Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

TM

A-List Customer
Mojave,

Don't knock the "sound baths" at the Integratron! It's rather amazing. The upper floor of the Integratron is, of course, a dome structure. This has great accoustical properties, including focusing the sound towards the center. You lay in a hammock, suspended in that focus point. Then they rub large glass bowls which start to resonate. Just like if you rub the rim of a wine glass. The sound fills the room and bounces at you, rather physically. It's well worth the experience!

Have you been to the Krblin Jihn Kabin outside of Joshua Tree?

http://www.discoverkymaerica.com/plaques/plaque.php?id_plaq=4

Tony

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
bruce wayne said:
not making any promises, but get me some measurements (front height, back height, width, depth) & i MIGHT be able to at leat make the frame.
That's just the problem, though. I need to get hold of one and make some scale drawings of the brass plates and measurements on the wood. Until I see one in person, I would be experimenting with scale until I got it right. Anyone near a Cabela's with the high end gun room? Nick? Any plans to visit your Cabela's any time soon? They may have one in the store.

Alternatively, I've considered buying one of the wire framed jobs, just for the dimensions, then working out the brass plates from that scale.

Butterfly-Chairi.jpg

TM said:
Mojave,

Don't knock the "sound baths" at the Integratron! It's rather amazing. The upper floor of the Integratron is, of course, a dome structure. This has great accoustical properties, including focusing the sound towards the center. You lay in a hammock, suspended in that focus point. Then they rub large glass bowls which start to resonate. Just like if you rub the rim of a wine glass. The sound fills the room and bounces at you, rather physically. It's well worth the experience!

Have you been to the Krblin Jihn Kabin outside of Joshua Tree?

http://www.discoverkymaerica.com/pla....php?id_plaq=4

Tony
Tony, it's good to see you again!

I'll keep an open mind, because I know you to be a reasonable individual, but It's getting a bit far out for me! After all, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, then are dreamed of in your philosophy."

I've not been to the Krblin Jihn Kabin. What is that all about?

Incidentally, here's my abode for the next few weeks while I do my summer Reserve duty.

0601091418.jpg

These are the "newer" barracks, built in '39 as opposed to the "older" barracks built in 1929.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Still trying to achieve this adventure look.
tib03.jpg

About half way there. I think all I need is the jacket & I'll be set. It would be neat to have it put together for Christmas time up at Mt. Hood.

Cheers!

Dan

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
That's just the problem, though. I need to get hold of one and make some scale drawings of the brass plates and measurements on the wood. Until I see one in person, I would be experimenting with scale until I got it right. Anyone near a Cabela's with the high end gun room? Nick? Any plans to visit your Cabela's any time soon? They may have one in the store.

size of the brass plates shouldnt be a problem. if you use 1 inch square wood, the brass should not have to be any wider than two inches.

Mike K.

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Still trying to achieve this adventure look.
Dan, I've been trying to help search but so far have come up empty. There are plenty of green-colored pea coats out there, just haven't seen the pocket design you seek. Doesn't help that we're in the wrong season for easily locating cold weather attire.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Once upon a time the Library of Congress was a rather small building holding a few hundred books. Over time that reference collection grew. That same library now holds over 32 million books, 61 million manuscripts, sheet music, sound records, etc. New space was needed, a better organizational system was needed, and what was intended to be a useful reference center for all to use continued to evolve and thrive. Librarians and visitors alike could find what they needed. Once upon a time there was a rather small thread about adven...........sorry, I diverge!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

In order to hopefully facilitate some easier referencing of certain topics, I am going to begin cross-indexing related posts (that I make) between this and other threads.

Here is the first - a summary article on the classic safari/bush jacket. Jack, Dan, Belly Tank, and others...I know you probably have some really great and insightful information to add.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=806775#post806775

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Seven Years in Tibet

Heinrich Harrer who Brad Pitt played in the movie was Austrian ... so I believe the coat that is being enquired about is trachten wear of a sort. A Loden wool Single breasted Coat.
-- I wore a loden coat when traveling in Ireland a couple years ago and it was very versatile for the ever changing weather in Ireland in February.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:
Dan, I've been trying to help search but so far have come up empty. There are plenty of green-colored pea coats out there, just haven't seen the pocket design you seek. Doesn't help that we're in the wrong season for easily locating cold weather attire.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But this would be the best time to get a bargain on such garments. If all else fails I may have to get one made. I might talk to a local seamstress & see what she can come up with.

The other item I like that he has there is the silk kata or 'offering scarf', given to him for his safe journey.

Heinrich Harrer who Brad Pitt played in the movie was Austrian ... so I believe the coat that is being enquired about is trachten wear of a sort. A Loden wool Single breasted Coat.
-- I wore a loden coat when traveling in Ireland a couple years ago and it was very versatile for the ever changing weather in Ireland in February.

I looked up 'trachten' and only found the collarless variants. It's a tough thing when you're looking for something so specific that probably only existed in someone's imagination.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
This is the Summer, 1934 Collection from the House of BT.

Some more Khaki (and friendly...)items, some of which, you guys may or may not have seen before...

I have collected and manufactured an eclectic assortment of British Empire, Italian, German and French Imperial tropical clothing and gear, suitable for my continued outings into the Libyan Desert....
...the period encompassed is mid '20s to mid '40s.

I'd like to think that the 1920's/'30s Desert Explorer would use Military Surplus clothing and gear, blended with his/her own items, in order to have a practically proven, yet personalised collection- so- such an individual would conceivably be in possession of items dating from the late 19thC, through to the '20s/'30s.
That is my ethic, æsthetic and timeline brief- I believe it makes some sense.

Here are a few more ensembles and close-ups of clothing and prop gear.
God bless the digital camera!!!

DSCN3483.jpg

This group includes a "home made" unlined/non-interlined(totally natural), Khaki drill 3 button jacket, in a "sporty", practical, launder-able cut, with '20s style, cloverleaf collar, reverse pleat breast pockets, welt buttonholes and high-set, muti-pleat belted back/open pleat skirt. The trousers are WW1 pattern German "fatigues" in a broad, crisp herringbone twill, vaguely over-dyed(from white) in khaki, with a rear cinch-belt and used here with Boer War era, non-elastic braces and same era, canvas twill "snake clasp" belt- this belt is a narrower variant, which works with trousers. The hat is nice a white fur felt of undetermined age.

DSCN3484.jpg

DSCN3485.jpg

DSCN3486.jpg

DSCN3487.jpg

This shot shows detail of the back of the 3 button jacket and HBT trousers.

B
T

BT: The white WW1 pattern German trousers, is this something that you made or found out there in the WWW? If they are a find, where might I procure those herringbone trousers?

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi, Dan.

Closest thing I can find is item# 390056137712 on eBay.
The ones I have are WW1 pattern but used in WW2.
They are very shapeless and baggy, I like that.
The eBay vendor I got them from has disappeared(HKK).

If you don't need white, there are other options in HBT cloth,
from other German repro vendors.

I'll keep looking, I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes.
But I found all his stuff ill-fitting/non-fitting, especially the jackets.
I found that the olive green DAK trousers were not very high-waisted but
it seems, by looking at other examples, that they were perhaps, not so high.

Pirshen1975 seems to be on the right track, as to correct, 70-years-ago construction and fitting. See his Italian jackets, very nice.
I arranged to meet him in Shanghai a couple of years ago, to do business but when we were there, he couldn't make it.

Re visiting: what about the others, Panzerfaust and Chinesemoonday(?),
et al?

B
T

Mike K.

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
If all else fails I may have to get one made. I might talk to a local seamstress & see what she can come up with.

Dan, if you decide to go this route you might want to contact Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont. I saw a piece about them once on television. They produce the same wool shirts, coats, etc. that Woolrich, Pendleton, and other big companies make. The difference is Johnson Mills is a smaller company - the kind where just one person does all the cutting, another the buttons, and so on. They did a custom shirt (on the spot) for the guy doing the TV documentary. Might be something to check into. [huh]

www.johnsonwoolenmills.com

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Hi, Dan.

Closest thing I can find is item# 390056137712 on eBay.
The ones I have are WW1 pattern but used in WW2.
They are very shapeless and baggy, I like that.
The eBay vendor I got them from has disappeared(HKK).

If you don't need white, there are other options in HBT cloth,
from other German repro vendors.

I'll keep looking, I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere.

B
T

Thanks BT, I think those are what I'm looking for. :eusa_clap With the white I could always dye it what ever color I choose too. I like the green variant that they have too. I have a pair of the Panzer trousers from them & O like them very well. I think the only thing I want to change on those is to add suspender buttons. Thanks again for the response & heads-up, most appreciated.

Dan, if you decide to go this route you might want to contact Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont. I saw a piece about them once on television. They produce the same wool shirts, coats, etc. that Woolrich, Pendleton, and other big companies make. The difference is Johnson Mills is a smaller company - the kind where just one person does all the cutting, another the buttons, and so on. They did a custom shirt (on the spot) for the guy doing the TV documentary. Might be something to check into.

Mike: That show was Made in America with John Ratzenberger. He had them make a shirt but it was from one of their stock items, just sized to fit him. I have a couple of shirts from them & like them very much. The wool of their jackets is the right weight for what I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Pirshen1975 seems to be on the right track, as to correct, 70-years-ago construction and fitting. See his Italian jackets, very nice.
I arranged to meet him in Shanghai a couple of years ago, to do business but when we were there, he couldn't make it.

Re visiting: what about the others, Panzerfaust and Chinesemoonday(?),
et al?

B
T

I found Panzerfaust but the other two I couldn't find. Have they changed store names perhaps?

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
I found Panzerfaust but the other two I couldn't find. Have they changed store names perhaps?
Cheers!
Dan

Sorry, Dan, I was talking to HJohnson.

Here are some vendor IDs, you know what to do:

pirschen1975
barrylyndon28
chinesemoonday15
hiki1620

There are others, surely.
A couple of my faves have disappeared.

B
T