Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teddy Boy Rock'n'Roll

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'ere's me mate Ritchie...

'e's a right Ted, he is! From the Dingle - Liverpool 8! - Rough stuff, that!

Ringo-RightTed.jpg

-dixon cannon

Salv

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Does anyone know why the lady Teds didn't dress as Edwardian ladies, but rather cross-dressed as Teds? (or if I am as usual mistaken, please advise.)

Not all the girls dressed like the boys, and Edwardian ladies fashion wouldn't have been entirely practical in a London that was still waiting to be rebuilt after the Blitz.

In 1955 future film director Ken Russell took a series of photos of Teddy Girls in west and east London. The girls in Notting Hill in west London were dressed in a US-inspired style with rolled up jeans and ladies suit jackets worn over jumpers or blouses:

TG15-735258.jpg
Ken+Russell+Teddy+Girls+1.jpg

The East End girls were a couple of years older and a bit more elaborate in their style:

ken-russell-teddy-girl.gif
teddygirl.jpg

All of these photos used to be here, but they seem to have been removed now. Google for teddy girls ken russell and you'll find a few more.

This is my favourite of the photos - you wouldn't want to mess with her...
teddygirl.jpg

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
Not all the girls dressed like the boys, and Edwardian ladies fashion wouldn't have been entirely practical in a London that was still waiting to be rebuilt after the Blitz.

In 1955 future film director Ken Russell took a series of photos of Teddy Girls in west and east London. The girls in Notting Hill in west London were dressed in a US-inspired style with rolled up jeans and ladies suit jackets worn over jumpers or blouses:

TG15-735258.jpg
Ken+Russell+Teddy+Girls+1.jpg

The East End girls were a couple of years older and a bit more elaborate in their style:

ken-russell-teddy-girl.gif
teddygirl.jpg

All of these photos used to be here, but they seem to have been removed now. Google for teddy girls ken russell and you'll find a few more.

This is my favourite of the photos - you wouldn't want to mess with her...
teddygirl.jpg
The punks of the 50's!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Salv, for answering my question. When were Gibson Girl costumes ever practical anyway? I kid, but I see your point. WOW! Those pictures! Obviously I hadn't seen any pictures of gals except dressed as Teddy Boys. In all the years I've been interested in this culture I'd never been able to find any information as you've given me.
Ashley

Edward

Bartender
There was an exhibition of photos in London a few years ago, entitled Teddy Girls. Probably the Ken Russell shots? Wish I'd gotten around to going, but it never quite happened.... I did see some of the shots reproduced in a magazine article. What interests me is what must have been the impact of a girl dressing like that back in the mid 50s. PostWar Britain, thanks to the Land Girls was probably aware of the concept of a woman wearing trousers, but nevertheless it must have been a hell of an in-yer-face thing to do for a girl to dress in a mannish way out on the London streets back then. Catsmeow is absolutely right that they were in that sense the equivalent of the punk girls of the 70s..... and probably got just as much hassle for it too.

It seems to me that aside from their general deviation from the norm, a ot of these youth subcultures, especially those associated with rock and roll in its many forms, did a lot to challenge the preceding generation's notion of the female gender role. Would be interesting to read something about that....

I'm also fascinated to see different generations of families who belong to a subculture and pass it down. It's something I'm familiar with see other folks do, even if totally aline to my own personal experience.

Salv

One Too Many
Was that the exhibition at Spitz, Edward? If so, it was the Ken Russell photos they showed. They even managed to track down some of the girls and invited them along to reminisce. I missed it as well though, only finding out about it after it had finished.

Edward

Bartender
Salv said:
Was that the exhibition at Spitz, Edward? If so, it was the Ken Russell photos they showed. They even managed to track down some of the girls and invited them along to reminisce. I missed it as well though, only finding out about it after it had finished.

I think it probably was, yes.... I'm sure it was the Standard's Friday mag I saw it in.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:

In relation to the thread on Glasgow gangs, I hope no fights broke out amongst rival ted girls.

Oh, there is agood question. Did various Ted groups figt each other a lot, or did they stick together and fight other groups?

Edward

Bartender
AFAIK, the Teds, much like a lot of other subcultures, had their 'internal' rivals, though most of the violence was against other groups (often immigrants / other racial groups, and later punks).

Here's a question about Ted style.... I've never seen a photo of a Ted wearing a hat... I suppose it would ruin the elaborate coiffure most sported. :p I'd be curious though as to whether they ever did. This from the POV of a bald guy who wants to acquire a couple of 50s Ted style outfits, and needs a hat to go with it. A friend who is big on the 50s thang suggested a pork-pie....

Edward

Bartender
Digging this one out again.... I've come back to the idea of a true-to-50s style Ted suit as I'm due at a couple of events in November which will have an appropriate slant - seems like a good excuse to finally buy that outfit. ;)

Problem is, only drapes I can seem to find on saled in the UK are all-polyester.... any leads on wool, or will I have to go bespoke?

Salv

One Too Many
Edward - have you tried Colin Taub in Hackney? His website is very basic, and I couldn't find details of fabrics or pricing, but it can't hurt to give him a call.

cherry lips said:
Thanks for posting the cool pics, Salv.
You're welcome - they're some of my absolute favourite youth cult photos.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
Edward - have you tried Colin Taub in Hackney? His website is very basic, and I couldn't find details of fabrics or pricing, but it can't hurt to give him a call.

You're welcome - they're some of my absolute favourite youth cult photos.

he's expensive (at least for an american these days...) but he's the BEST and can definitely do wool last I heard!

mike

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
I've got two Ted drape coats from a company called Clout. Anyone know anything about them?

Nope, the ones I have are from the now closed up, Ted's Corner and Unicorn. I'd love to get a Colin Taub 3 piece suit one day!

Edward

Bartender
Salv said:

Hi Salv, I'll check that out at some point... ended up going with the poly as a budgetary issue this time round, but if I can make the drape look work for me, I will definitely check into his stuff.

Baturally, photos to follow once it's all arrived.... took delivery of the bits from Unicorn today, and they're pretty good. Like the creepers a lot. The trosuers / drape are a nice fit, and the drape has the bonus of proper pockets - so many of them I've seen the pockets are fake. Just waiting now to find a black shirt that'll work, and for the waistcoat to arrive from the Dark Angel. DA are more of a regency-period goth outfitters, but their brocade wasitcoats looked to be bang on...

Edit on 1/10/08:

Waistcoat arrived this morning, very pleased. Again, photos to follow, still need a shirt I'm happy with...

teddyboy53

New in Town
Hi Guys,
Just picked up on your post on Teddy Boys, and thought I'd come and say hi, so 'HI' I'm a Teddy Boy, I live in England, in a town called York and I'm also a member of www.federation-of-teddyboys.co.uk <http://www.federation-of-teddyboys.co.uk>, pop in and say hi sometime. The Teddy Boy scene at the moment is a worldwide thing, and definitely shows no sign of dying down, even though in the fifties it was, described as a passing fad that would only last a few months. Basically, nowadays you have two main types of Teddy Boy you have the 1950s style Ted, of which I am even though I was not a part of the fifties and you have the 1970s style, more colorful and came about in a huge revival of the Ted scene, then also unfortunately you get the idiots that tag along, we call them 'Jive Bunnies' ask any Ted about them and he'll tell you a few tales I bet. Personally I became a Ted in 1980, following on from the 70's revival I had a few colourful Drape jackets and crepe soled shoes to match, now I'm more into the 50s Ted style, a much smarter look I think. We have regular Rockin events all around Britain, and in our 'club' we have members in USA, Brazil, Russia, Australia, Japan and I recon every part of Europe, so yes its well alive and we are very proud to call ourselves Teddy Boys. I recognise and know well a few faces in the photos on this thread, and unfortunately one guy in the photos only died two days ago, one great thing about the English Teddy Boy scene, you can travel anywhare in the UK to a rock n roll gig and you know and recognise people, its just like one big family. Any questions please feel free to ask, I'm on teddyboy53@googlemail.com <mailto:teddyboy53@googlemail.com> if you want and I'm gonna enjoy looking through this Forum of yours, looks very interesting.

Rockin Regards

Jim the English Ted

teddyboy53

New in Town
Edward said:
AFAIK, the Teds, much like a lot of other subcultures, had their 'internal' rivals, though most of the violence was against other groups (often immigrants / other racial groups, and later punks).

Here's a question about Ted style.... I've never seen a photo of a Ted wearing a hat... I suppose it would ruin the elaborate coiffure most sported. :p I'd be curious though as to whether they ever did. This from the POV of a bald guy who wants to acquire a couple of 50s Ted style outfits, and needs a hat to go with it. A friend who is big on the 50s thang suggested a pork-pie....

Hi sorry if this an old post dragged up, but hats on Teddyboys, flat caps are your best bet, made popular by Gene Vincent, never saw any other type of hat on a Ted, apart from maybe a top hat on Screaming Lord Sutch, now he was a nice guy

portada.jpg

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider