Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1950s: The gateway era.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I first became interested in vintage through classic films, which I watched as a child. Back then, I really didn't pay much attention to era, I just knew I preferred the way things looked in old movies! One of my favorites during that time was Marilyn Monroe, and as a result, I became (and still am!) fascinated with all of the '50s blonde bombshells. As I learned more about the styles of the various decades, I initially went with more of a '60s look, as I found that easier to pull off. That said, I always was drawn most to the '50s style; I love the extreme femininity and over-the-top glamour of that period. As my skills with hair and makeup have improved, I went toward the '50s look that I fell in love with when I first discovered the pin-ups and starlets of that era. In addition to the fashions, I'm also really into the architecture and design trends (pink bathrooms!) of the time, so that's more reason why I'm a '50s girl at heart.

Even though the '50s is one of the more accessible decades (I'd say the '60s are even more relatable for most people), I still think most people have a pretty narrow view of the time. When I had to explain my trip to Viva Las Vegas to my co-workers, they were convinced that '50s music and fashion = Elvis impersonators and poodle skirts.

December

One of the Regulars
Lusti Weather said:
I still think most people have a pretty narrow view of the time. When I had to explain my trip to Viva Las Vegas to my co-workers, they were convinced that '50s music and fashion = Elvis impersonators and poodle skirts.

This is my biggest pet hate.

My fiance and I are planning a 1955 - 1965 themed wedding and the response we have had from almost everyone is "Cool! Can we dress up? I've always wanted to be a Pink Lady/ T Bird!". :rage:

We'll make sure that the invites clearly state that this is not a fancy dress wedding, it's just a reflection of us. And that it is in NO WAY Grease themed!

I understand why people think that though. If that is all the mainstream see, and let's face it, 1950s "vintage inspired" clothing on the high street is normally based around poodle skirts and knotted neckscarves, then they won't realise that the era has much more depth and subtleties than that.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Hmm...I always thought it was the other way around with people thinking that the 30s-40s are very go-to and easy to assimilate to various degrees. A lot of women like 20s inspired styles and think the bob is easy to pull off. I think there have been more musical and film productions set in the 20s-40s that have inspired many people more so than the 1950s (aside from short periods in the late 70s-80s). Most people see the 1950s as stiff, formal and matronly as far as female styles go and OTT regarding cars and interior design which is of course something I disagree with on all accounts.:) Most people who start out with the 1950s will go for a more youthful and casual style than most of the people of their actual age would've worn then or if they started out early - they'll stick to those casual sporty styles. Nothing wrong with that. That's what I've found generally works for me. Not because I'm afraid of looking matronly in 1950s styles but due to lifestyle considerations.

I first fell for the 1920s-30s, 1940s for anything but style because initially I tended to look on 1940s ladies styles the way many people look at 1950s styles.

My fiance and I are planning a 1955 - 1965 themed wedding and the response we have had from almost everyone is "Cool! Can we dress up? I've always wanted to be a Pink Lady/ T Bird!"

I don't blame you for feeling that way but most people who aren't interested in vintage the way we are will only have few references to this era. I used to really look down on the entire 1960s decade and I think I was quite vocal about it when I first joined here but I now see some appeal in the styles up to 1960s. Heck, even the ordinary and conservative styles of later 60s-early 70s aren't that outrageous and often have retro 20s-40s appeal. I've alway recovered from my initial matron fear of the 1940s.lol

Many of us write off 70s-90s based on the poor choices in style we made back then or some few iconic styles we're acquianted with without really researching the wider appeal of those decades. There's something appealing and unappealing about all decades. The 1950s-early 60s is truly a gateway period to the time we live in now more so than past decades between now and then because of a retro conservatism more so than some some stupid TV series that are getting all the credit now.:rolleyes:

I feel a strong connection to the late 40s-early 60s of my dad's side of the family in California but no connection at all to my mother's side of the family here in Denmark during the same period. In contrast I feel more "sympathy" and empathy in many ways for my mother's family in the 1920s-30s.

December

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
I don't blame you for feeling that way but most people who aren't interested in vintage the way we are will only have few references to this era. I used to really look down on the entire 1960s decade and I think I was quite vocal about it when I first joined here but I now see some appeal in the styles up to 1960s. Heck, even the ordinary and conservative styles of later 60s-early 70s aren't that outrageous and often have retro 20s-40s appeal. I've alway recovered from my initial matron fear of the 1940s.lol

Oh, I completely understand that! I remember having a very narrow view of all eras when I was younger- the 50s were poodle skirts and the 60s were Mary Quant mini skirts. :rolleyes:

I think it annoys me because these are people who know us and should have realised I don't dress like I've walked off the set of Grease. [huh]

MissHannah

One Too Many
I find that people often can't place the era I'm dressing (which is 50's) because I'm wearing suits rather than poodle skirts. But that's ok I guess [huh]
I know what you mean about people who know you though December. That would hack me off too.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I think it annoys me because these are people who know us and should have realised I don't dress like I've walked off the set of Grease.

In that context, and if they're used to seeing me dress vintage and I've even been kind and patient enough to attempt to give them an overview of the different decades, it would irritate me. Well, it would irritate me if I've never looked like I came off the set of Grease and they assume that's an appropriate style. At least they could carefully ask rather than making joking or ignorant assumptions.:rolleyes:

You even gave them a whole decade's span to choose from. If someone said they were having a say...1975-85 themed wedding I'd do my research and find out what people wore for weddings in that period, decide on the period within that ten year period that I like or can accept and then decide if I really want to make the effort and accept the invitation. No jokes about bell bottoms and Iceland knit sweaters and no jokes about Flock Of Seagulls.

December

One of the Regulars
Ah, see the thing is- we don't want other people to join in. If they happen to have something that fits the decade and they'd like to wear it, that's fine. But we're not asking anyone to wear period dress, just something they would usually wear to a wedding.

Louise Anne

Suspended
I found vintage fashions by chance in a way, my main interest or off and on interest is military history and searching Google about the 1940's and US/ UK I kept coming across the very famous references to GI's and nylons.
this got me thinking at there were a lot of GI's stationed in the UK but surly that would mean each one would have to bring across 25 pair of nylon just to a give each UK lady one pair.
Could that be true, I think studied thought like that.
Any how looking more into this subject I found 30's and 20's fashions photos and research etc, then found a young lady by chance who was into the 50's music and fashions,
stupidly I asked her if ladies really were 50's fashions today and she said yes from her and sent me a few photos of her 50's out fits, she was friends with Amanda Lee and so I found places like here.
I bought myself a 50's handbag from a local Antique shop which was great becuse it was not just a bag but had history with it as the clasp was worn but the bag was in good condition, used but looked after.
that started me off down the collecting route and the rest history as you all know.

I get as much enjoyment from seeing ladies today wearing and using vintage fashions, and would not want to insult ladies who only wear modern styles but I feel in general they missing out on a lot of styles from the past, in my view there is something special out vintage fashions and they look they give a lady today wearing them what ever the period ( pre 60's)
Off topic maybe so sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran