Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Biba Look

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
The "Biba" look or "Dudu" look appears totally timeless, doe eyed and bohemian

62069_twiggy_122_152lo.jpg

Twiggy in early 1970's

Making%2BFaces%2BBiba.jpg

Kate Moss ( late 1990's?)

biba02.jpg

Make up counter at Big Biba Kensington high Street ( Now Marks N Sparks)

crwritt

One Too Many
Twiggy did it better, in my opinion. Kate Moss looks like a cheap imitation.
But then again, Twiggy is imitating a 20's look.
Can you explain to me the allure of shaved eyebrows?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Can you explain to me the allure of shaved eyebrows?

Nothing wrong with shaved and drawn on eyebrows. I actually get a little annoyed when people say negative things about it. I don't HAVE eyebrows. I'm very blonde and what I do have isn't worth having so I draw them on. I look 100x better. I actually don't like thick, dark eyebrows, but if someone else does I won't ask them why they find it appealing. It's their face -- do as they wish.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Yes, that's true. Drawn on brows can sometimes look bad -- no doubt about that lol
But seriously, my natural brows are blonde and sparse. My grandmother is the same way. I'm just SO UNHAIRY!! I've been drawing mine on for about 12 years now so I have it down to a science. Not all drawn-on brows look like Marlene Dietrich!! lol

crwritt

One Too Many
Yes, that's true. Drawn on brows can sometimes look bad -- no doubt about that lol
But seriously, my natural brows are blonde and sparse. My grandmother is the same way. I'm just SO UNHAIRY!! I've been drawing mine on for about 12 years now so I have it down to a science. Not all drawn-on brows look like Marlene Dietrich!! lol

I can certainly see filling them in if they're light and sparse, but shaving them off entirely? I met a store clerk the other day who had shaved hers off and drawn them two inches higher. Not sure what her thought process was.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm a costume-y type of gal, so I do appreciate high, fake eyebrows. I think they look good. Don't like 'em? Look the other way.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I can certainly see filling them in if they're light and sparse, but shaving them off entirely? I met a store clerk the other day who had shaved hers off and drawn them two inches higher. Not sure what her thought process was.

My mom's eyebrows are sparse with just a few long hairs here and there, so just shaving them off is better for her.

I can see how drawing eyebrows a bit too high might make a person look surprised.

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
I think I know what your talking about, its that chola look, and it looks terrible! I am blond and have to draw in my eyebrows too, but there is a difference from a pretty elegant drawn brow and those scary looking chola brows.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

My grandmother used to do that. I often wondered what she was looking at during the process.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I think I know what your talking about, its that chola look, and it looks terrible! I am blond and have to draw in my eyebrows too, but there is a difference from a pretty elegant drawn brow and those scary looking chola brows.

I've been lurking on this thread as I must admit I am kind of a fan of the pencilled-in brow look a la Harlow. (Not for me, however, and my brows, which naturally veer toward the Brooke Shields end of the spectrum...like two - or one- fuzzy wuzzy caterpillars if I lay off the tweezers for more than a couple of days.) Anyway, I had no idea what a chola was, so I did a google and found everything from dead ringers for Divine to Tura Satana look-alikes. The Turas were kind of, well, interesting, but I wouldn't want to meet either in a dark alley...

Farren Randolph

New in Town
I think both Twiggy and Kate Moss look great. It's a nice adaptation of the '20's look. I've tried it myself, but with glasses... so unflattering on me.

Drawn on eyebrows can be quite a statement. I'm too chicken to try it, so I tip my hat to anyone who has. I can totally see the appeal if you have very light or sparse brows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy