Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
IMAG0563.jpg

Hi folks. Today, I was lucky enough to find this hat in a thrift shop in my home town of Elsinore, Denmark. Perhaps not the prettiest Borsalino, but interesting and very wearable nonetheless.

IMAG0569.jpg IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0554.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

I really like the scarlet hat liner:-

IMAG0572.jpg

Any input as to age, style etc. would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve, but why?

I thought, too, that it was vintage because of the hat liner maroon/scarlet colour & the hat liner Borsalino Giuseppe & Fretello logo, which I haven't yet seen before here in Denmark.

But what clues say to you, mid 60s to mid 70s?

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The felt hat band with the square felt "bow" instead of a material /cotton hat band and classic bow suggests a retro 50s look, perhaps.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve. Always great to learn from your knowledge.

Did you notice, it's another black leather sweatband? They seem to be common here.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I have a modern (woolen?) low quality Borsa, bought at the hat shop "Petitgas" in Copenhagen. It has a black sweatband as well. I'm pretty sure, that the black sweats weren't made especially for the extremely minute Danish Borsa-market, though :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I have a modern (woolen?) low quality Borsa, bought at the hat shop "Petitgas" in Copenhagen. It has a black sweatband as well. I'm pretty sure, that the black sweats weren't made especially for the extremely minute Danish Borsa-market, though :)

I'm sure they weren't either Ole :)

I've bought a few hats from Petitgas, too. Now I've discovered I can find vintage hats cheaper by just looking round places. It's a great new hobby. ;)

They were not made specifically (they were available everywhere) for Danish market but they could have been available by order option in the time of this hat.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
They were not made specifically (they were available everywhere) for Danish market but they could have been available by order option in the time of this hat.

The black sweatbands do seem to have been popular here. I'm sure you're right Steve about it being a colour coordination issue. The vintage Borsalinos, I have, are dark in colour and thus suit a dark sweatband.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I love the fact, that the shop still exists. French Francois Petitgas opened the shop in 1857, and he made and sold hats to the CPH bourgeoisie - among them, H.C. Andersen. He even won a gold medal at the 1900 World Expo in Paris.

I believe, the current owner is number six, since Petitgas died in 1913. The window and interior have only changes slightly during this time. Unfortunately the quality of the inventory has changed a lot more. Even though he covers almost the entire Danish - and a lot of the Swedish and Norwegian - market, it's not substantial enough to support a high quality inventory. I believe, that most of his business comes from caps, ceremonial hats, straws and some modern smaller fedoras.

Though probably no Loungers will find the current fedora offerings interesting, I will warmly recommend a visit, if you're in CPH. It's a small, beautiful 100+ year old hole in reality - and Bernhard, the long bearded owner, is always ready for a hat talk :)

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_043-petitgas.jpg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I love the fact, that the shop still exists. French Francois Petitgas opened the shop in 1857, and he sold hats to the CPH bourgeoisie - among them, H.C. Andersen. He even won a gold medal at the 1900 World Expo in Paris.

I believe, the current owner is number six, since Petitgas died in 1913 - and the window and interior have only changes slightly during this time. Unfortunately the quality of the inventory has changed a lot more. Even though he covers almost the entire Danish - and most of the Swedish and Norwegian - market, it's not substantial enough to support a high quality inventory. I believe, that most of his business comes from caps, ceremonial hats, straws and some modern smaller fedoras.

Though probably no Loungers will find the current offerings interesting, I will warmly recommend a visit, if you're in CPH. It's a small, beautiful 100+ year old hole in reality - and Bernhard, the long bearded owner, is always ready for a hat talk :)

View attachment 52537

I couldn't agree more Ole. Apart from the modern hats, inside, it's like going back in time to a hat emporium of the 19th century. The tall cases with their windowed doors, the wooden fixtures and fittings and the countless antique hat boxes are worth going inside for alone. It is great that the current owner took the shop over a few years back. It was in danger of closing down. That would have been such a shame and a great loss to the city centre of Copenhagen.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
- and Petitgas became a Borsalino retailer in 1872 ;)

Actually both the building and shop are listed, so the rent is probably ridiculously low in order to keep it going as original as possible. The shop is located in the very most expensive part of CPH, and it would be impossible to continue at market rent.

The fact, that it's so hard to dig out info on Danish mens' hat production, made me start a project a couple of months ago - heavily inspired by Brad's and Steve's (mayserwegener) work. I'm trying to gather info and documentation for a small web site on Danish hat production. Hope it'll be up this coming Winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner