Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

eli104

New in Town
Spoke to the manager last night. He said he'll cover the cleaning. (Of course that was before we discovered my wife's coat has stains in it too).

- eli104

viclip

Practically Family
But will the talc work if I won't be able to get to it for another week? That's my problem right now... Vacation and no chance to try cleaning before New Year's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've successfully removed greasy leather preservative stains from fur felt hats, which staining was several months old. Your mileage may vary, bearing in mind that a greasy food stain could have various ingredients included therein.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I've successfully removed greasy leather preservative stains from fur felt hats, which staining was several months old. Your mileage may vary, bearing in mind that a greasy food stain could have various ingredients included therein.
What did you use to clean the leather preservative from the felt?

viclip

Practically Family
What did you use to clean the leather preservative from the felt?
I had been referring to talcum powder, which I use as an absorbent/poultice ~ same idea as non-clumping kitty litter used to clean up oil spills in the driveway.

I've also used naphtha with excellent results on oily stains, when I'm careful to hold the hat overhead. Whereas talc won't spread a stain, the naphtha can & will as it soaks about the spot in question. Thus when using naphtha I make a point of holding the hat such that the stain is facing down, the gravitational force goes a long way in counteracting the wetting forces at play so the affair remains localized as the stain is leached out into the rag or paper towel I use to quickly blot the naphtha following application.

eli104

New in Town
Once again, major thanks. I'll be back after New Year's, and will give this all a try it post a photo of my plans with questions. No need to ruin a good hat for poor planning.

- eli104

viclip

Practically Family
Once again, major thanks. I'll be back after New Year's, and will give this all a try it post a photo of my plans with questions. No need to ruin a good hat for poor planning.

- eli104
One further bit of advice, based upon sad experience.

The oily stains on your hat appear to be limited to the band. I would therefore strongly urge that you try the talcum powder treatment before resorting to naphtha.

It's often problematic to use naphtha to spot clean hat bands. The naphtha tends to spread the stain &/or pick up coloration from the felt underneath, including sanding dust trapped between the hat band & the body of the hat. If you've ever tried to spot clean a silk necktie then you'll know what I mean ~ some clean up well while others are ruined. If the stain spreads & leaves an obvious discolored area, all may not be lost; just apply the cleaner to the entire hat band & this usually uniformly stains the entire band. You'll wind up with a somewhat different shade of hat band, but at least there's no annoying little stain that's somehow obvious from 800 yards.

eli104

New in Town
Ok. And when you say "talc" are you actually talking about talcum powder, like Johnson's Baby Powder or Gold Bond? Or does that really matter? There's already a bit or water stain that I spread on the band when I tried to toothbrush it away in the hotel room the night it happened. But it's still only on the band, not the hat.

- eli104

Are you saying the stain is only on the ribbon, not on the felt? If that's true, ribbons can be replaced, or even removed and cleaned separately. That is something DelMonico can help you with. You could even try taking it off and seeing if a dry cleaner could work some spot magic on it, then have DelMonico put it back on.

eli104

New in Town
That may be the ticket then! Yes it appears to be only the ribbon. Somehow the splatter only hit the fabric and not the felt. Feeling more uplifted now. But I'm not going to be the one who does the stitching on this one. DeMonico will have a visit from me next week! Thanks!!

- eli104

viclip

Practically Family
Ok. And when you say "talc" are you actually talking about talcum powder, like Johnson's Baby Powder or Gold Bond? Or does that really matter? There's already a bit or water stain that I spread on the band when I tried to toothbrush it away in the hotel room the night it happened. But it's still only on the band, not the hat.

- eli104
Since you've indicated that you'll be replacing the hat band or ribbon, my response may be moot but nevertheless of value for future reference. I make a point of using pure talcum powder. Sources which come readily to mind include:

• fountain pen repairers (used to lubricate rubber bladders)
  • bicycle shops (used to lubricate inner tubes)
  • pool hall suppliers (used to lubricate the cue stick)
  • speed shops (used to lubricate custom-length spark plug wires for insertion through their boots)
  • dive shops (used to lubricate rubber diving suits)
  • pharmacies

Consumer products like baby powder, foot powder, men's talc etc. usually contain added ingredients, which may or may not be suitable for the intended hat-cleaning use. For example, these products are avoided when lubricating rubber because they often contain petroleum-based ingredients with which rubber doesn't agree; on a hat such products could leave some sort of smear so why take the chance if the pure powder is available?

eli104

New in Town
The saga of the oil stained ribbon contunues.

I took the hat to Delmonico Hatter in New Haven, and Ralph (who has to be 90 or so) tried to get the oil stain out, unfortunately to no avail. The next suggestion from Ernest (the owner) was to remove the ribbon and take it to a dry cleaner. That's where the ribbon is right now... waiting until the end of the week to see the results, but there may actually be an issue becuase we attempted cleaning it before the dry cleaner to get to it, so the color may be spotty. Assuming it does come clean, Delmonico will sew it back on, and the restaurant will pay for everything. If the ribbon does NOT come clean... then I'm not sure...

We are assuming that since this hat is from the 50's-60's the ribbon is silk, and since the hat has never before been cleaned and blocked, there are no other discolorations anywhere... so a change in the ribbon will be most noticable. Ernest says that it's not likely we will find another ribbon to match this one, since most these days are rayon or some other "fake" fabric. Even if we do come close, the color will likely vary and there goes the value (sentimental and otherwise) down the tubes.

Question New: Anyone know where I might find a ribbon for an otherwise perfect 50+ year old Borsalino?

IMG_5803 small.jpg

The ribbon is almost certainly rayon - which is a cellulose fiber in common use since the early 20th century as a silk substitute. Virtually all hat ribbons that you will find in the vintage market have rayon ribbons. It has much of the look and feel of silk, but not the durability. It will be very difficult to clean. Fortunately, vintage rayon ribbon is not hard to come by and many custom hatters have some in their inventory of supplies. Art Fawcett and Bob Jessee (Black Sheep Hat Works) would be able to replace this ribbon for you losing very little in the translation.

eli104

New in Town
Oh how I LOVE this bulletin board (If I may be so old fashioned to call it as such)!

Carousel I will try to PM you in the next days, perhaps I will wait to see what the dry cleaner can do... So I can have the ribbon back and be sure to match the color.

Thanks all!!!

- eli104

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Borsalino in steel grey
s62g0k.jpg

Size 6 (59 cm or 7 3/8 US) in fur felt with medium hair. Overwelt brim
213n2j9.jpg

NOS sold in a South Italy it was made in recent years
1zmmoa9.jpg

Proportions are crown, low point, at 11 cm. (4 21/64) and brim at 5.5 cm. (2 11/64 inches)
zwgduw.jpg

A medium felt, pliable and with a special metal color. Black ribbon 4 cm. (1 37/64)
1fjur9.jpg

Fantastic medium hair hat!
Pretty little hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou