Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best and worst vehicles for the hat wearer

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have two cars, a 74 Volvo 242 which really works well with my Stylemasters and a 1967 VW Beetle which is the best. No headrest and it's taller than current cars and I can wear ANY hat easily in it :) My brother in laws 99 Chevy single cab PU is the worst especially with the bench seat all the way back and wearing just about ANY hat. Less headroom than my VW and the back window hits the back of the brim especially westerns :)

Last edited:

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I've found that the newer cars with the forward projecting headrests are the problem. My old 96 Mustang convertible has plenty of headroom for my fedora and the headrest is low and angles back.
On my 07 Mustang the headrest hits the back of the brim and pushes it around. My 07 F150 is better but not by much.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My 911 Targa is a good car for hats, once you get in. Top on or off the hat is comfortable. The only problem i encounter is the headrest, but I find that with any car

BR, I find our 2010 911 GTS to be terrible for hats on. I must take my hat off. Granted there are 19 versions of the car, but ours is not good for hats on. The head rest does not allow a back brim. The seat fits snug to the back and while being comfortable it does not allow room for the hat. I am short and have custom seats, but that did not improve the hatted moments. I did not buy the vehicle to accomodate my hats. What's not to like when you can get 0 to 60 in a conservative 4 seconds!

To the thread's point, my wifes 550 Mercedes is a grand hat vehicle. Not only can you drive comfortably with a hat, but the back seats are WAY comfortable with a hat. When we have guests in my wifes vehicle and I sit in the back, my suit and hat are good to go - no wrinkles, plenty of room and plenty of brim room.

Now the past BMW's we owned last year- sparse headroom and fair backseat, even for a 5'3" adult male (me). I say no more! Not all german cars are the same.

Volvo X390 WAY ROOM! GREAT CAR! Room to spare. I love driving this car.

The Toyota Van - room to spare. I just tripped 6.5 hours to a gymnastics meet in the van and found that I had great head space. I do not enjoy a van, bt find them convient for long trips with folks or dogs. For a short balding guy, I can even move from shotgun to back seats with my hat on.

Saturn comuter car - good enough room. The hat brim will hit if you do not recline the seat a bit more than usual. 4 doors - great comuter car to the gym. I learned early on, to drive a car that would be appropriate in the parking lot. This car is "appropriate," never questioned and hence works in our gym's parking lot.

No bigger vehicles in our house as my wife and I together do not add up to over 10'5".

Too many cars, thinking of selling a couple and now considering hat wearing as vehicle functionality, Eric -

Last edited:
My '95 Silverado, '90 Grand Marquis Colony Park, and '87 Caprice Estate all are good hat cars. I've got room all day in there.

I was working on my truck and my brother gave me a run to town for parts in his '99 Alero, I could not get my hat on in the car.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Not so good..........

DSC00545.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've often wonder if the whiplash led to the ultimate demise of the fedora. It took car makers many years to realize we needed head rests, and around the time they came in, hats went out.

As several have said here, it's not the head room, it's the head rests that make it miserable to wear anything more than a stingy brim.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm 5'9". My '03 Buick Park Avenue sedan, with no sunroof, has clearance enough that I don't even bump my tall Open Roads on the headliner when I get in.

That said, I take off my hat when I get into my car. I keep the headrest up a bit so that, if my head snaps back in a crash, it won't travel far. That position is where a headrest should be -- but it doesn't allow for hat wearing.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
5'11". No problems for me in an '08 GMC Sierra pickup. My wife's '10 Subaru Forester, however, is fine only if I don't ever move my head.

carldelo

One Too Many
The Mini Cooper is great for hat wearers - it doesn't knock your hat off when you get in. I like to be able to take the hat on and off while sitting inside, but wouldn't drive with one on. The getting in/out is what matters to me. The head rest on any car should be adjusted so it's at the level of your ear to work properly - a hat interferes with that. Not sure why anyone would try to wear a fedora or a Western while driving any car with headrests.

job

One Too Many
I rarely drive more than 5 miles doing anything because I'm so close to my job, schools, church etc. I think I may adjust my posture to not bump my hat much. If I spent more time in a car the hat might have to come off.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Citroen 2CV: Designed by a taller than average Frenchman (J. P. Boulanger), who specified that it had to accommodate him comfortably while wearing his hat..... and yes, there is certainly plenty of headroom, even without the roof being rolled back!!:D And no headrests either.....

RobStC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails