Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
MarkD said:
Looks like I have to chalk this one up to my inexperience. I actually sniped it when it was at around $150. Problem is someone else did the same. My max was around 10 bucks higher. I really never dreamed it would be much over $200 but.....

I also didn't know aout the size issue even thogh I have been lurking here for a while. Now I'm worried.

You live and learn I guess.

Another thing I thought I'd mention - most of the old Borsalino Allesandrias have the piece of anti-sweat corrugation at the front of the sweatband. That adds close to a size. It might be possible to have that removed, then stretch the hat very slightly and re-sew, and wouldn't lose any felt shape. I don't know - just a thought, but certainly if you had the sweatband replaced, you would gain close to a size without having any stretching or re-blocking done, just from the extra space that corrugated piece takes.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Thanks Scott, I think I will be okay since I can put a mild stretch on a 7 1/8 and it will fit. I must be on the south side of 7 1/4 while you are on the north.

Incidentally I am wearing my Fed Deluxe IV right now with a wet head hoping it will shrink to fit. Thankfully I ordered it in a 58 not a size up as some recommended.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Gray Borsalino

Bought this one the other day that once belonged to Dr. Rocko M. Fasanella, a man with a very interesting history, and I feel fortunate to be the one to keep it in public for many more years.

http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/127/6/818

d05dae07.jpg

81c8cede.jpg

df3191a3.jpg

54ed6e6e.jpg

ba611c37.jpg

a29cf524.jpg

Although I'm learning from several of you, (thank you), I've yet to learn enough to determine the age of a Borsalino yet,....this one has:

1. Taped not sewn, sweatband joint.
2. 1 3/4" sweatband.
3. Red Punti size tag.
4. White ribbon bow
5. Stamped "Esportazione Vietata" ("Export prohibited") on the sweat.
6. No corragated strip on front of sweat.
7. 2" over welted brim
8. 5 3/8" open crown, slightly tapered.

I figure it might be from the early 1950's,.....?

High Pockets

Practically Family
Borsalino Rapallo

:) This black Rapallo just came back from Optimo. As I said before, I'm really beginning to like the stingy brims!
This one's felt is so thin it's almost hard to handle.
Might it be what many of you refer to as "Handkerchief Felt"?

Several of my Borsies have had liners and sweats that were trashed, I only wish I could have salvaged them, new liners and sweats are great, but they really seam to take away from a nice hat. :(

I hope you'll excuse the white spots on the hat, it's drizzling outside and I couldn't snap the pic before the hat got a few sprinkles on it.:D
3eb01d85.jpg

7b11c749.jpg

:eusa_clap Thanks to Goose for inspiring me to try these stingy brims!

MarkD

One of the Regulars
I just received my new Alessandria and boy am I pleased. It fits great and looks fantastic. I am having a blast with it. This is my first Borso, what fantastic felt! It is the best fedora I have to date, it rivals my custom made 100% beaver western in being the best hat. It takes a center crease better than anything I have. When you talk into the side dents you can hear an echo they are so deep.lol

Unfortunately there is rain in the forecast for the next week in my area. How will this be in the rain or should I be repremanded for even thinking about it? I have the aforementioned beaver and a Fed Deluxe IV both of which laugh at the elements but I sure want to show this baby off!

Man this is fun.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
MarkD said:
I just received my new Alessandria and boy am I pleased. It fits great and looks fantastic. I am having a blast with it. This is my first Borso, what fantastic felt! It is the best fedora I have to date, it rivals my custom made 100% beaver western in being the best hat. It takes a center crease better than anything I have. When you talk into the side dents you can hear an echo they are so deep.lol

Unfortunately there is rain in the forecast for the next week in my area. How will this be in the rain or should I be repremanded for even thinking about it? I have the aforementioned beaver and a Fed Deluxe IV both of which laugh at the elements but I sure want to show this baby off!

Man this is fun.

Glad to hear that hat fits you - it's the Byrnie Utz one, right? Unless it's a big downpour, I wouldn't worry about it. I wore my old thin-felt Borso yesterday in the rain, and it was no big deal. Remember - they're made out of rabbits, and rabbits dry off pretty well.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Thanks Scott, yes it is the Byrnie Utz that I overpaid for but at least I am not disappointed. This hat is so cool. I am jumping up and down with delight.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
MarkD said:
Thanks Scott, yes it is the Byrnie Utz that I overpaid for but at least I am not disappointed. This hat is so cool. I am jumping up and down with delight.

You can't really overpay for an old Borsalino - modern hats don't even approach the felt in your Borsalino. I think the top-of-the-line Borsos at Byrnie Utz today are over $400, and yours is better.

billysmom

One Too Many
Bulgarian Borsalino

This arrived after a 3 1/2 week journey from Bulgaria:

Auction pic -

pic2.jpg

And now at home:

BB.jpg

DSCF1503.jpg

DSCF1505.jpg

DSCF1504.jpg

DSCF1502.jpg

DSCF1506.jpg

It's missing the wind trolley button, as was shown in the auction. The felt's the typical wonderful vintage Borsalino stuff. Dense, malleable, super-soft.

2 1/8" brim, 5" uncreased crown, 7/8" ribbon, 2" sweat.

For under $35.00 shipped, I certainly won't miss the wind trolley! :D

Sue

cookie

I'll Lock Up
sproily said:
borsas.jpg

I snatched this modern Borsalino off a thrift store shelf. I found it comfortable so I took it. Cost 15 euros.

The hair is quite long, not sure what felt it is though..

Says in the tag, water resistant felt.

Pretty cool hat - theoretically it could be pounced (sanded etc) to a finer finish - right?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Trionfo

As soon as this one arrived from Bulgaria, I sent to Optimo for a cleaning. It's very soft felt, feels great, and now I understand what rlk meant by 'cellophane' type liner cover - very brittle and like the old oilskin, but definitely different composition. I can't speculate as to age, but the red paper size-tag, sweat connection, ribbon holes, sweat attachment, are all exactly like the Mascotte I just ebay'd.

Optimo's bash fit my head perfectly, so that's the way it stays:

TrionfoSide.jpg

TrionfoTop.jpg

TrionfoLiner.jpg

TrionfoSweatdtl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24