Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thanks ScottF and Sue... :)

Yes, with some hats, I'll just have to wear them for some time before they finally tell me what kind of crease they want...

Oh my god...am I hearing voices? My hat started talking to me!!! :eek: :p :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Have we seen a pic of Mario wearing this hat? This is an awesome hat that really deserves a head beneath it.

Not with the new bash, but there are two photos with the old diamond crease. Both from the WHAYWT thread. I'll post a photo with the new crease on the said thread.

borsalino_08_11_09.jpg

borsalino_08_17_09.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
Thanks ScottF and Sue... :)

Yes, with some hats, I'll just have to wear them for some time before they finally tell me what kind of crease they want...

Oh my god...am I hearing voices? My hat started talking to me!!! :eek: :p :D

My hat once formed a 'teardrop' when it saw the kettle boiling. Feeling it's anguish, I turned off the water and let it keep it's preferred bash.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
My hat once formed a 'teardrop' when it saw the kettle boiling. Feeling it's anguish, I turned off the water and let it keep it's preferred bash.

lol lol

Now imagine the horror that poor little hat must feel when it sees Gene the Ripper come snaking with that wicked grin in his face and a long knife in his hand... :eek:

Maybe it will start flapping with its brim to get away from the fearsome haberslasher? :D

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Fantastic display of lid-dome as always Mario. I reckon that you'd made a handkerchief tied at the corners look good on your melon.

So....hats still talking to you, huh? Are the voices benign??? And who's the dear soul who takes your pics - and do they think you're a narcissist??

Great hats, my friend.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Rapallo

I picked this up Saturday for $21,....it's too small but Optimo told me on the phone that there was no problem going up a size and a half when they re-build it, worst case scenerio would be that I might loose a bit of brim and gain it in the crown.

It was bashed a porkpie, but I'm not a porkpie kinda guy.
100_2601.jpg

I figure 1960's,....but I know very little.
100_2591.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about the tag?
100_2596.jpg

The original Marshall Field Department Store tag,....ironically that's exactly what I paid for it two days ago! :)
100_2598.jpg

This is only my second Borsalino and I love it!!
The felt is the thinnest of any of my hats and very smooth, It has a thin Cavanaugh Edge, as I see no stitching what so ever.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
Fantastic display of lid-dome as always Mario. I reckon that you'd made a handkerchief tied at the corners look good on your melon.

So....hats still talking to you, huh? Are the voices benign??? And who's the dear soul who takes your pics - and do they think you're a narcissist??

Great hats, my friend.

Well, what can I say? I mean, last night my Mallory laid me to sleep and sang me a sweet little lullaby... And yes: ever since the day I bought it, my camera (the one with the self-timer, mind you!) keeps telling me that I seem to have a distinctly narcisstic streak in me...but then, to tell you the truth, that particular camera entertains a whole lot of funny notions about the world...you should have a chat with it yourself! :p :D

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Borsalino Daino 40's?

Today I took posession of this almost chocolate brown Borsalino. I bought it, along with a Stetson panama and a Pedigreed from an elderly lady who tells me it belonged to her father, who wore it in the 1930's.

I think she may be sincerely wrong on the date, but it may be 40's. See what you think.

The brim is 2 1/4" the crown is 4 1/2" creased. It has a wind trolley that matches the dark brown ribbon. The 3 Crown logo on the lining is one I have only seen once before with the only other 'SuperBorsalino' I have seen on FL. The logo is covered in what appears to be an oilskin. The size tag is blue and gold and reads 'Eulan Bayer 5 1/2' It's clearly a Punti size as it fits my 7 1/4 scone snugly but comfortably. Under the sweat was placed a length of cork, front and back, to make it fit the old chap more snugly. I've removed these.

The retailer's name on the sweat (which is lovely and supple) reads S Casiraghi Galleria Vitta EM.32 Milano.

The tag under the sweat reads:

"A2864 47949
Daino z. Bulgara 5 1/2"

So....can I join the Brotherhood??

SDC10256.jpg
SDC10257.jpg

SDC10261.jpg
SDC10265.jpg

SDC10266.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I should have mentioned that the above hat has no brim binding.

It's also the softest felt I've ever...er...felt. You could shape and reshape and reshape this lid to whatever crease you wanted and it will hold the shape you give it. No steam required.

I love this hat.

billysmom

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
I should have mentioned that the above hat has no brim binding.

It's also the softest felt I've ever...er...felt. You could shape and reshape and reshape this lid to whatever crease you wanted and it will hold the shape you give it. No steam required.

I love this hat.

E.T. -

You're now snared. Sliding down the slippery slope of Borsalino addiction. I'm a fellow sufferer, so I know how irresistable that felt can be. Enjoy!

Sue

Vintage Alessandria...

I finally got time to take some shots of this nice, dark tan/taupe Alessandria
Here it is open crown, then with a dry finger block...
borso2-8.jpg

borso2-9.jpg

It has the corrugated front sweatband feature...
borso2-3.jpg

borso2-2.jpg

Here are some shots of the stickers still there...
borso2-1.jpg

borso2-4.jpg

And a liner shot...
borso2-5.jpg

One interesting note: It has 7 1/2 embossed on back of sweatband but a 7 5/8 tag & listed 7 5/8 on the sticker.

Anybody got a relative date for this one?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice one, Deputy! The fact that the OPS tag dates it to 1950-53 is instructive in terms of size tag, sweat, liner, etc. Also instructive is the price tag of $20. I have always wondered how this type of Borso was priced relative to Strats or Open Roads back in the day. Thanks for sharing the photos -- just to complete the picture, could you post a couple of shots of any embossing on the sweat (Borso logo, store, etc.)? Thanks!

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy