Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Dahlia

ratpack66

New in Town
black dahlia

I myself am a huge fan of L A Confidential movie and book.I've read all a Ellroys
L A Quartet with The Black Dahlia being my favorite book.Ever since I first read the book back in 89,I wished for years a movie version of it would be made.So
naturally when the movie came out,I ran to see it.God what a let down in my opinion a fantastic book was turned into a average movie.I mean didn't Josh Freidman(screenwriter) read the book.If I had the money and power I would remake it now.Yes I have it on dvd, but basically for the clothes and style.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia Tour

Since a post was made to this thread yesterday, I'll take it as an omen to mention this tour that is coming up very soon in Los Angeles. http://www.esotouric.com/blackdahlia
The people that run these tours are funny, erudite and very sweet. They do everything they can to acquaint you with Elizabeth Short, her time period and the meaning of "noir."

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Interesting-

ratpack66 said:
The Black Dahlia being my favorite book.Ever since I first read the book back in 89,I wished for years a movie version of it would be made.So naturally when the movie came out,I ran to see it.God what a let down in my opinion a fantastic book was turned into a average movie.I mean didn't Josh Freidman(screenwriter) read the book.

Question if anyone knows or wishes to discuss it.

Ratpack66- Interestingly, yes he did. And Ellroy read his screenplay and approved it. I think the movie was great for someone who hadn't read the book (or at least was better). For fans of the book, so far I have not met one who liked the movie (me included). I have grown to like it more with time but I think this one truly fails to live up to the promise of the book. [huh] (But who am I to say- on the DVD and in another special I saw Ellroy say he thought the screenplay was excellent and he liked the movie). [huh]

I have to admit that I too sometimes watch the movie for the hats and other costumes. One thing I did like about this one was the fact that the police were kept to only a few changes of clothes (a decision made after research on the actual habits of the LAPD and detectives in particular). I don't know about the exact historical accuracy of the costumes ;) but there were several hats in there I would love to have and know more about. The gray fedora worn by Bucky. I want one (and his mom needs to smack him for the way he handled it!). [bad] Point being what can anyone tell me about the hats in the movie? Period or reproductions?

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
You are correct, I think

Benny Holiday said:
Did any of your other fedora wearers notice that the extras wore all the best hats? I can't quite pick what it is about Hartnett's hat that just looks so wrong. And the whole colour scheme looks drab and off costume-wise.

From what I can tell from sources, the decision was made to do just what you seemed to pick up. That there was an attempt to make the characters "drab" in terms of costume. These two were especially so because, being young and from poorer backgrounds, they had little in the way of resources. Thus the older/wiser (wealthier) detectives dressed (and hatted) better quality. I think it even made it into the behavior with the hat with Bucky being particularly inappropriate (he always, for example, removed the hat by the crown). His hat was particularly chosen to look as if it were a second hand pick-up. (Actually I liked the look for an everyday hat and would love to get one of that color as it is particularly adaptable- but the ribbon seemed "off" as if it had been placed onto the wrong hat). Anyway, the gray hat was also chosen to signify the ambivalence of that character whereas the partner had already moved to a darker reality (which you learn late is the case). I didn't particularly like this movie either but I didn't hate it as much as a lot of people did. It was just not the kind of thing one has grown to except from reading Ellroy.

A.R. McVintage

mtechthang said:
For fans of the book, so far I have not met one who liked the movie (me included).

My problems have nothing to do with the adaptation part at all, but with the direction. De Palma should be ashamed of letting Fiona Shaw's histrionics pass for madness at the end of the film, letting the casting of women who look nothing alike as the Dahlia and Madeline slide, using actors/actresses way too young for the parts to play people with histories (Johansson was scarred by her pimp when she was what, 12?) and for doing pointless things like the Dark Passage "Shot-in-first-person" riff (portmanteau of rip-off?) which jars horribly with the rest of the direction.

It's just a huge cluster of poor choices that ruin the film.

Curtis Hanson has nothing to worry about in the neo-noir or Ellroy departments.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
True Confessions

I just wanted to say I love True Confessions: from the High Mass towards the beginning all the way through. Captures the period. DeNiro in a one-off rôle WAS that priest. The detective/gangster story only superficially like the Black Dahlia (the girl was cut in two) is good too.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
L.A.P.D. FETISH

I didn't like this film, not surprised by that, as I don't care
for Ellroy or his fetish for the L.A.P.D.
I did'nt like "Confidential" before I knew who Ellroy was.
His depictions of the detectives of that force, are of
Marvel comic superheroes, and in my humble opinion,
just aren't accurate, or responsible, responsible being the operative word in this reply.
His main characters usually display his racist attitudes,
or at the very least, his prejudice towards black people(s),
that's the un responsible portion of his work that I find distasteful.
He's been given opportunity to comment about this, and his responses have
been just as distasteful.
There have been "minority" officers with the L.A.P.D. going back to the 1920's,
(not in these films) I belive there should be though, just to add some contrast
to the bombardment of negative stereotypes portrayed by ALL his non anglo characters.
Like most of you, I watched both films for costuming, sets etc.
but knowing of J.E.'s attitudes before watching "Dahlia"
I had hoped to be able to ignore the things in the screenplay that would
normally bother me...it was next to impossible to do this,
and after twenty minutes, or so;
I lost interest, and made a couple of phone calls, or prepped green beans
for the evening's supper etc. while it was on the tele.
I've just read the "Wiki" on him as I was writing this reply....
now, I have a little more understanding of why he glorifies the
L.A.P.D. so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ellroy
Painful memories of childhood can take it's toll
on you and others around you.

Cheers Fats

PS
Young Fogey,
I loved "True Confessions" also,
in particular the depictions of old
Olvera street!

Baby_Nae

New in Town
I just didn't like this movie at all. I guess Hilary Swank's character annoyed me the most. She just didn't seem to belong in the movie at all. Her connection with the other characters seemed way too "out there" and hard to believe.[huh]

B

BAZ

This movie just bored us!! It was so unfulfilling, that we actually didn't get to see the end, as recording conflicts made our dvr switch channels to record other things. My wife and I looked at each other, shrugged, and watched something else!
STILL haven't been bothered to see the end.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner