Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best and worst vehicles for the hat wearer

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
In the old days, when sun (and moon) roofs used to stow between the outer and inner roofs (rooves?), headroom was significantly less than many of today's cars, where the sliding roof moves rearward above the outer roof, thus not compromising headroom as much because there still needs to be room for the rails the panel slides on below the outer roof.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I'm 6'1" tall and always have to move a car seat to its lowest position. That said, I can drive with my hat on in my wifes "C" series MB and my H3, I can also get in and out of both with the hat on.

Cliff

seabass

Call Me a Cab
232323232_fp635<3>nu%3D8986>396>25%3A>WSNRCG%3D34%3B3%3A8485%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

Got to have your best on in this :cool: Just cant see out the windows

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
:cool:This was mine a long time ago had 5 fedoras in there a few times, & plenty of head room !
232323232%7Ffp63567%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B3%3A8476234%3Bnu0mrj

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Seabass one would have to be dressed fly to ride in those rides for sure.:)
Naww the high belt-lines on the body & the Lowered roof lines....just add fedora or a big Pompadour.
Folks outside only see your head....
actually we wore high crown's
back then so we could still have the Pompadour intact..... no Pomp any more though wish i still had them, the car & the Pomp
got plenty hats though.....man those old hats never got ruined from all that Pomade why?????

Last edited:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Seems like, for me, the biggest problem is the headrest...when there's any issue.
I tilt the seat pretty far back, regardless, so my arms are closer to straight, and that helps a lot.

But makers seem to have an amazing range of ideas about headrests.

I once rented one...no matter how the rest was adjusted, without any hat, it forced my head forward! I had to remove it to drive for any length of time. It would have been impossible, seems to me, with someone who kept the seat tilted farther forward - they'd be looking at their lap.

Others block my view when looking over my shoulder. I've gone so far as to remove the rest and put it in backwards - which you can do with most of them - and that solves hat issues. I'm sure that's a no-no from a safety perspective, but it will still help and hey, having no way to block sun glare other than the limited shades is a bigger safety issue at times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner