Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Background . . .

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I absolutely look at the background in photos and I agree they give us a glimpse into the wearers life (so to speak). Admittedly, I take terrible photos. I lack the time creativity and frankly the effort that some of you put into your photos.

I belong to another forum where I’d say my photo skills are on par with most others … but that’s a watch forum and I find watches super easy to photograph. Jackets are very difficult to photograph for some reason …

I also vastly prefer when folks post fit pictures of jackets with their measurements. This helps me decide whether a certain jacket or pattern might suit my body type.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I recently started posting on Instagram, sharing not just leather jackets I'm wearing but other outfits too. Still a lot of leather jackets of course. While I still take pictures on the side of my house, I have been trying to get more out and about pictures for variety. I think it makes for a more compelling image.

Generally I prefer pics that show the environment over those that don't. So I'm trying to do that when I can with mine.

In a way its an extension of wanting to see fit pics vs the jacket by itself. Seeing the jacket/outfit in its full context adds more understanding of how the jacket works in different environments. I tend to dress differently depending on what I'm doing. Besides its just cool, as others have said, to get a little window into different lives and different parts of the world.

69E69E38-4548-43CB-92E9-4CCD996B843F.jpeg
F1C3184F-6169-40AE-9A09-077694138A97.jpeg
CF75F68C-08B3-4808-A56D-101F7D4A28B6.jpeg
A89214B9-F819-44E1-85F7-8594CE63E9F5.jpeg

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Small mea culpa, my limited social media time has been eaten up by Insta so I haven't been interacting as much on TFL. Trying to slim my time down there to spend more here.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I only take picture with help of small tripod so it is always at home the same spot on the back where there is natural lighting and with enough distance from the camera to get a full figure pic with less camera distortion, I'm too shy to take picture of myself where there are or there might be other people watching, I planned to put my cellphone on my dashboard and drive somewhere park the car with side window open walk back a bit as if looking for direction press blutooth camera remote several times when I move around within that window's sight as if looking for some clue and walk back toward the car press remote one time again for walking pose, and drive off

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I generally like to take good photos, in proper lighting, with a decent background, but I don't always have the time to do that so I often tend to take pics in the same area. I might try a new one on my roof, but my wife is going to think I'm even more of a dork.

I think we have reached beyond dork level in the minds of our close ones lol

Edward

Bartender
Separate but related:

Years ago in a car forum that I previously patronized, someone started a thread where people posted photos of their local community/neighborhood. Some people lived in rural areas and posted photos of landscapes and country living. Others lived in urban areas and posted photos of city living. Either way, the photos provided a window into the lives of the forum members that was very cool. Is there any interest in such a thread here?

There's a 'back yard' thread on TFL that has been running forever, good place for that sort of thing:

I have a nice view out my back door too.

See above link!

Back ground I've often been limited by taking photos myself, though now the wife is the wife and around all the time, that should change. Not been taking new photos much this last couple of years as I've been working on losing some weight and not interested in buying new stuff until I hit target weight and won't either shrink out of it or, worse, be sapped of the motivation to lose the weight by a nice jacket. On form, I do like a graveyard, a junkyard, or a nice scene of urban desolation as a backdrop to people photos. Old punks never die, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch