Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Beastie Boys on Charlie Rose last night...

Jovan

Suspended
Of course, they were wearing their suits to go along with their new image. They seemed to have fun joking around with Charlie, and at the end of the interview, were complimented for their "great ties." I give Adam Yauch the biggest props, sartorially. He looks like he stepped right out of the mid-'50s with his dark green (looks better than you think) tiny-notched suit, black skinny tie, and plain white forward point shirt with collar bar. One of them -- I forget his name -- could have done without wearing a grey trilby indoors, but I digress.

I would have added this to the discussion on the Beastie Boys already going, but couldn't find it for some reason. If the mods want to move this post there, feel free.

funneman

Practically Family
Ah, the Beasties.

I had the amazing pleasure of standing on the side of the stage at a Beastie Boys performance. They were amazing. Standing next to me were Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff. The look on their faces was quite an endorsment. I can't print here what they said, but it's safe to say the two were quite impressed.

Jovan

Suspended
Very nice. They talked a bit about encouraging their audience to dress up for their concerts... said they saw more sportcoats and suits with the older crowd, but with the younger crowd mostly cargo shorts. How was that where you saw them?

funneman

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Very nice. How was that where you saw them?

It was a Radio Station promotion we did called "Fright Train." We filled a Civil War era train full of listeners and celebrities for a Halloween night ride around the city of Atlanta. Then back to a huge nightclub for the concert.

The Beasties were in their usual uniform of the time (1989ish). Caps on backwards and such.

Everyone else was in Halloween costumes so it was pretty surreal.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I would think this would be the last place to see a discussion of the Beastie Boys.

Jovan, you say they have a new image and were wearing suits on Charlie Rose. It's hard for me to picture them that way. When the Beastie Boys come to my mind I just remember these gansta wanabees in over-sized T's and Adidas Sneakers with their gold name-plate necklaces shouting...'You got to fight for your right to party!!' Are they overhauling their music as well as their attire?

But come to think of it, most of the contemporary HipHop/Rap artists are
dressing with more sophisticated attire. Did Justin Timberlake start this trend?
Jay-Z, P-Diddy and most definitely OutKast contributed to the trend toward more grown-up attire.

OutKast's Outrageous Attire!!

outkast.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks, Josephine!

PD: They've certainly grown up a bit with their music and attire but look like they're still their 20s. I suppose staying indoors and recording music for half of their present ages helps. :) Adam "MCA" Yauch seems to have gotten all the grey hair though -- he had more than Charlie Rose did!

In defence of the Beastie Boys, I've found most of their music fun and energetic even when they wore oversized Ts (which I don't remember seeing them wear, but I suppose it happened at some point or another).

JMADSENK

New in Town
I hardly think the Beastie Boys could ever be considered "gangsta wannabees". I would say that anyone who listens, even casually, to the Beastie Boys would laugh at anyone who attempted to describe them as "gangsta".

Feraud

Bartender
I saw the Beastie Boys perform at The Ritz when Licensed to Ill came out around 86-87.
It was the most crowded and enthusiastic show I ever attended.

Jovan

Suspended
JMADSENK said:
I hardly think the Beastie Boys could ever be considered "gangsta wannabees". I would say that anyone who listens, even casually, to the Beastie Boys would laugh at anyone who attempted to describe them as "gangsta".
Indeed.

timorous me

Familiar Face
to make this slightly more on-topic for the category:

Has anyone else seen their concert film "Awesome; I F***** Shot That!"

If not, it is really quite tremendous. Not just because I think it may be the greatest movie title of all time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley