Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'The Best Years Of Our Lives'

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just a great still from the movie I thought you'd all enjoy!

Annex20-20Andrews20Dana20Best20Year.jpg

-dixon cannon

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Best moment

Best moment in the film: when Myrna Loy realizes that Frederick March is home, a day earlier than she expects him. I always come totally unglued. It's a brilliantly set up shot.
HOWEVER! This particular shot is quite the opposite. Our boy Dana Andrews is home and his wife, Virginia Mayo is acting all happy to see him, but she really ain't!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
In some long ago documentary they interviewed Billy Wilder about the scene when Harold gets home and Billy said (paraphrased) "I cried like a baby at that scene; and I laugh at Hamlet".

Everyone's so good in that film but it's sometimes hard to watch.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
In some long ago documentary they interviewed Billy Wilder about the scene when Harold gets home and Billy said (paraphrased) "I cried like a baby at that scene; and I laugh at Hamlet".

Everyone's so good in that film but it's sometimes hard to watch.

I agree, it's a good movie, but I too find it hard to watch.:eek:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Fans of this picture might want to check out SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, starring Claudette Colbert and Jennifer Jones. It's not the classic that BEST YEARS is, but it's a solid effort. It focuses on the difficulties incurred on the home front during the war more than the trials and tribulations of returning veterans, and I do recommend it highly.

Papa Noir

New in Town
skyvue said:
Fans of this picture might want to check out SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, starring Claudette Colbert and Jennifer Jones. It's not the classic that BEST YEARS is, but it's a solid effort. It focuses on the difficulties incurred on the home front during the war more than the trials and tribulations of returning veterans, and I do recommend it highly.

Very true, not quite the caliber of Best Years, but a solid flick with many of the same themes. I completely agree. And what a great supporting cast: Shirley Temple, Agnes Moorehead, Lionel Barrymore, Hattie McDaniel, and Robert Walker. It even won the Oscar for best score by Max Steiner. Great movie.:eusa_clap

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
A movie so good I can barely watch it. Cold sweats in the nose at the aircraft graveyard to the overwhelming sweetness of Homers belle. Hogie Carmichael tickling the ivories, Dana's old mans hand shaking as he looks over the ignored commendations. I get a lump in my my throat listing these few of many. A snapshot of a major shift in America. You can almost hear the tractors rusting and smell the bulldozers exhaust. A film can't say or do more than this gift from Hollywood.

Chas

One Too Many
I have my own copy. It's also on my list of the greatest war films of all time.
My top ten:

1. All Quiet On The Western Front (1932)
2. Lawrence Of Arabia
3. Der Untergang English title: "Downfall"
4. Das Boot (Director's Cut)
5. The Best Years Of Our Lives
6. Glory
7. Apocolypse Now (Redux)
8. Paths Of Glory
9. The Burmese Harp The Burmese Harp
10. The Thin Red Line (far superior, IMHO, to Saving Private Ryan, which I consider a CGI Sargeant Rock Comic)

Honorable mentions:
~The Blue Max
~Full Metal Jacket
~Dr. Strangelove or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
~Breaker Morant
~Gallipoli
~The Cruel Sea
~The Great Escape
J'Accuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members