Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The B-3 appreciation society …

surdanis

New in Town
J B said:
You know, I really like the look of the B-3, but I have several questions about it before considering a potential purchase in my future.

Is it sturdy in the cold weather elements, such as heavy snow and rain? Is it warm in conditions below 20 degrees? Or for that matter, can it be worn in weather between 40 to 60 degrees comfortably, or will it be excessively... warm? Overall, would you recommend one for a southern Californian like me, or should I just stick with a G-1?

Thank you, gentlemen.

Ok, I am testing temps around 50 to 53. I am wearing only undershirt and midweight flannel long sleeve shirt. It is warm, but bearable. Do not recommend for anything higher temp. 60 is way too hot.

stillwell

New in Town
Here's my B-3
It's an HLB corp contract B-3 and I got it from a flea market for $50.00

it's pretty beat up and I need to get some patches sewn in on some holes
it also needs a new zipper (ugh)
but I like it, and the leather is still pretty good in most areas

I did have to cut off the wind flap as it was beyond repair (falling-apart-in-my-hands-beyond repair) I do have a replacement though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51274916@N06/sets/72157624274674269/

This is the information on the tag
Type B-3
Size 42 regular
AC drawing no. 33H5595
Order no. W535. AC-17811
H.L.B. Corp. NY

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I've got 2 original B-3's in pretty good shape but I don't wear them. I have ann old Avirex B-3 that I bought in 1976. Let's just say I probably will never get into that one again. I can fit a size 42 A2 pretty decently but the B-3 is a size 38. [huh] :( :(

jpholla10

New in Town
Hey folks, I'm a long time admirer and first time poster on The Fedora Lounge. I recently saved a beat-up old B-3 from a certain trip to the landfill. Having always wanted one but never being able to afford a new one, let alone, a nice original...I decided to purchase this project B-3. I want to restore this B-3 as much as I personally can before I seek out professionals for both pride and pecuniary reasons. This old war horse needs a lot of love and attention including: a new talon zipper, re-attaching the left-side side strap, patching many holes/tears/rips, new cuffs, a full treatment with Pecards, and finally--I need to clean the shearling!!! My first question is, how do I clean the shearling myself without entrusting my prized B-3 to some random Chinese dry cleaner? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just received the Aero B3 I ordered for my son's 19th birthday this November. It was from AeroUSA, and is a work of art! I can't say how nice it is. Mark is awesome. I can't say enough about him or this jacket. I can't take it out to get pics as it's a secret. but wow - this is fantastic!

Windward

Practically Family
Just received the Aero B3 I ordered for my son's 19th birthday this November. It was from AeroUSA, and is a work of art! I can't say how nice it is. Mark is awesome. I can't say enough about him or this jacket. I can't take it out to get pics as it's a secret. but wow - this is fantastic!

ButteMT61 - WOW - sure your son will love it because you know him well ... ButteMT61 you are a great Dad!!!:clap2:

Windward

Practically Family
Pics are always appreciated . . . .

Hi there, I don't own an Aero B3, But one day I will, I have a Cirrus B3 jacket though..

alfyman - the jacket in your avator...is this the one you are talking about?? Looks good on you... BUT ...to post more pics is a duty in this place;)

zoran

Banned
Some detail shots:

Inside (Marlene and Greta thought this was a great palce to curl up):

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008002.jpg

Not easy to get a clear shot of the label, but some attempts:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008004.jpg

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008007.jpg

If I was being particularly anal, I would question the extraneous "made in USA" label that has been added. Seemed an odd inclusion given the boasts of ultra-accuracy on the LW website. [huh] Not something that would be an issue such that I'd feel the need to try and remove it, though.

Strap:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008011.jpg

I wasn't sure whether I'd care for the bi-coloured style of B3, especially with these lighter coloured straps, but I figured I could at least dye the straps down, and given that I'd eventually like an Irvin as well, a bit more variation in the coulr wouldn't hurt. As it happens, I really like the overall appeqrance of this jacket in person, and won't be attempting to change a thing.

Arm side view:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008012.jpg

Back panels:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008015.jpg

Regarding sizing.... I normally wear a 42R suit jacket, but tend to go for a 44R in an overcaot to allow sufficient room for a suit jacket or a sweater, as appropriate. There would certianly be room in this for a sweater (if I ever had to spend much time in sub zero temperatures or felt like committing suicide by boiling myself to death, that is), but the cut is such that with just a T shirt below, I dont feel or look drowned in it. I should expect that come Winter most of the jacket's wear will be over the top of an undershirt and cotton or flannel shirt of some sort. I may even wear it in place of a blazer over collar, tie and waistcoat for less formal days in the office (I've done this already with the AN6552, and it's a great look in my opinion). Quite honestly, long before i heard stories from other folks that the LW guy is difficult to deal with, I'd been put off by his rants on the website, but if this is typical of his products I certainly wouldn't hesistate to buy second hand Lost Worlds again.
Can you tell me the total weight of the Lost worlds B3 jacket? Is it 4 kilos or 5 maybe? Thanks

zoran

Banned
Beautiful.Can you tell me about the weight of Lost Worlds B3?4 kilos? 4,5 or 5 kilos maybe/
Thanks.Zoran

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008002.jpg

Not easy to get a clear shot of the label, but some attempts:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008004.jpg

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008007.jpg

If I was being particularly anal, I would question the extraneous "made in USA" label that has been added. Seemed an odd inclusion given the boasts of ultra-accuracy on the LW website. [huh] Not something that would be an issue such that I'd feel the need to try and remove it, though.

Strap:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008011.jpg

I wasn't sure whether I'd care for the bi-coloured style of B3, especially with these lighter coloured straps, but I figured I could at least dye the straps down, and given that I'd eventually like an Irvin as well, a bit more variation in the coulr wouldn't hurt. As it happens, I really like the overall appeqrance of this jacket in person, and won't be attempting to change a thing.

Arm side view:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008012.jpg

Back panels:

B3PhotosUploaded11September2008015.jpg

Regarding sizing.... I normally wear a 42R suit jacket, but tend to go for a 44R in an overcaot to allow sufficient room for a suit jacket or a sweater, as appropriate. There would certianly be room in this for a sweater (if I ever had to spend much time in sub zero temperatures or felt like committing suicide by boiling myself to death, that is), but the cut is such that with just a T shirt below, I dont feel or look drowned in it. I should expect that come Winter most of the jacket's wear will be over the top of an undershirt and cotton or flannel shirt of some sort. I may even wear it in place of a blazer over collar, tie and waistcoat for less formal days in the office (I've done this already with the AN6552, and it's a great look in my opinion). Quite honestly, long before i heard stories from other folks that the LW guy is difficult to deal with, I'd been put off by his rants on the website, but if this is typical of his products I certainly wouldn't hesistate to buy second hand Lost Worlds again.[/QUOTE]

zoran

Banned
Does anyone know the total weight of Lost Worlds B3 and ANJ4 jackets in regular size 40,42 whatever ???? Are they more than 4 kilos?
5 maybe?I would bay the jacket like this one but I have to know about the weight .Can you compare it with Eastman B3 50 call and Anj4 by Eastman in the point of weight?
Zoran

alfyman

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know the total weight of Lost Worlds B3 and ANJ4 jackets in regular size 40,42 whatever ???? Are they more than 4 kilos?
5 maybe?I would bay the jacket like this one but I have to know about the weight .Can you compare it with Eastman B3 50 call and Anj4 by Eastman in the point of weight?
Zoran
I believe they are around 3.2kilos, according to my recent Jacket "B3"size 44 from flight jackets.com, (6 pounds)

alfyman

One of the Regulars
My New B3 from flight jackets.com right out of the Box, Prior When I received the jacket, it was too long down, it covered my pant zipper. I sent it back to chop 3 inches and here is the result. feels much better although needs to be broken in and fluffed out due to being in a box during delivery, it is really similar to my Eastman that I once owned in the 80's, (Similar i said), Anyway the belts are the only noticeable difference. The Price is really good. Better Pictures to follow..

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 458

zoran

Banned
I believe they are around 3.2kilos, according to my recent Jacket "B3"size 44 from flight jackets.com, (6 pounds)
I didn't expect that answer.I belived they are more than 4 kilos ,maybe 5.One jacket costs 1700 dollars.Are they over priced?Thank you my friend.

zoran

Banned
My size is 42(regular)This one is Eastman B3 50 call edition jacket .It has 3,7 kilos .Does anyone have a suggestion about that.Any coments?

Attachments

• P1080739.jpg
    P1080739.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 462

alfyman

One of the Regulars
More photo's of my New B3, With 1 inch larger Collar(per request) and after Cropping 3 inches from the bottom, size 44..

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    966.4 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0291 (1).jpg
    IMG_0291 (1).jpg