Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1950s Suit

LuckyKat

Practically Family
There are some early 50s suits that have some style, but mostly, it is all wrong & they will never match up to a 30's or 40's suit...plus, nothing can beat the huge peak lapels of the 40s, especially when its double breasted!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
LuckyKat said:
There are some early 50s suits that have some style, but mostly, it is all wrong & they will never match up to a 30's or 40's suit...plus, nothing can beat the huge peak lapels of the 40s, especially when its double breasted!
I wrote in the post that started this thread that I love the 30s and 40s styles. However, everytime I see 50s styles getting passed over I just think to myself that there's just that much more for me-and at a better price!;) I just came back from one of my favorite vintage stores in San Francisco where I picked up a beautiful 50s sportcoat in a grey and black plaid pattern for $63. The 30s and 40s jackets at the same store were at least twice that price. I was actually there to try and find a 50s overcoat,but they've moved them out in favor of more space for Halloween costumes. I suppose this isn't a good time to look for vintage clothes what with the stores filled with costume seekers who probably would never go into such a place otherwise. I'll post a picture latter when my better half comes home and I can enlist her aid as my photographer.

I'm glad to see that the thread has finally picked up some interest. I was pleased to see that Senator Jack has been involved. He seems to be the most interested in 50s fashions and decor among the active members.

And by the way, if I haven't said so already; Welcome to the Lounge LuckyKat!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I thought I'd revive this thread with the most fleckingest atomic fleck suit to have ever flecked!
DSC_2137.jpg

DSC_2138.jpg
DSC_2139.jpg

DSC_2131.jpg

DSC_2132.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
How common were those besomed front pockets at the time? I've only seen them on Italian style 80s-00s clothing.

That detail is one of the more sought after features when it comes to collecting '50s Hollywood waist trousers, check out these repro two toned pants:
tp_060.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
I thought I'd revive this thread with the most fleckingest atomic fleck suit to have ever flecked!
DSC_2137.jpg

Don't you own this suit, and you were looking to sell it if I remember correctly?

If you didn't sell it, I am interested....

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Fletch said:
How common were those besomed front pockets at the time? I've only seen them on Italian style 80s-00s clothing.

Those started late 40s and are very common on 50s suits.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Who is doing these reproductions?

Hollywood Rogue in California was doing them, but I think they are done now. Japan did them too a few years back. Even the repros are hard to find.

Some black and white or black and pink combos still here in London. About £150 a pop.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Here's my one 1950s lounge suit (I have some formal wear from the period), Austin Reed from 1954. To my limited knowledge its a good example of how early 1950s suits were very similar to 1940s suits before the Continental look of the mid-late 1950s.

385994488.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
repeatclicks said:
Don't you own this suit, and you were looking to sell it if I remember correctly?

If you didn't sell it, I am interested....

Sorry, somebody bought it for $600. A week later I saw a handful of similar suits on ebay....all with buy-it-now prices of $600+! lol

repeatclicks

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
Sorry, somebody bought it for $600. A week later I saw a handful of similar suits on ebay....all with buy-it-now prices of $600+! lol

Wow, $600 is a high price. I passed on the exact same suit you sold (it was a Penneys Gentry label), and the seller only wanted $250. I'm kicking myself for that. I'm lucky I'm a 36 though, because they go for less.

However, I do have another very rare 50s suit, which took me a year between finding the trousers and finding the jacket to match. I didn't pay anywhere near $600, black suit or not:

Mid 50s Pennys Gentry suit single vent. I did a post on this suit a while back, but not of the two put together. Hollywood waist (no waistband). Very, very rare fleck pattern. I bought the trousers in 2009 wondering if there was a matching jacket to go along with it. Both are flawless, in mint condition. I'd like to find a plain black 40s or 50s tie to go with this one. Hard to find plain ties!

suit1.jpg

suit3.jpg

suit2q.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Yeah that was too cheap, Thunder. I would have bought that were it not too big for me. Such a shame! A suit like that would easily be £300 here in London.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
repeatclicks said:
Yeah that was too cheap, Thunder. I would have bought that were it not too big for me. Such a shame! A suit like that would easily be £300 here in London.

Yeah, but no one on here was interested otherwise. And I don't sell ebay, so...

It sat in the classifieds for several months before it finally sold on another board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner