Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of a Shave ... A Journey ...

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
This is a great thread. I use a Norelco electric. I haven't used a blade on my face in over ten years. It takes but a few minutes and I am done.

Never the less, this is intriguing. I love old world style. I will have to get a shave in London on my next visit and experience what you guys are talking about.

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Brad--If you use it on your face, you can also slick back your hair with it.

MK--Stop by Taylor's of Old Bond Street on Jermyn Street in London for a shave when you're in town. I know an electric razor is the quickest method to shave. I used to own a '57 Chevy convertible and was into all the old extra options. They started offering dashboard plug-in electric razors for "the man on the go" back then. But sometimes fastest isn't best. I'd recommend that you try returning to that magic moment of the morning for a man....an old-school shave. Look at it as not something to get through with--but something to savor. A little corner of your day when you indulge in the same ritual that men did in the slower, less hurried times. Think of it as restoring an appreciation for a lost art that's been forgotten.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Paladin
Where did you get the stuff, Dave?

Just a little independant home furnishing/giftware/beauty products shop around the corner from where I live. My wife got me a tube after Christmas for 1/2 price, so I ran over and got a second tube. Still working on them.

Never heard of it, right?

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Nope, never heard of it. But that in itself doesn't mean much. Hey, if it works and feels comfortable then that's what matters. You may try an application to your face using a shaving brush. Stimulates the skin and lathers up nicely.

Canadave

One Too Many
You may try an application to your face using a shaving brush. Stimulates the skin and lathers up nicely.

Like this?;

brush

It was my father's. I have no idea of the quality, but before you diss it, remember the sentamental value! ;)

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Dave,
I couldn't open the photo, it asked for a password. But if the brush was your father's then it doesn't matter what I or anyone else think of it. It's got great history. It gave your dad a great shave, I'm sure. If it was good enough for him, I'm sure you will have no problem with it. However, I have one suggestion. I don't know what kind of shape it's in, but you may want to preserve it since it's a father/son item. If it were me, I would put it on a little stand or shelf next to where I shave and not actually use it--other than for inspiration. A superior-quality Simpson silver badger brush will last generations. But I'd collect your dad's shaving utensils, if you can find any others, and put them in a special place. But I'm sentimental like that.

Canadave

One Too Many
Yeah, Sharpie PMd me and told me that link didn't work. I tried something different, 'cause my usual method for posting pics seems to be out o' bidness (FreePgs). The site won't open, and earlier pics I've posted on this site are gone (Hawaiian shirts). Guess I may have to go Fotki, like many others here.

Anyway, the brush is a "Victoria". The word appears in Upper Case, in a triangle with a picture of a boar's head above it. Below it says "Pure Bristle Sterilized". The handle seems to be a hard plastic or possibly bakelite. The bottom (handle) is green and the mid section is white. Ring a bell at all?

I don't think there are any other remaining shaving implements of his...saving this is a good idea, but I also like the idea of actually using it.

Keep well,

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
From your description, it doesn't sound familiar. But I bet if you do some googling, you'll come up with a chat forum on shaving tools that will tell you exactly what it is.

An idea--use the brush once, to bring closure to the father/son tie. Then retire and preserve it. You'll make the one use a special experience, a message to your dad. And then perhaps--if you have a son or grandson--have him use it once some day when he's ready. Pass it down through generations--make it a male family ritual. One shave--maybe even the first--and pass it on down.

Canadave

One Too Many
...An idea--use the brush once, to bring closure to the father/son tie. Then retire and preserve it. You'll make the one use a special experience, a message to your dad. And then perhaps--if you have a son or grandson--have him use it once some day when he's ready. Pass it down through generations--make it a male family ritual. One shave--maybe even the first--and pass it on down.

Man, you are one sentimental dude! ;) I like it!

Problem - I've already used it many times, and I don't (and won't) have any kids...so no son, grandson or son-in-law.

Great ideas and I appreciate them. In this case, however, it might be best to use it until it falls apart. At least I'll get enjoyment out of it...there's really no-one else to appreciate it.:cry:

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Yep, I'm just a sentimental guy....my wife loves it. Well, aside from my suggestions....whatever is right for you is the right thing to do. You can't lose. Use it, enjoy it.

Canadave

One Too Many
Hey, here's the brush I couldn't post before. FreePgs is back up!!!

brush.JPG

David

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Very nice, Dave. I like the green handle, makes it easy to pick up the lather and apply to the face. Looks like it'll work well. Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR