Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best and worst vehicles for the hat wearer

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Silly Loungers...Hats are for Trucks... :D

Picture009-1-1.jpg

AF
My brother has a Toyota Tundra, and not only do I have to remove my hat to ride in it, I have to lean forward to see anything outside the cab. Terribly cramped design.

Lt. Bob

New in Town
Surprising enough, my Kia Spectra has enough room for me to wear a fedora without hitting my head (on the roof or headrest); and I'm 6'2".

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Best hat cars, any car built by the Chrysler Corporation before 1955. K. T. Keller president of Chrysler said in public " Our cars may not knock your eye out but they won't knock your hat off either".

In private he said "I make cars to ride in not to piss over".

He was 6 feet tall and weighed 300 pounds and wouldn't approve a car for production unless he could drive it in comfort with his hat on.

I used to drive a 52 Chrysler New Yorker. The model they were selling against Cadillac at the time.

Six football players could ride in it in comfort wearing stovepipe hats.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
A lot depends on your body proportions and car seat adjustment. Mazda3 is pretty small and I'm 6'2" and I can still wear my Fed IV while I drive. That's because I lower the seat to the lowest possible position and tilt the back of the seat backwards so that my head positions comfortably with the brim.

mazda3_hat.JPG

A lot depends on your body proportions and car seat adjustment. Mazda3 is pretty small and I'm 6'2" and I can still wear my Fed IV while I drive. That's because I lower the seat to the lowest possible position and tilt the back of the seat backwards so that my head positions comfortably with the brim.

mazda3_hat.JPG

However..it is most always preferable to make adjustments before driving..or at least when on your own side of the road....:eeek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I typically buy cars where my hat fits no matter how the seat is adjusted. But, I do adjust the seat all the way down regardless of what's on my head. I like sitting as far down into the car as is possible. I also have a tendency to tilt back the seat back until the brim of my hat doesn't touch it. It doesn't need to go back too far.

DNO

One Too Many
Just remembered my worst: '94 Toyota Tercel. The roof was so low the only hat you could wear was a beret. Really, you needed a beret for cushioning 'cause your head hit the roof with every bump. Drove that car for 16 years, and aside from the roof thing it was a great vehicle.

J.B.

Practically Family
Vehicle: a Uni...
Pro: Looks like plenty of head space
Con No. 1: Wind will prolly blow hat off
Con No. 2: Wind will prolly blow kilt up

But seriously, The Force is strong with this one...

[video=youtube;Xqp2NoCaXUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqp2NoCaXUY[/video]

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
My Screamin' Eagle Roadglide (Harley Davidson) used to be bad until I figured out that I could reinforce a hat box liner to put in my tourpak allowing me to plop my hat in upside down and carry it without any damage at all.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
As Marc and Blitz said, PT Cruiser works fine with a hat; the retro look goes well with one, too. ;) I have a 2004 model. Unfortunately, Chrysler never does know what to do with a hit when they have one, so the Cruiser was left to languish and die. I've got over 180K miles on mine and have started setting aside money for a used replacement for it. I'm a regional field tech and the Cruiser turned out to be about perfect for the job with the room in the back to haul around IT equipment. The hard part will be finding another one with a manual transmission.

My wife's 2003 Ford Taurus isn't so great for hat wearers. I have to take off the hat when I get in, otherwise it gets knocked off. Depending on how I have the seat I might be able to wear the hat but it usually stays off while I'm in that car.

Cheers,
Tom

Seems MoPar isn't the only one that has that problem, either. The only car I was still a big fan of, from any producer, was the Ford Panther Platform Cars (Crown Vic, Marquis, Town Car) and they were all discontinued last year. Looks like I will only ever be able to buy a used one.

Unfortunately, Chrysler never does know what to do with a hit when they have one, so the Cruiser was left to languish and die. I've got over 180K miles on mine and have started setting aside money for a used replacement for it.
Cheers,
Tom

seabass

Call Me a Cab
i had a 53 hudson wasp 2dr. brougham
get 6 hats in there no problem & plenty of leg room too.
we just could not stick our heads out the windows sorta short side windows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto