Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

I'm still a firm supporter of the idea that the more written on the label the earlier the hat, with the separate size sticker as an intermediate solution before everything was printed or stamped on the label.

First, that old misto homburg is a stunner!

It seems that hand written notation shows up now and again, earlier and later, too... this around 1960, I believe:

cutborso2.jpg

If it's any help, here are my examples of early labels.

Borsalino Lobbia Nebbia: codes, colour and size all written on the label.

View attachment 111843 View attachment 111844

Borsalino bowler Stregone: stamped name, but written size.

View attachment 111845 View attachment 111846

Borsalino Misto Lapis for European market: newer (?) label but with separate size sticker.

View attachment 111847 View attachment 111848

Borsalino Misto Topo for the American market: newer (?) label with written size.
View attachment 111850 View attachment 111851

I'm still a firm supporter of the idea that the more written on the label the earlier the hat, with the separate size sticker as an intermediate solution before everything was printed or stamped on the label.
Stefan, Thanks! I think there is little doubt the first two (Borsalino Lobbia Nebbia and Borsalino bowler Stregone) with the box / cell labels are at least 1930s maybe older.

It seems that hand written notation shows up now and again, earlier and later, too... this around 1960, I believe:

cutborso2.jpg
I haven't seen an older label with the box / cell format that didn't have the size hand written. The older labels always have similar box / cell format. This type of label went away at some point.

cutborso2.jpg
Alan, thanks. True: I have a few examples of later labels with names and sizes written on them as well. Could be that by then they were the exception rather than the norm.

Stefan, Thanks! I think there is little doubt the first two (Borsalino Lobbia Nebbia and Borsalino bowler Stregone) with the box / cell labels are at least 1930s maybe older.
That seems to be the case and the box format looks to be positively the older one. The interesting bit however is when the other format was introduced and wether or not there was an overlap. And just because it's Borsalino: here's an interesting one: Borsalino Faunosca with later label with both a stamped size and a separate size label (in different sizes, sjeesh).

borsalino fanosca_12.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
What one does it look like?
i have seen a dated example dated 1959

the perforations of the first two examples differ in the way sheet stamps and coil stamps are totally different. (the paper the machine that printed them)

It appears Tonio has the only American market Borsalino "Imported by George A. Place, Concord" with the old cell/box paper with the hand written size. There might be others but many photos have been lost in this thread.

What is interesting is that Borsalino had relatively large import numbers to America during the 1920s compared to others but only Tonio"s "Imported by George A. Place, Concord" find might be from that time period.

With the later paper labels it appears the German market Echter Borsalinos were more consistent date stamp wise.

Last edited:

Tonio

A-List Customer
What is interesting is that Borsalino had relatively large import numbers to America during the 1920s compared to others but only Tonio"s "Imported by George A. Place, Concord" find might be from that time period.

For what it's worth, the New Hampshire Historical Society has a Knox top at sold by George A. Place. They note that he lived 1865-1941 and estimate the top hat to be 1920-1930.

image.jpeg

Little more info on Mr. Place:
image.jpeg

Tonio

A-List Customer
Hello, thought I'd share some Borsalino artifacts I'm waiting on.

5 cards dating to the early 1900s. The lower 3 I believe may have been affixed to a hat ribbon or brim to advertise the brand.
image.jpeg

Giuseppe Borsalino & Fratello token. Perhaps an ID of sorts? Any guesses?
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran