Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

^^^^^
People who pay closer attention to such matters would tell us that “Chesterfield” is specific style of couch, like this one …

IMG_1983.jpeg

I hear they’re not the most comfortable. I have what is sometimes called a “tuxedo” sofa, which is distinguished by the arms and back being the same height, a la a Chesterfield, but the tops of the arms and back are flat, not rolled, and the upholstery isn’t tufted. It isn’t the most comfortable, either. And even that definition is subject to debate. I’ve seen styles that don’t meet all those criteria called tuxedo sofas.

Last edited:
Most of the under 50s I know are very much into "vinyls," which is a term that makes my skin crawl, so I'd suspect that even if they haven't heard the term they could figure it out pretty quick.

Now if only the term "vinyls" would disappeasr in my lifetime. Besides, I only have "shellacs."
As an over 50 vinyl enthusiast, referring to records as “vinyls” makes my skin crawl as well. But I’m somewhat comforted that the kids are actually interested in vinyl records. It’s renewed popularity has dramatically increased the availability of both records and gear, though it’s driven up the price of vintage gear to ridiculous levels. Not to mention it’s nice to see people investing the time and patience the deliberate nature of records requires. You have to slow down and really want to listen, and that’s a positive trend, in my always humble opinion.

Most of the under 50s I know are very much into "vinyls," which is a term that makes my skin crawl...

My guess is that this is due to the obsession among the younger crowds with constantly taking photos of themselves. Calling something an "album" would likely draw their minds towards a "photo album" (on their computer, laptop, notebook, phone, or whatever electronic device is in favor these days) rather than a "record album", especially since most of them might not have ever seen an "LP". Or a "45" for that matter. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points