Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The art of fitting faces

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
THE ART OF
FITTING FACES
For The Tall SLENDER MAN: This type needs a style that (a) will not look "all hat" above his slender face, and (b) will break up the long lines of face and figure. He needs a tapered and not-too-high crown.

If very tall, avoid extreme narrow brim. If medium height, he can wear the narrowest. And tell him to wear it with a side-tilt. In clothing, avoid vertical stripes and the long pointed collar.

The high crown, worn level on the head (above) make him look like a steeple. A side- tilt would help. A full high crown is the worst thing this man can wear.

The low tapered crown, either center crease or telescope, is the thing for this type. A contrast band will also help to break up the vertical lines. He is also a good type for low crown Homburg.

Best For The BIG FELLOW: Low crown, extreme narrow brim, extreme tapered crown, loud checks, always wrong. The tall 200 pounder who stands out in a crowd needs a hat big enough to balance his face and figure. Ask yourself: "Is he a fashion type or a folksy type?" Base your hat decision on that. RIGHT for the fashion type: CROWN is more important than brim-width for this type. He can wear a moderately narrow brim if combined with a fairly full crown. He should be cautioned to snap his brim full width from side to side.

The big man can look fashionable in the full crowned HOMBURG or semi-Homburg (turned-up brim). The brim should be flat-set on the sides ? not too sharp a roll. RIGHT for the folksy type: If the big man has no wish to look modern in fashion, you can give him as big a brim as he wants. The semi-Western type, with narrow band and fairly wide brim, is usually becoming. Fuller crown, brim not too narrow. Snap brim full across.

A good type for the Homburg or semi-Homburg. He can always wear the Western types.

For The SHORT SLENDER MAN
The small-statured man is often a big fellow mentally, and would like his importance to be visible. First, the short man should ALWAYS WEAR A HAT WHEN OUT OF DOORS. Since he takes on added stature every time he puts on the right hat, it's silly for this type of man to go hatless.

RIGHT: Best type of hat for this man is the turned-up brim, with tapered crown. It makes him look taller, and reduces the "little boy" look. If he wants a snap brim, the narrow brims and tapered crowns are a lucky break for him. Avoid, however the extremely low crown and extremely narrow brim; he wants to look like a man. The extreme low pork-pie crown is risky, for the some reason. Snap brim should be fairly flat set at front - a deep snap over the eyes will submerge him. Crown MUST be tapered - a high full crown is the worst thing you can put on him. Contrast band is better than matched, because the contrast makes the crown look less high above his face.

CLOTHING RECOMMENDATIONS: Suitings with a bulky look-rough textured tweeds, homespons and napped-surface flannels-are better than the smooth finish fabrics. Avoid chalk-stripe suitings and other striped patterns that have a slenderizing effect; plain colors or quiet checks or plaids are better. Suit jackets should be rather short, to emphasize leg-length . He'll look smaller still with a low porkpie, a full crown, a deep snap over the eyes. Jacket and topcoats should be short.

He needs a well-tapered crown, but not so low as to make him look like a "little boy". A turned-up brim will add to his look of height and importance.

This type should never go hatless - a hat, like elevator heels, can add to his stature.

For The SHORT PLUMP MAN

Perhaps the most mis-fitted man, in this day of small, taper crown fashion is the short plump fellow. The low tapered crown is good fashion and good looks for a large percentage of customers. But it's wrong for him. It makes his face look fuller and his body look shorter.

The best rule for this man is moderation at all points - no extremes. RIGHT: This man can wear the modern narrower brim (though 15/8", rather than the extreme 1 1/2" or 13/8") IF the crown is fairly full. Such a hat should be carried in every stock today. But if the store carries only the extreme taper in the narrow brim, it- is better to sell him a staple rather than a high fashion hat that looks silly.

Most becoming for this type is the semi-Homburg-the hat with turned-up brim - since it tends to add height. It should be fairly flatset, however; avoid the high roll on the sides. In a snap-brim, suggest that he wear it moderately well back on the head and tilted to the side. If pulled down over the nose, it shortens the face and squats down the figure.

CLOTHING RECOMMENDATIONS
Single-breasted suits and coats are best, helping the illusion of height. Straight hanging lines are better than the snug fit. Dark-toned smooth-finish fabrics are better than the bright and bulky suitings. In patterns, stick to vertical stripes. Narrow tie and rather low collar-showing some neck-are also advised. The little tapered-crown hat is not for him! He is seldom the type for a pork-pie.

In clothes patterns vertical stripes are best A turned-up brim will give him height.

But avoid brim with sharp roll! NO EXTREMES for this man. Moderate crown and brim. And snap the brim full width

HOW THE HAT MAN CAN HELP MEN WITH DIFFICULT FACES

FOR THE MAN WITH LARGE EARS

CROWN - avoid extreme tapers
BRIM - medium width snapped full
AVOID - off the face styles.Hat should be worn high on the brow

TOP HEAVY FACE

CROWN - tapered with front pinch
BRIM - medium width with narrow snap
AVOID - high full crowns, flat snapped brim

PEAR SHAPED FACE

CROWN - full centre crease or Homburg
BRIM - wide with full snap
AVOID - tapered crown narrow brim

RECEDING CHIN

CROWN - lower style with good taper
BRIM - narrow to medium with medium curl
AVOID - high full crown.Hat should be worn with slight tilt and fairly level

PROMINENT JAW
CROWN - slight taper centre creases or wide front pinches
BRIM - medium width with full snap
AVOID - too narrow a brim

LONG NOSE
CROWN - medium height not too tapered
BRIM - should be wide enough to extend beyond tip of nose
WEARING - slight tilt, fairly level

http://hatxpress.com/Contribute/Hat_Guide/hat_guide.asp

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks, Roger!

I've seen this question posed many times, but never followed by a suitable response! This is excellent information to have...thanks for finding and posting it! :cheers1:

Weston

A-List Customer
Well, the short slender man advice seems good. Now if I could just understand what it meant before I buy some hats! :)

Hondo

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice, thats cool since I'm in the market for a couple of suits, maybe 40'ish dark blue and fedora (gray or dark blue?) Don't want the gangster look, but a 40'ish feel ya know? In the film "The Aviator" the had some great looking hats, I prefer visiting a hat shop than buying online, yeah I have problem also with sizes 7 3/4, 7 1/2 was just too tight for straw, baseball style caps wents from 7 1/2 to 7 3/4, so the tips were welcomed.
back to now, thanks again.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Dark blue suit is always a great place to start- atleast that's where I did! Anyway, I recommend atleast a dark-medium brown or a medium gray hat to start with. I definitely liked the look of Aviator. I believe Howard Hughes wore a greenish brownish gray fedora.

Hondo

One Too Many
The Aviator really had some vivid colors; ?¢‚Ǩ?ìHoward Hughes in brownish gray fedora?¢‚Ǩ? I want that hat! Does any one know where to find? I thought dark blue suit would be best and medium gray hat sound great, should do the trick, I'm about 6 2", with broad shoulders, I may go to tailers, as I like taper effect (shirts and coat) too baggy isn't my thing, now its shoes black or brown? Thanks for the tips, advice. :cool:
I

riccardo

Practically Family
Great thread, Sharpetoys!

Yeah Sharpetoys,
i've read it many times but it is too long for my few English knowledge...anyone can translate it ( a little )for me...Casazza maybe?
I'm a 7 1/2 head and my face is good round...any advice?

Thanks.
Sincerely
Riccardo.

MattC

A-List Customer
Tall think guys and untapered high crowns

I think this advice is very good. I've got a very nice old high c-crown, no taper at all, which, I have been told, looks like a clown hat on me (tall and slim). I haven't had the heart to sell it, but maybe I should. I had the same problem with the one Indy hat I got from Peter's Brothers. Anyone know a good Indy hat with a lower or tapered crown?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Translation for Riccardo!

Ciao, Riccardo...

?ÉÀÜ qui una traduzione. Non sono sicuro come esatto ?ɬ®. Ho usato un servizio libero sull'Internet. Spero che questo l'aiuta.

- John

L'ARTE DI FACCE DI PROVA

Per L'UOMO Alto MAGRO: Questo tipo ha bisogno di uno stile ci?ɬ? (un) non guarder?ɬ† "tutto il cappello" al di sopra di la sua faccia magra, e (b) romper?ɬ† le linee lunghe di faccia e la figura. Non ha bisogno di una corona affilato e-anche alta.

Se molto alto, evita l'orlo estremo stretto. Se l'altezza media, pu?ɬ? indossare l'il pi?ɬ? stretto. E gli dice di l'indossare con una lato-pendenza. Nell'abbigliamento, evitare le strisce verticali ed il colletto lungo indicato.

L'alta corona, il livello indossato sulla testa (sopra) lo fa somiglia a una guglia. Un lato- la pendenza aiuterebbe. Un'alta corona piena ?ɬ® la cosa peggiore che quest'uomo pu?ɬ? indossare.

La corona bassa affilata, sia la piega di centro o il telescopio, ?ɬ® la cosa per questo tipo. Una banda di contrasto aiuter?ɬ† anche a rompere le linee verticali. ?ÉÀÜ anche un tipo buono per Homburg di corona basso.

L'ARTE DI FACCE DI PROVA

Per L'UOMO Alto MAGRO: Questo tipo ha bisogno di uno stile ci?ɬ? (un) non guarder?ɬ† "tutto il cappello" al di sopra di la sua faccia magra, e (b) romper?ɬ† le linee lunghe di faccia e la figura. Non ha bisogno di una corona affilato e-anche alta.

Se molto alto, evita l'orlo estremo stretto. Se l'altezza media, pu?ɬ? indossare l'il pi?ɬ? stretto. E gli dice di l'indossare con una lato-pendenza. Nell'abbigliamento, evitare le strisce verticali ed il colletto lungo indicato.

Migliore Per Il PERSONA GRANDE: la corona Bassa, l'orlo estrema stretta, l'estremo ha affilato la corona, gli assegni forti, sempre sbagliato. L'alto 200 pounder che resiste in una folla ha bisogno di un cappello abbastanza grande per bilanciare la sua faccia e la sua figura. Te stesso chiede: "lo ?ÉÀÜ un tipo di moda o un tipo di folksy?" Basare la sua decisione di cappello su ci?ɬ?. LA DESTRA per il tipo di moda: la CORONA ?ɬ® pi?ɬ? importante di orlo-larghezza per questo tipo. Pu?ɬ? indossare un orlo moderatamente stretto se combinato con una corona abbastanza piena. Dovrebbe essere premunito per schioccare il suo orlo la sua larghezza piena dal lato per parteggiare.

L'uomo grande pu?ɬ? guardare alla moda nel HOMBURG o nel semi-Homburg pieni incoronati (ha presentato l'orlo). Non l'orlo dovrebbe essere la piatto-serie sui lati? troppo affilato un rotolo. LA DESTRA per il tipo di folksy: Se l'uomo grande non ha desiderio per guardare moderno nella moda, lei pu?ɬ? darlo come grande un orlo come vuole. Il tipo semi-occidentale, con la banda stretta e l'orlo abbastanza largo, diventa di solito. Non la corona pi?ɬ? piena, l'orlo troppo stretto. Schioccare l'orlo pieno attraverso.

Un tipo buono per il Homburg o il semi-Homburg. Pu?ɬ? indossare sempre i tipi Occidentali.

Per L'UOMO BREVE MAGRO L'uomo di piccolo-statured ?ɬ® spesso un persona grande, ed amerebbe mentalmente che la sua importanza per essere visibile. Primo, l'uomo breve DOVREBBE INDOSSARE SEMPRE UN CAPPELLO QUANDO FUORI DI PORTE. Poich?ɬ© porta sulla statura aggiunta ogni volta mette sul cappello giusto, ?ɬ® sciocco per questo tipo di uomo per andare senza cappello.

LA DESTRA: il tipo Migliore di cappello per quest'uomo ?ɬ® il ha presentato l'orlo, con la corona affilata. Lo fa guarda pi?ɬ? alto, e riduce lo sguardo di "bambino". Se vuole che un orlo di schiocco, gli orli stretti e le corone affilate sono una rottura fortunata per lui. Evitare, comunque la corona estremamente bassa e l'orlo estremamente stretto; vuole somigliare a un uomo. La corona di maiale-torta estrema bassa ?ɬ® rischiosa, per l'alcuna ragione. L'orlo di schiocco dovrebbe essere la serie abbastanza piatto al davanti - uno schiocco profondo sopra gli occhi lo sommerger?ɬ†. La corona deve essere affilata - un'alta corona piena ?ɬ® la cosa peggiore che lei pu?ɬ? mettere su lui. La banda di contrasto ?ɬ® migliore di uguagliato, perch?ɬ© il contrasto fa lo sguardo di corona meno alto al di sopra di la sua faccia.

LE RACCOMANDAZIONI DI ABBIGLIAMENTO: gli Abiti con uni tweed di textured massicci sguardo-rudi, i flannels-sono di homespons e napped-superficie migliori di i tessuti di fine lisci. Evitare gli abiti di gesso-striscia e l'altro modelli spogliati che ha un che il dimagrindo effetto; la pianura colora del o gli assegni tranquilli o giocato sono migliori. Le giacche di abito dovrebbero essere piuttosto brevi, per accentuare la gamba-lunghezza. Guarder?ɬ† pi?ɬ? piccolo tuttavia con un porkpie basso, una corona piena, uno schiocco profondo sopra gli occhi. La giacca ed il topcoats dovrebbero essere brevi.

Non ha bisogno di una corona pozzo-affilato, ma cos?ɬ? basso come per farlo somiglia a un "bambino". Un ha presentato l'orlo aggiunger?ɬ† al suo sguardo di altezza e all'importanza.

Questo tipo non dovrebbe mai andare senza cappello - un cappello, come i talloni di ascensore, pu?ɬ? aggiungere alla sua statura.

Per L'UOMO BREVE PAFFUTO

Forse il la maggior parte dell'uomo di mis andare bene, in questo giorno di piccolo, la moda di corona di candela ?ɬ® il persona breve paffuto. La corona bassa affilata ?ɬ® la moda buona e buono cerca una grande percentuale di clienti. Ma ha torto per lui. Fa il suo sguardo di faccia pi?ɬ? pieno ed il suo sguardo di corpo pi?ɬ? breve.

La regola migliore per quest'uomo ?ɬ® la moderazione a tutti i punti - nessuni estremi. LA DESTRA: Quest'uomo pu?ɬ? indossare l'orlo moderno pi?ɬ? stretto (nonostante 15/8", piuttosto che il estremo 1 1/2" o 13/8") SE la corona ?ɬ® abbastanza piena. Tale cappello dovrebbe essere portato in ogni azione oggi. Ma se il negozio porta soltanto la candela estrema nell'orlo stretto, esso- ?ɬ® migliore venderlo un unisce con cucitrice piuttosto che uno alto cappello di moda che guarda sciocco.

La maggior parte di diventa per questo tipo ?ɬ® il semi-Homburg-il cappello con ha presentato l'orlo - poich?ɬ© tende a aggiungere l'altezza. Dovrebbe essere abbastanza il flatset, comunque; evita l'alto rotolo sui lati. In uno schiocco-orlo, suggerire che l'indossa bene sostiene moderatamente sulla testa ed inclinato al lato. Se tirato posa sopra il naso, accorcia la faccia ed accovaccia gi?ɬ? la figura.

Gli abiti di Separa-breasted di RACCOMANDAZIONI DI ABBIGLIAMENTO ed i cappotti sono migliori, aiutando l'illusione di altezza. Diritto che le appendendo linee sono migliore di la misura riparato dal freddo. I tessuti di liscio-fine di buio-intonare sono migliori di gli abiti luminosi e massicci. Nei modelli, conficcare alle strisce verticali. La cravatta stretta ed il colletto-mostrando di piuttosto basso che del collo sono anche consigliati. Il poco cappello di affilato-corona non ?ɬ® per lui! ?ÉÀÜ raramente il tipo per una maiale-torta.

Nei modelli di vestiti strisce verticali sono meglio UN ha presentato l'orlo gli dar?ɬ† l'altezza.

Ma evita l'orlo col rotolo affilato! NESSUNI ESTREMI per quest'uomo. Moderarsi la corona e l'orlo. E schiocca l'orlo la larghezza piena

COME L'UOMO DI CAPPELLO PU?É‚Äô AIUTARE GLI UOMINI CON LE FACCE DIFFICILI

PER L'UOMO CON I GRANDI ORECCHIA

INCORONARE - di evitare l'estremo affila l'ORLO - la larghezza media schioccata piena EVITA - via dallo stili.cappello di faccia dovrebbe essere indossato alto sul sopracciglio

SUPERIORE FACCIA PESANTE

INCORONARE - affilato con l'ORLO di pizzico di davanti - la larghezza media con lo schiocco stretto EVITA ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú le alte corone piene, l'appartamento orlo schioccato

LA PERA HA MODELLATO LA FACCIA

INCORONARE - l'ORLO di piega di centro o Homburg pieno - largo con lo schiocco pieno EVITA - la corona affilata orlo stretto

MENTO RECEDENDO

INCORONARE - di abbassare lo stile con l'ORLO di candela buono - stretto al mezzo col riccio medio EVITA - l'alto corona.cappello pieno dovrebbe essere indossato con la pendenza leggera ed abbastanza il livello

LA CORONA DI MASCELLA PROMINENTE - disprezza le pieghe di centro di candela o il davanti largo pizzica l'ORLO
- la larghezza media con lo schiocco pieno EVITA - troppo stretto un orlo

LA CORONA DI NASO LUNGA - l'altezza media non ha affilato anche l'ORLO - dovrebbe essere abbastanza largo perestendere oltre la punta di INDOSSARE di naso - disprezza la pendenza, abbastanza il livello

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo