Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That's, what Barbourism should look like!

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Can anyone tell me the weight of his waxjacket?? I would bet, it's more than M65's 2 kilograms.
I have the weights of some Barbour jackets if it's of any use
Barbour Northumbria in C44 complete with a liner 2.26kg or 5lbs-I think this is in the heaviest weight cotton fabric
Barbour Beaufort in C44 1.36kg or 3lbs
Barbour Border in C46 1.8kg or 4lbs

The newest of these is probably about 20 years old but I think they still offer these styles though the fabric weight may have changed

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The wax cotton jackets I've seen availble in the UK vary between 8oz and 12oz cotton cloth (before waxing). Typically the fashion stuff is at the lighter end, while the dedicate mc jackets are heavier.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Barbour Northumbria in C44 complete with a liner 2.26kg or 5lbs-I think this is in the heaviest weight cotton fabric
The Northumbria was made from their "heavyweight" cloth and it was pretty heavy, large-weave stuff. I had a Solway Zipper 20 years ago that was also made from the same cloth.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I guess, the wax doubles the weight?

Doubles no but it may add a few hundred grams over the years. A tin of reproofing wax (200ml) will completely re-wax two standard Barbour coats. A long Aussie drover's coat will need just under a tin. When they get wet in the rain, then they can get a little heavier .......& stiff.
My drover's coat weighs in at around 3kg dry & I'll be lying if I said you don't feel the weight after a long walk.
Barbour uses mostly 8oz fabric whereas the Aussie brands favor 12oz. I find oilskin coats uncomfortably warm once the mercury exceeds 16°C

This what barbarism should look like:
DiLcDG2WsAAv3AW.jpg

mrgrumpy

New in Town
I have a Beaufort Classic bought as new, and it really was, about a year ago. It doesn’t get rough country wear, the vegetable market is about as close as it gets to dirt, but it is warm, waterproof, stylish (subjectivity of course) and relatively civilised compared to waxed cotton motorcycle kit from the 1970s with its stickiness and odour. I haven’t had to proof it yet, but when I do previous experience with a Tayberry stockman’s coat will incline me away from Barbour’s proprietary treatment towards the more modern Nikwax. Yes, I like it. I would not wear it on a motorcycle anymore, there are far better modern alternatives, but as a practical casual jacket it is superb.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a Barbour Lutz jacket - in their thickest waxed cotton. It may hold up over the years, who knows? But I am not greatly impressed by the quality. It seems no more than a decent mall jacket. The lining is thin polycotton and the 8oz waxed cotton does not appear especially robust compared to a much thicker Drizabone waxed cotton item. I've owned a few waxed cotton jackets over the years - maybe five but I have never really gotten a lot out of them them. Mind you, I am a city person and only occasionally set foot in the country/bush. Given that the Lutz will probably last me 30 years...

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
The last Beaufort I ordered, probably about ten years ago, seemed just as well made as the older jackets. This surprised me as I'd recently had a normal wax International which wasn't well made at all and leaked like a sieve from new.

I had a Lutz too for a short while and that was a decently made jacket, as said maybe not last a lifetime tough but it was perfect for what it was aimed at. I actually really liked the wax/cotton on that.

Worst thing with the Beaufort in my experience is the body to sleeve length ratio, short sleeves on a baggy fitting jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk