Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

I bought a Squatter a number of years ago when I got a small bonus that I used to order from David Morgan. I got the Squatter in the Moonstone and a Bushman in the Brown that DM carries at the same time. Both came with open crowns so I was able to bash them as I'd like. They both were rather stiff but continue to soften up as time goes on. The Squatter was my go to hat for quite some time. (My Campdraft is that one right now, but I like my Squatter a whole lot.)

The wide brim of the Squatter carries the profile of the mid to late forties and part of the early fifties as a style link. It takes a little bit to get used to the wide brim but if you are looking for mid forties to early fifties fedora it really works well. The moonstone color is a combination grey/blue/green and plays well with a number of color combinations. It ties well with my green suit but works as a less dressy hat too.

These seem very well made and if you read about the Akubra line up here they make a hearty hat that stands up to the hardships of life.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Sam Craig said:
ET, your Squatter looks to have a shorter crown than some of the others.

Is that the way you have it blocked?

It looks great!

His is an older model, which may have some bearing on the specs, that and camera angle comes into effect. That being said, I'm not speaking for him. ;)

Randy

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Sam Craig said:

It looks great!

Pesronally speaking, unless you like your crown low, the Squatter doesn't take a tear drop, c or diamond that well. For a higher crown, a centerdent is the way to go, IMHO. Or a centerdent with a slight push out on each rear, side for a less tapered look head on. Whatever floats your boat really. The pic I posted was a shallow diamond, but it's back in a centerdent now. One thing I'm not sure of, but there has been discussion on, is whether or not the David Morgan Squatter has a higher, or less tapered crown. I wouldn't think so, but then it has vent holes unlike the others. They always seem taller in the pics anyhow.

Not exactly scientific...
Here's a diamond...

sqjr_fr_dmd_crp-3.jpg

sqjr_sd_dmd_crp-1.jpg

And a centerdent...

sq_rb_jr_f_3-1-2-1.jpg

sq_rb_jr_sd-2-2.jpg

Karyl

New in Town
theinterchange said:
Chuck Bobuck, what color is your Squatter? It seems as if you've said in the Akubra Overload thread, but I may be mistaken.

Randy

looks like mine - moonstone, but I can't guarantee for it :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
By the way ...

It looks like both of the colors, the brown and the grey, are very becoming on this hat, of course they are difficult to see all that well on the Net.

Is the grey sort of a medium shade?

How much do the vents show?

Nice looking lids, though.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Sam Craig said:

It looks great!

Yes Sam. Traditionally the squatter has a round telescope crease - like a porkpie - and a low crown. Basically I just pushed that into a teardrop. I'm going to experiment with a wide centre dent to lift the crown a little.

Randy, I'm guessing mine is from the 90's or maybe later 80's, but I don't think Akubra have altered their Squatter specs for generations.

Goose.

Practically Family
No one asked, but what the hell. Here's mine. I really like it. Mine is bashed similar to my Feds, so it's like having a bound brimmed Federation ;)

When I take this Squatter out of the closet near a crowd, I have to say "excuse me while I whip this out". Then the hat fans go "it's twue. It's twue". The Squatter is big and I have a big head in proportion to my body and in and of itself.

773619163_dcNAS-S.jpg
584906006_ggpMB-S.jpg

EDIT: Added pic of a FED IV on top of the Squatter for comparison.

Karyl

New in Town
Goose. said:
No one asked, but what the hell.

When I take this Squatter out of the closet near a crowd, I have to say "excuse me while I whip this out". Then the hat fans go "it's twue. It's twue". The Squatter is big and I have a big head in proportion to my body and in and of itself.

773619163_dcNAS-S.jpg

But what the hell - fits you very well (rhyme by accident lol )
I totally dig how big that hat is :)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Goose. said:
No one asked, but what the hell. Here's mine. I really like it. Mine is bashed similar to my Feds, so it's like having a bound brimmed Federation ;)

773619163_dcNAS-S.jpg
584906006_ggpMB-S.jpg

EDIT: Added pic of a FED IV on top of the Squatter for comparison.

G'day Goose! You do that Aussie lid proud. And by the way - it's Australia Day here, so squatters for everybody!

What colour is that?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
Chuck Bobuck, what color is your Squatter? It seems as if you've said in the Akubra Overload thread, but I may be mistaken.

Randy

It's moonstone.

Sam Craig said:
Chuck,

That is a great looking hat. The crown shape is super!:eusa_clap

Thanks Sam, which do you like the diamond or centerdent?

Goose. said:

Hello, handsome, is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show?
lol ...too funny Goose! Thanks for that walk down memory lane. I saw that movie when it came out and kept taking friends back to see it.
BTW, you're the exception to my Squatter crown theory, looks great on you!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Sam Craig said:
By the way ...

It looks like both of the colors, the brown and the grey, are very becoming on this hat, of course they are difficult to see all that well on the Net.

Is the grey sort of a medium shade?

How much do the vents show?

Nice looking lids, though.

Sam, there are currently 5 colors available, Moonstone, Mid Fawn, Black (from David Morgan) and Willow Green and Carbon Grey (from Hats Direct). Carbon is dark grey and moonstone is a light grey. Here's a comparison with a carbon Fed on the left and moonstone Squatter on the right.

carbon_moonstone-1.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Sam Craig said:
Hey, ET

Happy Australia Day ,,, hope they gave you the day off, mate!

Keep up the good work down there!:eusa_clap

G'day Sam...and yes indeed Australia Day rates a public holiday.

Not to mention a game of cricket and a barbeque. Today's cricket is a one-day match between Australia v Pakistan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24