Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

theinterchange

One Too Many
In terms of the colour chart you linked to, Neophyte, my Squatter was more akin to Lagoon Blue than Carbon Grey/Steel. I'd say it was most definitely not Carbon. What makes it interesting is that I haven't observed the blueness of that hat in any other Carbon/Steel Greys shown here... Perhaps my hat was an oddity?

Randy

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That picture you had taken seems to have been taken in the shade or on a cloudy day, with a white background; all of which I believe (when reviewing my past experiences with the Carbon Grey) would only serve to further bring out the blue.

Still, I do believe at one time the Stylemaster or Squatter was available in a blue color...may it was an oddity [huh].

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just an observation as to some of these Akubra colors, though I've not bought from any of the Australian sellers, the colors in the photographs used on the DM site have been spot-on for the hats I have bought from him. The color I have seen on my monitor ( I must admit that my monitor is a graphics color adjusted used as a work station in my computer graphics work) has been the color of the hat I have received from DM. The illustrations on the Akubra site are "illustrative photos" not really a good example for the "exact" color. Just my observations. :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The main reason I've bought from him is he is first a U.S. based retailer :) Second carries most of the Akubra line ( not all by any means, but most) and with the falling U.S. dollar, his prices when you add his one price for all shipping is as good if not better than the rest. Also, from the time he receives payment, it's usually 3/4 days shipping to MOST addresses in the U.S. . And not last, but important to me, I bought my first Akubra, a Bushman, from HIM back in 1971 so have some "faithfullness" so to speak. He's a great person and the firm with his name is a great firm as well. Nothing against the Australian firms, if I lived in Australia I would buy from City Hatters for sure :)
BTW, he does not carry any other colors for the Stylemaster but advised me of the Mid-Brown ones he had wholesaled to John Helmer's in Portland from whom I got my Stylemaster from. He DID NOT have to do that and not many retailers would so you can understand my "faithfullness" to his firm :)

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Well, well. Me thinks I shall pop an e-mail off to Sam at EA to ask him if the carbon and steel colours are actually the same. I will post his response.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Well, I couldn't find the photos I mentioned. I've got them somewhere, but my old computer is full of several years worth of photography and am at a loss as to what folder they've been dumped in.

James71

A-List Customer
Finally pulled the squatter out of storage and put a bash in it. Bought it on a whim some months ago and it's been waiting patiently in it's box.

It's come out quite "Indy", which wasn't my first intention, but I like it. I always seem to find that whilst you can force a hat into any shape you like, (see my CD with the diamond) but if you let the hat find it's own shape it always looks more natural. This is how this hat wanted to be. 5 min bash and straight to you.
5ad3d315.jpg

c06810ea.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
It looks more elegant than Indy's hat. Very nice. It looks great on you.

T Rick

Practically Family
Great lookin' hat, nice job on the bash. Had the Squatter on my radar since I got here, just trying to decide whether it or the Fed IV will be my next Akubra. Like the steel grey color too.

T Rick

Practically Family
Re colour rendering. On my monitor these pics are quite grey. The hat is a rich dark green in RL.

Missed that, is it Bluegrass Green? Difficult color to photograph and show accurately, I have the Camp Draft in that color. Didn't know the Squatter came in green!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The green of the Squatter is a recently discontinued color called "Willow Green." I myself have a Squatter in this color; it is a bit darker and a bit more muted than Bluegrass Green when I compare them side by side.

James71

A-List Customer
On the train in the Squatter. Once I wear out a few campdrafts I reckon the squatter will be my regular hat. I'm considering commissioning one in dark brown, one in moonstone and another in willow green to replace this one.

cfb69691.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I was fiddling around with a rather fun crease on my squatter today.

From the front, pretty normal.
Photo81.jpg

From the top:
IMG_0415.jpg

It is hard to get a pic, but I went for the arrowhead.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeps, that's a pretty deep bash for the Squatter, yet the crown seems fairly high still. Has an old world look to it. Very nice.

Thanks. I gave it a really severe tugboat to keep it high in the front, but have enough felt to work the arrowhead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart