Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The " big 2 " in budget denim

TLW '90

Practically Family
My experience with Levi's vs wranglers budget jeans
Setting aside my views on Levi's as a company today, I really just do not like their products.

I've had the cheapest $25 big box store Levi's, and I've had the " better "$60 department store...ect signature series I think they are, and they all inevitably split right down the ass in less than a year.

I also never liked the fit or pockets of any Levi's I've worn, the denim on the more expensive ones seemed good but no Levi's have ever lasted very long for me that I know of.
I'm sure every pair I've ever had was probably made overseas though, obviously they just don't make 'em like they used to.
This is going back to when I was a kid too, I used to sometimes get these cheap thin route 66 jeans from Kmart and they lasted longer than Levi's.

To date I've only had the cheapest $25 or so Wranglers and I always have to wear them out, I don't take good care of my Jeans and my wranglers never let me down until I eventually wear through the knees. I can always get a couple years out of them at least.
I like the fit of them and the pockets are just right for me.

Am I the only one who's had bad luck with modern Levi's?

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Up through high school I had always worn the heaviest-canvas jeans Levi's made, but quit buying them in the early 80's because Levi's decided to voice their political views, some of which I strongly opposed. So I switched to Wranglers, and because I am tall with a long torso I have been very happy with their high-waist, thick denim jeans ever since.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Up through high school I had always worn the heaviest-canvas jeans Levi's made, but quit buying them in the early 80's because Levi's decided to voice their political views, some of which I strongly opposed. So I switched to Wranglers, and because I am tall with a long torso I have been very happy with their high-waist, thick denim jeans ever since.
The high waist is another thing I like about Wranglers, my flannels stay tucked in much better with them.

A couple years ago I handled a pair of their original cowboy cuts that really impressed me but my size was out of stock and I just keep forgetting to order a pair.
I'm definately going to try a pair out here soon, i don't think I've ever had any jeans in a 14oz denim before but I sure like the idea of such a sturdy pair of pants.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I highly recommend the Cowboy Cut's by Wrangler's. Typically around $30 (depends upon the store) and available in a very wide range of size.

Only downside of the higher rise & snug cut is the pockets can be a little tight to get your phone out of. They are seriously durable, I have 2 pair with over 10 years of wear on them. Never ripped, etc.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Try Brave Star's medium weights. No bullshit Made in the Mysterious East or Mexico jeans. 2x the price? Yes, and worth it.

Can you link in this information? Just looked at thier site, all I am seeing are Selvedge denim (Which the Wranglers & Levi's are not) and $100+ on price - but most "sold out"

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have owned LC King's (standard 5-pocket denium jeans) as well, when I purchased them 4 years back were ~ $65.00. They are now $115.00 and really, they are made in USA in Tennesse but have not worn any better, or been all that much of an improvement from the $30 Mexico constructed Wranglers. I prefer to use that budget for jackets & boots, more than jeans.

LC King - 5 - pocket jeans may be found here: https://lcking.com/collections/heri...ed-denim-5-pocket-jean?variant=32024693932099

TLW '90

Practically Family
I highly recommend the Cowboy Cut's by Wrangler's. Typically around $30 (depends upon the store) and available in a very wide range of size.

Only downside of the higher rise & snug cut is the pockets can be a little tight to get your phone out of. They are seriously durable, I have 2 pair with over 10 years of wear on them. Never ripped, etc.
Those pockets don't sound too great.
If I can't get into my pocket to retrieve my pocket knife small multitool pen or my pocket organizer easily then they're not going to work for me.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
I have owned LC King's (standard 5-pocket denium jeans) as well, when I purchased them 4 years back were ~ $65.00. They are now $115.00 and really, they are made in USA in Tennesse but have not worn any better, or been all that much of an improvement from the $30 Mexico constructed Wranglers. I prefer to use that budget for jackets & boots, more than jeans.

LC King - 5 - pocket jeans may be found here: https://lcking.com/collections/heri...ed-denim-5-pocket-jean?variant=32024693932099
Texas Jean's seemed like a really good value at under $50, made in the USA but they don't make my size.
I'm not sure I wanna pay $115 for pants, I just don't take care of them and like you I'd rather put that money into boots and jackets.
Jeans to me seem to be a thing where it can be hard to notice a quality difference, but boots and jackets are an area where a different is noticeable and where I will not buy cheap imports.
Boots and jackets have to be American made for me, the only exception is the Bangladesh made Wrangler denim jacket I bought a few years ago.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Those pockets don't sound too great.
If I can't get into my pocket to retrieve my pocket knife small multitool pen or my pocket organizer easily then they're not going to work for me.

Try a pair on when you see them Boot Barns (if you have that chain) has them on the shelf along with Tractor Supply and most other farm/Ag related stores. The pocket isn't too hard to access, but they are a little smaller than some and with the size of today's smart phone - they do get a bit cramped.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Regarding your LC Jeans note - I agree. It wasn't too bad for $65, but a no-go for $115.

I have no issue buying European made jackets & even boots, but seems my tasted have shifted back a little more to US-made for boots (White's & Nick's primarily) and jackets (Lost Worlds, Vanson, Johnson Leathers, Just Leathers, Cal Leathers, etc).

Good luck with the jeans search. Here's the link to Tractor Supply and their Wrangler Cowboy Cut's - note the Rigid are just that - not broken in at all. The Original-fit Pre-washed may be a more comfortable option.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wrangler-rigid-mens-cowboy-cut-original-fit-jean

Carhartt's may be a good option for you too:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carhartt-mens-relaxed-fit-holter-jeans-frontier

TLW '90

Practically Family
Try a pair on when you see them Boot Barns (if you have that chain) has them on the shelf along with Tractor Supply and most other farm/Ag related stores. The pocket isn't too hard to access, but they are a little smaller than some and with the size of today's smart phone - they do get a bit cramped.
the local feed store probably has them, they have a. decent selection of clothing that i just never looked at
theres a boot barn in my general vicinity, but ive never been there because their prices are higher and i was told you dont get the box which doesnt sit right with me.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
I wore Levi's most of my life, with a small period of wearing Lee's jeans in college. At some point Levi's stopped fitting me so well. About two years ago, I tried the Cowboy Cut Wranglers and never went back. I love the high waist, and I've not had any problems accessing either the front or back pockets. In fact, the cowboy cut places the back pockets much higher up, so that you don't sit on them, which makes carying your wallet in your back pocket so much more comfortable...you arent' sitting on it all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points