Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Custom Western Hat maker!!!

jwalls

Vendor
I have 20+ years of experience with David Johnson at D bar J Hats (702-430-0681) at www.dbarjhats.net. I have had him rebuilt vintage hats, and replicate historic, or movie hats for me. I can recommend his work with out reservation. :) :)

jaymag_87

New in Town
I had a custom Fur Felt Fedora made by Peters Brothers in Fort Worth. I am extremely pleased with it. When and if I decide to get a new Cowboy Hat, I'm getting it there. They make some fine hats and do a good amount of business at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.

www.pbhats.com

You've already made one wise decision, msm007 -- you've come here seeking advice.

You could easily spend two or three times as much with one custom hat shop as you might at another and not have a better hat for it. This seems especially true with Western hats.

The plain truth of it is that there are but a few felt hat body suppliers in the world, and many (most, probably) custom hatters in this country get their bodies from the same source. The difference between one hatter's product and another's is all in how he (or she) finishes that body and trims it out. (And most hatters develop their own signature styles and acquire various pieces of equipment and supplies [ribbon, most notably] that allow them to craft those styles.) Those things can make a BIG difference, for sure, but I've seen hats that sell for six or seven or eight hundred dollars (or more) that aren't any better, and perhaps not even as good, as hats costing a whole lot less.

For a Western hat you'll be happy with -- an all-beaver hat finished and trimmed out right, using nothing but first-rate materials throughout -- I'd recommend Buckaroo Hatters. Mike Moore, the guy who runs the place, is a straight shooter all the way. This is not to even imply that any of the others mentioned is this thread aren't. The posters made those recommendations based on their own experiences, and they're all hat guys, so their opinions count for something. But I know of at least a couple of hatters (who have not been mentioned) who would tell a would-be customer all order of nonsense to justify their wildly inflated prices.

msm007

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
You've already made one wise decision, msm007 -- you've come here seeking advice.

You could easily spend two or three times as much with one custom hat shop as you might at another and not have a better hat for it. This seems especially true with Western hats.

The plain truth of it is that there are but a few felt hat body suppliers in the world, and many (most, probably) custom hatters in this country get their bodies from the same source. The difference between one hatter's product and another's is all in how he (or she) finishes that body and trims it out. (And most hatters develop their own signature styles and acquire various pieces of equipment and supplies [ribbon, most notably] that allow them to craft those styles.) Those things can make a BIG difference, for sure, but I've seen hats that sell for six or seven or eight hundred dollars (or more) that aren't any better, and perhaps not even as good, as hats costing a whole lot less.

For a Western hat you'll be happy with -- an all-beaver hat finished and trimmed out right, using nothing but first-rate materials throughout -- I'd recommend Buckaroo Hatters. Mike Moore, the guy who runs the place, is a straight shooter all the way. This is not to even imply that any of the others mentioned is this thread aren't. The posters made those recommendations based on their own experiences, and they're all hat guys, so their opinions count for something. But I know of at least a couple of hatters (who have not been mentioned) who would tell a would-be customer all order of nonsense to justify their wildly inflated prices.

Thank you very much!!! Definitely food for thought! Being a novice, I wasn't aware that most hatters bought ready-made felt bodies and only shaped them. I'll check out Buckaroo Hatterslol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would find this thread much more interesting if each person who
expressed an opinion were to show a picture of a hat reflecting the
qualities claimed. As it is, I have no way to compare one hat maker
from another. Their web sites certainly aren't much help, since they're
so slick and lack independent evaluation.

There are a lot of interesting posts on this site from Rocky Mountain
Hat Company in Montana, a former member. I can't claim to know
much about modern cowboy hat makers, but I was impressed with
their know how.

msm007

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
I would find this thread much more interesting if each person who
expressed an opinion were to show a picture of a hat reflecting the
qualities claimed. As it is, I have no way to compare one hat maker
from another. Their web sites certainly aren't much help, since they're
so slick and lack independent evaluation.

There are a lot of interesting posts on this site from Rocky Mountain
Hat Company in Montana, a former member. I can't claim to know
much about modern cowboy hat makers, but I was impressed with
their know how.

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of hats that they have purchased from these places?

RBH

Bartender
msm007 said:
Does anyone happen to have any pictures of hats that they have purchased from these places?
Here is the only western Mike Moore has made me, I call it 'The Ranger"
I do have several fedoras from Buckaroo Hatters.

30097907ko6.jpg

tex1qs5.jpg

tex2un5.jpg

tex3tu0.jpg

msm007

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Here is the only western Mike Moore has made me, I call it 'The Ranger"
I do have several fedoras from Buckaroo Hatters.

30097907ko6.jpg

tex1qs5.jpg

tex2un5.jpg

tex3tu0.jpg

Very nice looking hat, it looks very good on you. Thanks for posting the pictures:D

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
Greeley Hat Works seems to be a good outfit, though I've got no experience with them. Trent blocks panamas for Brent Black.

Greeley Hat Works is about 60 miles south of me. I have no experience with their new hats. I had them do minor rehabs on two vintage Stetsons. Replaced a sweat in an older 3X western and restitched a loose sweat in an Open Road 25. Sloppy work in both cases. They might do better on a new custom.

msm007

One of the Regulars
Inusuit said:
Greeley Hat Works is about 60 miles south of me. I have no experience with their new hats. I had them do minor rehabs on two vintage Stetsons. Replaced a sweat in an older 3X western and restitched a loose sweat in an Open Road 25. Sloppy work in both cases. They might do better on a new custom.

Good info., Thanx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy