Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The B-3 appreciation society …

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
OK then- I am losing my mind.

Never noticed that on an original A-2 before.

I have seen labels from flight trousers doctored and used to "authenticate"
dodgy flight jackets, or those missing labels before-
I remember this being done on a few B-10s.

I hope it's a good jacket then- it certainly looks like honest wear and tear. Does the jacket measure up to its claimed size 44?

So, forgetting my nonsensical label ravings, let's see what the real experts say.

B
T

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
B3

I'm sure that I've seen the 'R' in an original B3 before, so I checked in Maguire's 'Gear up" and found these, which may be of interest...........

b3sizes.jpg

b3label.jpg

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
The R was placed on many different jackets, not necessarily only B-3s.

IMO this jacket is not a repro at all, if it is anything it`s one that might have slipped through the identifiers. Now, we have encountered new G-1 makers that we never new existed for example B&G was a new one and Aviators Equipment also made a G-1 and we had no record of them ever making a G-1 yet we discovered them. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wonderful detective work going on...!

This is just fabulous. I love these threads where the team come together and share their knowledge and expertise to slowly tease out the facts of something. Just brilliant gents :eusa_clap

I'll be changing the thread title slightly, and have added this to the first post. I really think we need a dedicated B-3 thread. If you get a new one, an original, or just have questions … this is the thread! Maybe Mr Middleton could amalgamate various old threads into one with a title as snappy as Irvin Nuts!

p.s. We have an Irvin thread, and dedicated threads to other jackets. Please post all your B3 pics - original, repro, photos from WWII etc, just like the Irvin thread - here and all discussion etc. The B-3 is a great jacket that i'd like people's take on.

bk

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Baron for confirming the contract number. Yes it is a new one for my list. According to David on VLJ this contract is attributed to H. Bernstein in the Full Gear book, a book I wish I could get hold of! I own the earlier contract attributed to Bernstein which is pictured below.
033-2.jpg

013-15.jpg

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
ethanedwards said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33029

Andrew, Steve began a thread on this a few months ago now. Lots of money
for a small book, but well regarded from what I've read.

Yes I did..That's one book I would like to get my hands on. Very expensive and from my understanding only for true hardcore addicts :rolleyes: Maybe I will break down and buy one, but I would rather buy leather than paper if you know what I mean.:)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senicko_Spain said:
Yes I did..That's one book I would like to get my hands on. Very expensive and from my understanding only for true hardcore addicts :rolleyes: Maybe I will break down and buy one, but I would rather buy leather than paper if you know what I mean.:)

Sounds as if its the book for me being a true hardcore addict! I believe there is more on shearling jackets than A2s.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Full Gear

Excellent book with lots of good info, labels, dates etc. And lots of good pics of jackets of course. You can't be a collector and not own this book.

SGB

As promised i've updated the title of the thread.

I've started the transformation of this jacket. The ragged old cuffs i've unpicked and removed. They'll be used to patch the few small tears in the skin. The skin itself is responding well to its first light coat of Pecard's.

The only real issue i'll need to resolve is whether or not to replace the collar, and where to find an appropriate replacement. Sheepskin jackets are ten-a-penny but i don't think the collars would be right for this job. All the hardwear in situ on the collar is in good shape so i'd remove it and transfer to the new collar.

I'll be taking the zip out this weekend and buying a period Talon to sew in. I would very much appreciate close-up shots from other people's original B-3s to see exactly how the zipper should be fitted. I especially want to see the stopper-box end of the zipper to see how it's attached in relation to the inner leather reinforcements. Can anyone oblige with such pictures?

bk

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
B3

I'll be taking the zip out this weekend and buying a period Talon to sew in. I would very much appreciate close-up shots from other people's original B-3s to see exactly how the zipper should be fitted. I especially want to see the stopper-box end of the zipper to see how it's attached in relation to the inner leather reinforcements. Can anyone oblige with such pictures?

bk[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to do that, but it's a repro Baron - Aero, with Talon zip. Let me know. I appreciate you would prefer to work from an original though.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
ethanedwards said:

bk

I'd be happy to do that, but it's a repro Baron - Aero, with Talon zip. Let me know. I appreciate you would prefer to work from an original though.[/QUOTE]

The only B-3 I have ever owned was an HLB, it is now part of John Chapman's collection. Here are some pics, I hope they help. The shot of the zipper stop is a little obscure, but it's all I could find. If I remember correctly I ended up putting a Talon zip on a Crown tape! It's the only zipper pull I had at the time though.

b3talon.jpg

b3tag.jpg

b3open.jpg

b3collar.jpg

b3front.jpg

b3back.jpg

John Lever

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Please use this thread for B-3s. I hope over time it'll become as useful and informative as the Irvin thread.

I picked up a WWII USAAF B-3 that was found in a barn in Scotland. It's a little roughed up, but nothing really serious … certainly fixable. The tag (black w/ white/yellow lettering) is odd in that there is no manufacturer information. The tag reads:

Type B-3
DWG. NO. 33H5595
A.C. ORDER NO. 43-13609-AF
SIZE 44R
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE, U.S. ARMY

I'll try to get some images up in the next couple of days. The jacket is "redskin", 3-panel back.

Any help as to whom that order number was assigned to (i assume the numbers were unique) would be great. I assume 1943?

bk

p.s. We have an Irvin thread, and dedicated threads to other jackets. Please post all your B3 pics - original, repro, photos from WWII etc, just like the Irvin thread - here and all discussion etc. The B-3 is a great jacket that i'd like people's take on.
I think I once owned this jacket. I purchased it from ebay and the seller told me ' The barn ' history. Unfortunately it was too deteriorated for me so I returned it.

Well John, this is an eBay purchase, for the princely sum of 99p, so it looks like this is the one you got, too. You probably remember the almost detached right chest snap. I'm in a quandary as to how to fix this on the cheap.

Steve: Thanks for the picture. From what i can see from my jacket it looks like the person who replaced the zipper simply cut off the teeth of the original and tacked the abomination on top. When i removed the abomination this evening the brown herringbone tape of the typical Talon was underneath!

I Pecarded the front left panel this morning, and it s looking absolutely amazing. Wonderful contrast to the right front panel now. Amazing what a dose of goo will do!

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt