blackened brown' Vicenza, Lewis Leathers veg-tanned cow, Aero 'Jerky Horsehide', and many others.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Vicenza blackened brown board racer. Stick around long enough, one will hit you in the head on our classifieds or go new via Thurston Bros.

As others mentioned CXL eventual goes brown too, but it's a different sort of effect than what the Vic or the Shinki examples you mentioned will do.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Funnily enough that's what makes me not want a CXL jacket as much as I've liked it in boots. I'm scared the whole thing will turn brown if I so much as blink at it, lol.
basically yeah, but lots of factors. It depends on the thickness of the top coat. But if you're looking for more of the teacore on the wear/high stress spots, I'd suggest Vicenza or of course Shinki. Greg at Field Leathers can make you one for about $1400. This is Shinki Teacore racer from Greg. No signs of brown yet. Probably got several more hundred wears to go, but I'm going to give it my best shot this jacket season. Luigi Bordonaro (@luigivmario) • Instagram photos and videos

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
basically yeah, but lots of factors. It depends on the thickness of the top coat. But if you're looking for more of the teacore on the wear/high stress spots, I'd suggest Vicenza or of course Shinki. Greg at Field Leathers can make you one for about $1400. This is Shinki Teacore racer from Greg. No signs of brown yet. Probably got several more hundred wears to go, but I'm going to give it my best shot this jacket season. Luigi Bordonaro (@luigivmario) • Instagram photos and videos

Yeah, I'm familiar with other brown core leathers (see my other post); just saying CXL gets there a little too fast.

The wear on blackened brown Vicenza looks much more like what I've seen on well-worn vintage jackets. (Brown-core Shinki is similar, but a little exaggerated, in keeping with most JP repro stuff. I actually prefer dyed-through Shinki.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy