Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell us your favorite urban walking boot or shoe

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Yeah, when you say urban and pavement I don't think hiking boots. I mean, I have a decent collection of outdoor boots but aside from the occasional blizzard they don't spend much time on city streets.

If you take a look at places like Leffot in NYC, or Garbstore, you'll find hiking shoes and work boots are all the rage at the moment (and have been for a while). That's not to say they've stopped selling desert boots and classic dress shoes.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you take a look at places like Leffot in NYC, or Garbstore, you'll find hiking shoes and work boots are all the rage at the moment (and have been for a while).
Oh I know, I see fellas walking into office buildings dressed for climbing them but instead taking the elevator. It reminds me of the warm-up/trainer fad of a few years back where it looked like a soccer/basketball game was ready to break out at any moment.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For the past 15 years all I have worn is Blundstone boots (black and without the metal cap) I don't like the look of shoes. I have 7 pairs of Blundstones and rotate daily.

Tadite

Familiar Face
I'm once again thinking about taking the plunge into the costly world of high quality boots.

As many on this forum have suggested a Whites Semi-Dress seems to be a good (hideously costly) option. One of the bigger issues with this is that for some strange reason they aren't sold in all of New England! I can't actually hold it in my hand which is a bit of a difficulty when it comes to nearly $500 boots.

Two Examples:

images

images

Also in the running is the Alden Indy Boot which is equally expensive but much more elegant. I don't think that level of class really fits into the idea of owning a boot that'll last nearly to death... Change seems to be much of the point and I don't think that the normal discoloration and weathering expected will enhance the look unlike with the Whites.

405.jpg

Another possibility is the Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison boot. I'm a bit of a bigger fan of this then its normal competition of a Red Wing GT or Iron Ranger. The depth of color is a amazing but I'm not sure about what it's like to live with.

images

What has been your experiences with all these? Got any advice? Goodness knows I'm going to be sitting around thinking about it for a good long while!

Last edited:

dajiggalo

New in Town
I'll comment on the Alden Indy and the Redwing Gentlemens Traveler (I own both and wear them to work on a daily basis... I've had them both resoled).
The Alden's are a very well-built shoe. Inside, it is lined with a softer cloth-like material and the leather is relatively soft compared to the Red Wings, but it is very comfortable to wear.
The Red Wings are more... "elagalitarian" in construction (interior is unlined), but feels more durable than the Aldens. The Red Wings have no arch support and are made to be worn with thick boot socks. The leather in sole WILL bleed pigment onto white socks! I suggest trying them on with some aftermarket insoles.

carldelo

One Too Many
I've been wearing ECCO Berlin boots for the past year and a half. I walk a lot in the city and they work well with suits, which I wear much of the time. They're pretty amazingly comfortable, and have room inside for orthotics, which I use every day. I have both black and brown and they get continuous wear in fall and winter. They're quite light, and the goretex makes them waterproof, and pretty breathable, which is important for my sweaty feet. The brown seems more casual, but can be hard to find.

6220-455548-p.jpg

Last edited:

Tadite

Familiar Face
I'll comment on the Alden Indy and the Redwing Gentlemens Traveler (I own both and wear them to work on a daily basis... I've had them both resoled).
The Alden's are a very well-built shoe. Inside, it is lined with a softer cloth-like material and the leather is relatively soft compared to the Red Wings, but it is very comfortable to wear.
The Red Wings are more... "elagalitarian" in construction (interior is unlined), but feels more durable than the Aldens. The Red Wings have no arch support and are made to be worn with thick boot socks. The leather in sole WILL bleed pigment onto white socks! I suggest trying them on with some aftermarket insoles.

Thanks very much for the evaluations! It sounds like both have been great purchases. I've always thought that should be the goal. Buy something with a high level of quality and then just keep going year after year.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
On a trip to Italy once, I threw some dress shoes into the suitcase at the last minute, wondering if I'd even use them. Turned out they saved my bacon: Ecco. Awesome shoes, even up and down all those Cinqueterre hills and paths.

dajiggalo

New in Town
Thanks very much for the evaluations! It sounds like both have been great purchases. I've always thought that should be the goal. Buy something with a high level of quality and then just keep going year after year.

Both shoes live up to their function (I can attest to that, I work on the railroad and wear them all year round), but if I had to do it all over again, I would probably just stick with the Red Wings. The Alden's are by far more forgiving to your feet, but the price alone (around $400 for the regular calfskin version, $500+ for shell cordovan!) would make most Alden fans cringe when they're being used to pound ballast on a daily basis (even though I do it anyway). The Red Wing Gentlemen's Traveller can be found far below retail (retail is around $325, but you can find them for around $200 pretty easy) and Red Wing does a fine job of recrafting the boots (about $70) if you wear them out as often as I do. I would like to add that the Alden nitrile-cork outsole is in someways more durable than the standard Gentlemen's Traveller outsole. When I take them in to get resoled, I will probably change them to the same outsole as the Iron Ranger boots (which is nitrile-cork).
To sum it up, for street wear, I would get the Alden Indys, but for actual work-wear, I would get the Red Wings (mostly due to price point and more tougher leather).

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
As many on this forum have suggested a Whites Semi-Dress seems to be a good (hideously costly) option. One of the bigger issues with this is that for some strange reason they aren't sold in all of New England! I can't actually hold it in my hand which is a bit of a difficulty when it comes to nearly $500 boots.

I have recommended White's in the past and would do so again, especially over the currently ubiquitous and in my eyes quite overrated Red Wings.

However I understand your hesitation to buy a pair with no idea of what you are getting, that is in fact quite sensible as they are a special breed and probably not everyone's cup of tea.

I have to point again to their online sales activities at a certain auctioning site, where you will find them under their nom de guerre "whitesriver".
You'll be able to save quite a bit by going through that channel, usually between 25% and 40%, depending on your luck with bidding and customs.

That first pair (as there will be more, I am afraid) will either win you over, or fail, but at lower cost.

However, as an owner of a few pair of White's, I have to write a few words of warning:
Getting a totally customized version of White's Semi-Dress unlike any other maker will offer is a good reason to go for them. The more you go crazy in designing them, the more you will be left to White's as the only maker offering that.
Just getting a pair of Semi-Dress that can be purchased in very similar hides and details from somebody else at a more reasonable price and with the benefit of being able to try them on is not.

The Semi-dress sure is a nice boot, but it isn't that superior in neither quality nor materials to any of the other boots you have mentioned to be worth the premium alone, if you are not after made-to-measure with a special spec.

The situation is quite different with their Smoke Jumpers (and a few of the work boot siblings), which are truly unique and IMHO can only be rivaled by some of Wesco's (and some say Viberg) models.

In any case, those are a much stranger breed and you should be prepared to explain what those monsters are you are wearing to a lot of people. Your feet will love them regardless.

And now for something completely different ;) : a sturdy yet quite presentable, not too costly, locally hand-made and rebuildable alpine classic:
http://www.haferl.com/richard.php

Tadite

Familiar Face
I very much all the advice guys! Always great to see actual information from people with years of experience. It's also nice to know that these things can actually do what they claim. Last, be tough, and be used for actual work instead of just style.

As a small further question has anyone ever bought these style (or close to it) with crepe soles? They've always been around but seem to be increasingly popular and I can't help but think for those of us on our feet most of the day but more importantly on cement could find them better then the traditional flat leather or even some of the vicrom hiking boots. Such as:

White's Boots in a much more Shoe Style (they also come in a rocking cool deep red these are pics from a Japanese site):

img56434511.jpg

5d54dbc5-s.jpg

Also from White's but a bigger boot:

product_image_30311_703.jpg

Or from Red Wings:
41Eul-ZDtoL._SL250_.jpg

Last edited:

macguzzi

New in Town
Scarpa sl 43 the best heavy walking boot designed for mountain wear, just like wearing slippers. I do have redwings but they are very heavy. I can also recommend any bench made shoes and boots from Hoggs of Fife you will find them on a web search.

Jedburgh

New in Town
Although I certainly believe in the right tool for the job, I seem to find myself in White's more often than anything else. I have several pairs of the semi-dress and I like that you can dress them up or down. Although they are certainly heavier than a lot of shoes, I certainly find them more comfortable. If I am not in the semi-dress and need a boot, I will more than likely be wearing the Smoke Jumper in a lace-to-toe version. As eClairvaux pointed out, you can get robust production made shoes but in my experience and personal comfort, nothing beats the Arch-Ease design in White's Boots. I know that the prices can be discouraging for many but considering the quality and ability to rebuild the shoes/boots, I feel certain that I would spend more on lesser quality footwear considering how often they would need to be replaced in comparison.

Jed

Tadite

Familiar Face
All great advice. I think I'm going to do a little ebay stalking but am likely to just do the old fashioned method of saving up money. An actual representative (I think) of White's sells a random assortment (Ebay ID: whitesriver). They've a few beautiful looking Semi-Dress which doesn't do me all that good! None are my size but someone else could take a look.

On a secondary note. Anyone have some experience with "Rough-Out" leather. This being the leather turned inside out with the smooth side facing in. Can't seem to see the point beyond having a sued look without being as delicate? I just can't see the advantage. If you used a water resistance wax (sno-seal for example) it's likely to radically change the look..

Last edited:

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
the "rough out" has no real advantage, as White's also notes in their description. I could imagine that any blemishes become less apparent. Anyhow it can be pretty close to suede in looks and that is indeed a nice touch, see the Oxfords above.

norton

One of the Regulars
Most comfortable boots I have ever worn: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/shoes_chukka/premier_african_chukka.html

I would live in these boots if I could wear them with a suit. I visited Berlin, WI to have my feet measured for them and got one in a size 10B, the other 9 1/2B. Great for travel and can be worn with jeans, khaki's, cords, shorts really with anything other than suit or dress slacks. Comfortable year around when worn with wool socks.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I am very pleased with my Bass saddle shoes as a general urban walking shoe. I bought a pair of ankle boots from Bass at the same time, but haven’t put any serious mileage on them yet.

-Dave

Danner

New in Town
Hi folks! My first post on this great forum :)

These are some of my most comfortable boots I wear during winter...

img0046ds.jpg

Adidas GSG9 original, Danner Fort Lewis, Meindl Island Pro and my beloved 877 and 8131 Red Wings! The 877 was resoled three times already and still rocks! I also use them for motorcycling:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran