Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Ghost Rider, Looks great! My friend Herbert Jennissen owns Hut Neubarth. He is a trained (in Austria) hat maker but no longer makes men's hats. By the way with your small hat size you will be able to find great vintage deals. Here is an example of custom bow work done by Hut Neubarth.

Many thanks. I must say that Hut Neubarth are extremely competent and also very, very honest! Herbert Jennissen told me that they no longer make men's hats and also said that their own production was no match for Borsalino's quality. He had just returned from a visit to Borsalino and took great delight in explaining some of the finer points - such as the 24 carat gold used for the lettering in the lining.

When I returned to collect the finished hat (Herbert Jennissen was unfortuntately not there), it still felt rather large. I was convinced that no work had actually been done, since the stitching was absolutely perfect. After calling him, he explained the work that had been done and also said that they don't normally do this - not because they can't, but since it is really painstaking and expensive - however, since it was a Borsalino, it was worth it. His advice was to wear the hat lower than I usually do. So, I tried his advice and hey presto, it does fit after all!

I'm not really into the vintage thing (at least not yet), but one advantage of my small head is that if a hat shop has something in my size (rare), it is often on special offer, since they haven't been able to sell it in that obscure (for Germany) size. This was the result of my other Borsalino (hemp).

Orangegrad and Chepstow: Many thanks for the kind words. I don't normally wear brown, but this is really dark (Zartbitterbraun) and I just couldn't resist it :)

Great to hear you met Herbert! You can see the top notch detail work they did with the bow I posted above. By the way your small hat size makes it much easier to find dead stock hats. I would ask the stores you visit if they have old stock (1970s and back) in small sizes.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Great to hear you met Herbert! You can see the top notch detail work they did with the bow I posted above. By the way your small hat size makes it much easier to find dead stock hats. I would ask the stores you visit if they have old stock (1970s and back) in small sizes.

Many thanks for the tip - I'll have to remember that.

By the way, I know this is not the right thread, but I note that on this and your excellent website/blog of German hatmakers that you don't mention my local (just 8 miles away) hatmaker:

http://www.hutfabrik-sutterer.de/

Most of their work is Trachten hats and for carnivals, but there's a nice video under the "Über uns" link on their site. One of these days I might be tempted to ask them to make me something - just for something unique.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Ghost, perfect fit and perfect look....

To be honest, at the beginning I was still really unsure. That's one of the things I love about this lounge - the opportunity to look at photos of other loungers wearing hats, plus posts about the "Golden ratio" and how a hat should fit. I know that for the "old hands" here it is easy to say "just wear it", but for the newbies to hat wearing such as me, it has been really valuable, so many thanks to all!

Yes I am aware of them but must have forgot to make a post. It would be great if you could stop by and let us know what you find. I would be especially interested in what vintage dress blocks and flanges they have and if they would be willing to make custom men's dress hats. Also please post the website and video links in the German - Austrian thread when you have a chance.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Could somebody identify which model Borsalino hat the actor Alain Delon is opening and wearing in this video?

[video=youtube;cB762hlYCJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB762hlYCJE[/video]

In the video, he is discussing the 1970 film Borsalino. Do you think this hat could be the one Borsalino calls the Film by name?

It's an old factory Borsalino (see liner label at 1:17) so pre early 1980s. Have no idea about the model name but it looks similar to the one in the movie. Also new old stock condition. Nice gift!

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It's an old factory Borsalino (see liner label at 1:17) so pre early 1980s. Have no idea about the model name but it looks similar to the one in the movie. Also new old stock condition. Nice gift!

Yes, it does look like a nice hat! It also reminds me of the moonstone Akubra Federation IVs, but the Borsalino Film as well. I don't know too many modern hats that have a very similar light grey color to this one.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New Borsalino arrived today! Nice long hair from Munich, the Shop is Loden Frey a exclusive Shop for Alpine and Trachten Clothing!
The Hat is from the 80s in a very good and rarely worn condition. A mid braun/gray . Very supples and soft fur felt!

Modell Gris Fumo Folco

ldwk.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I picked up this grey Borso from a fellow lounger not that long ago, and it's a real beaut. 4 1/2 inch crown as creased, with a 2 5/8 brim and a 1 5/8 grossgrain ribbon and a mode/cavanagh edge. The sweat is taped in the back, and it has a thin tissue-type paper sewn in with the sweat; the factory tag seems to place it in pre-52, but no matter what, it's a soft, comfortable easily-wearable hat. Oh, and even though it says 5 1/2, it measures a full 23" inside.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael