Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1950s shirt thread

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Just thought it would be cool to do a 1950s shirt thread. HarpPlayerGenes post about the Corduroy Penneys shirt got me inspired.

What are some of the cooler 50s shirts you own? I have a couple that I will list later on, but for now I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I hope this takes off. Thing is, I've always had a hard time feeling confident about dating shirts to the '50s. Bare with some of us as we may post shirts that hit or miss around that era - - and YES, please post some of your treasures for us to admire! :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
This crepe rayon aloha shirt may date to the '50s. Among my other vintage Hawaiians it stands out due to its very short trunk, very short sleeves, and overall small size for a 'Medium'. The thing just has that old 'feel' to it too, if ya' know what I mean.

DSCN1113.jpg

DSCN1116.jpg

Under collar:
DSCN1118.jpg

DSCN1119.jpg

OldSoul

Familiar Face
As a 6'4" man, I'm built more like a Sasquatch than a human being. This makes it hard for me to find any shirts that may have survived that last 50-60 years intact that still indeed fit me. Trying something on before I purchase it is a must, and this pretty much rules out eBay and the like :(

The only two shirts I have are modern reproductions of 50's style shirts, but I like them all the same.

[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/i/img1330f.jpg/] [/URL]

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Sorry, won't let me upload my second one but it's nothing fancy anyways.

Gene, thanks for the heads up I'll look into them.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Okay so I finally got around to photographing some of my 1950s shirts. None are repros, as I don't really collect them, except Sun Surf shirts.

I photographed the rarest ones I own, which are generally the most interesting. I have plain gabardine shirts as well, and I love those just as much as these! The fabrics range from rayon gabardine to a lightweight cotton rayon. Some were supremely lucky finds, and some were the result of practically begging to have! All are smalls (or small mediums) and no, I'll never sell them. Well, if they don't fit me anymore one day then maybe!

1950's Puritan 'Gaucho' shirt in baby blue and royal blue. Loop collar with pearl shell buttons. This one came with the original card tag from when it was brand new!

img0632i.jpg

img0633i.jpg

1950's Penneys Towncraft pullover shirt. Lightweight cotton rayon blend. Cuffs have the turquoise underneath, and the collar has the grey fabric underneath.

img0640w.jpg

img0641f.jpg

1950's Penneys Towncraft pullover shirt with embroidered 'aztec' pattern on the chest, and 'hidden' pocket. This one has a nice drapey feel to it, but is lightweight. Note the different Penneys label. I have 3 Penneys shirts, and all have a different label, which leads me to believe they changed the label every couple years in the 50's. This one has a double loop italian collar, which I thought was unique! I have seen them with triple loops as well.

img0638r.jpg

img0639v.jpg

1950's 'Pleasure King' brand shirt with 'native' characters printed. Vertical stripes on the left, which also run down the back of the shirt and underneath the collar. This shirt appeared NOS Deadstock when I got it. I don't like to wear it often because it is so rare.

img0634b.jpg

img0636pb.jpg

img0635f.jpg

img0637hm.jpg

Last edited:

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
These are some killer shirts! I don't have too much in the way of those wild 1950's styles... just more of the modest early 50's stuff. Keep these coming though! Dig'em!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran