Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Harris Tweed?

jwalls

Vendor
Harris tweed has been a favorite of mine. I just picked up a top coat from the 70's, I'm having it retailored now. Unfortunately Las Vegas weather does not call for a topcoat very often.

91_Mustang

New in Town
Being the Doctor Who nerd that I am, I have read that a Harris Tweed jacket will be part of the Doctor's attire when the new season airs next year. This could help the Harris Tweed become a lot more popular.

Also, here's an interesting artical to check out if you have time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8161643.stm

The article does suggest that the Harris Tweed makes the Doctor look like he could be Indiana Jones' nephew. So it very well could be that Professor Jones (Indy) had a Harris Tweed jacket!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I rememember I was in Edinburgh in November last year and I took my coat off to give it to a lady who had come out without one. I was a wearing a Harris Tweed jacket underneath and, in honestly, not having the overcoat on mad little difference. What a warm jacket that is.

Dan D

Familiar Face
BBC series on Harris Tweed.

For UK members, BBC4 are currently showing a three-part series on the Harris Tweed industry here: the first episode is on the iPlayer, with the second episode being broadcast next Tuesday. The first episode was thoroughly absorbing, and made me lust after a wardrobe full of the stuff.

One day, perhaps...:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There are also smaller, more exclusive tweeds such as.....

3308306528_dd7204d2fe.jpg

Breanish Tweed

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Kuppenheimer: Good Clothes, that used to be their slogan or what have you. Very good stuff, really. There's a nice little spread of one of their ads from the 20s in a book called Men's Fashion in the Twentieth Century: From frock coats to intelligent fibres by Maria Constantino. Not a bad book over all, and Very interesting images. Anyway, they're Great producers, Kuppenheimer. I used to have one of their tweed over-coats until I gave it to my cousin when he entered law-school up north in Berkeley. Interestingly, it came down to just behind the knee, and had a double vent. Very unusual.
Here's a phone-photograph of the picture in the book;

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just noticed that the link to the fantastic three part BBC documentary on the turmoil that hit the Harris Tweed industry a few years is out of date. Thought I'd freshen it up:
P1. http://vimeo.com/7505746
P2. http://vimeo.com/15901604
p3. http://vimeo.com/7669212

It's quite unbelievable the extent of the damage the 'interloper' was willing to inflict on the Harris community in the name of commerce - I was told about this at the time and couldn't believe that somebody would effectively 'stop' production in this way. Thankfully, I think things are far better now...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just noticed this afternoon that Bookster's isn't taking orders. Anybody know what's up? One of my dreams in life is to order a suit from them.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I've been noticing lately that quite a few of my usual online retailers are not taking orders at current....Least-wise the fellows who deal in suits....I tried visiting the Haspel site a month or so ago, and no luck! I was really desirous of a new seersucker suit for the summer too....Bugger that Bookster's isn't taking any orders either....Did they leave a posted message as to why or anything along those lines? How curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo