Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...if I am not mistaken

... the S,M,L,XL sizing denotes a period when Bollman had the Borso license for, and made the hats in, N. America.

Someone set me straight if I am wrong, eh? [huh]

DonJuan

New in Town
Does anyone anywhere else on this forum own 1? I'm debating on leaving it the way it is or having the brim trimmed, a cleanup, and a wider band. Just so I don't have to burn out my $400 brass rooster custom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
news of the flea market hunter. Some finds from Düsseldorf last Sunday!

A nice newer Borsalino Traveller in Dark Blue with nice brim stitching.
BorsalinoTraveller3.jpg

and a nice soft Borsalino stingy with an beautiful lining! One of my favs now !
BorsalinoPlayer3.jpg

and a nice dark Brown Export Quality Borsalino Folco ! I wondering, Export Quality with that liner ?
BorsalinoFolco3.jpg

Last edited:

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Does anyone anywhere else on this forum own 1? I'm debating on leaving it the way it is or having the brim trimmed, a cleanup, and a wider band. Just so I don't have to burn out my $400 brass rooster custom.

DonJuan, I'm not very familiar with Borsalino hats, having only two in my "collection". I know that one of the hats is a "Made in USA" version. Both hats have sweatbands made of some of the softest leather I've yet to encounter for this application.

Based on what I can see of your hat, it appears to be aimed at the lower-end market based on the appearance of the material from which the hat is constructed and because of the textile sweatband. That's about all I can say.

Manfred, Great Flea Market finds! The first two are rollable hats. I agree about the colors and stitching on the modern one. The stitched felt and liner effect on the older one is really great. The liner design in the last one reminds of some of my later 1970s Export Qualitäts. Does it have a paper label?

DonJuan

New in Town
I guess I'm seeking more in depth answers, such as what year it may have been produced, where, and if anyone else has ever seen one. Does anyone know of any other hat forums?

tommyK

One Too Many
I guess I'm seeking more in depth answers, such as what year it may have been produced, where, and if anyone else has ever seen one. Does anyone know of any other hat forums?

I think You've stumped everyone here. I agree with the earlier post that this a more modern low end Borsalino from the last 20 or 30 years, probably not older. Cool felt on it, it's a keeper if you ask me.

If somebody on here doesn't respond with the information you are looking for you are probably out of luck. Steven (Besdor) from Bencraft Hats (posts here) probably knows so hopefully he will see your post. As mentioned it might be made by Bollman (Adamstown, PA) under license so fairly recent.

Last edited:

DonJuan

New in Town
Wow I stumped the panel?? Lol I appreciate everyone's help. I did find 1 on eBay. The seller is prob just as lost as I am. Mine is near perfect, I know it's not worth $100 I'm just more curious about the date it was made.
a253520dda40a0fafffa9ed3c21f3eac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photogravity

One of the Regulars
Wow I stumped the panel?? Lol I appreciate everyone's help. I did find 1 on eBay. The seller is prob just as lost as I am. Mine is near perfect, I know it's not worth $100 I'm just more curious about the date it was made.

This reminds me of the old Car Talk feature "Stump the Chumps". $100 is definitely optimistic on the part of that seller. I guess that's why it has a "Make An Offer" available on it.

DonJuan

New in Town
This is a low end Borsalino, that's obvious. But I haven't found any proof of where they are made and what year. I found 1 article stating they are only distributed by bollman and this is a recent article. Either way I picked it up for $25, I'll spend another $25 on a band and cleaning and it should make a good knock around hat.

6df463f88b1c6de2a44ac4a446918fdc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore