Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

A sage colored Borsalino with matching grosgrain ribbon. The oil skin is still intact.
Not sure of the model, but maybe somebody here can tell me. The tag shows Olivo, but I think it is closer to sage.

The picture colors may seem a bit off, but I had to adjust the color to more accurately portray the color of the hat. My camera wanted to make it more blue which I wouldn't have minded, but the sage is pleasant.

The felt on this is about a little more than half as think as the last hat I posted and not quite as soft, but still very nice.

The crown is about 4 1/2" bashed.
The brim is 2 1/2" with a small 1/8" grosgrain binding matching ribbon
The ribbon is a matching 1 5/8" grosgrain
The sweatband is 2" without extra backing protection

A very nice hat.

It came with that small Borsalino box with a spare ribbon. Would the hat have been originally sent in that box? The ribbon is a much lighter brown than the picture depicts.

Can somebody here explain the difference between the red size tag versus the blue?

View attachment 579123
View attachment 579124
View attachment 579126 View attachment 579127 View attachment 579128 View attachment 579129
Great find, Don. First time I've seen one of these coffin box hats come with an extra ribbon. Maybe it was a special request from the buyer. The blue size tags were used for the American market I believe, the red ones we see on the European market.

DonR

One of the Regulars
My oh my! Knocking them out of the park, Don! The boxes we affectionately refer to as coffin boxes in reference to their shape. These were intended for tourists to roll up and stow their Borsalino hat purchase for their voyage home. The idea being they could take to their hatter upon return to have it shaped…. Or simply steam it themselves as an instruction pamphlet I found in one of mine indicated.

Thanks Joe. I've heard that these can be rolled up, I couldn't imagine it.

DonR

One of the Regulars
Great find, Don. First time I've seen one of these coffin box hats come with an extra ribbon. Maybe it was a special request from the buyer. The blue size tags were used for the American market I believe, the red ones we see on the European market.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Thanks Joe. I've heard that these can be rolled up, I couldn't imagine it.
Yes they can. Although it is believed these boxes were intended for the initial travel home and not as storage boxes. Many seem to be used this way however.

I rolled my borsalino featherweight (which was found in one of these coffin boxes) a few months back to have an extra hat to throw in the suitcase On a flight. I just rolled it up and stuck it in a gallon zip lock instead of using the coffin box as mine are getting a bit old and brittle. Unrolled and shaped fairly well without any steam.

Truth is any soft felt soft brim hat could be rolled… it depends on the technic and the effort you want to put in to return it to shape ;)
Well, of course you could, but the question is if you should. If it's not a crushable hat (shudder!) I'd avoid rolling them up and just stick with one hat when travelling. These coffin box hats aren't crushable hats and weren't meant to be rolled up again and again.

Well, of course you could, but the question is if you should. If it's not a crushable hat (shudder!) I'd avoid rolling them up and just stick with one hat when travelling. These coffin box hats aren't crushable hats and weren't meant to be rolled up again and again.
Yes agreed. There I go again… forgetting my sarcasm font ;)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The_Winnipeg_Tribune_Mon__Oct_16__1905_.jpg

riddlers

New in Town
The gray Borsalino arrived today from the previous post #9752. Compared to the Cavanagh I am wearing, the Borsalino feels much stiffer, but holds its shape much better. Here are the additional pictures requested of the inside of the newly arrived Borsalino, but it doesn't look like the pictures will offer much help with dating. It seems like a recent version of a Fedora to my inexperienced eyes.

Regardless, it's a keeper since it fits well and is attractive, albeit a bit darker than anticipated.

Attachments

• IMG_6951.jpg
    IMG_6951.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6952.jpg
    IMG_6952.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6953.jpg
    IMG_6953.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 45
  • s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 33
  • s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 35
  • s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 47
The gray Borsalino arrived today from the previous post #9752. Compared to the Cavanagh I am wearing, the Borsalino feels much stiffer, but holds its shape much better. Here are the additional pictures requested of the inside of the newly arrived Borsalino, but it doesn't look like the pictures will offer much help with dating. It seems like a recent version of a Fedora to my inexperienced eyes.

Regardless, it's a keeper since it fits well and is attractive, albeit a bit darker than anticipated.
It is certainly a modern one. Hard to put a date on it exactly because the labels didn't change anymore. Still a fine hat though.

Can anyone help date this hat and box ? The thickness and softness of the fur felt makes it easily the finest quality hat I have.
Welcome to the lounge. A fine Borsalino to make an entrance with. There should be another label underneath the sweatband opposite the Borsalino logo. That can tell us more, but these Marque Grand Luxe hats usually are from the period 1954-1960.

Last edited:

Martin5760

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge. A fine Borsalino to make an entrance with. There should be another label underneath the sweatband opposite the Borsalino logo. That can tell us mor, but these Marque Grand Luxe hats usually are from the period 1954-1960.
Thank you for the information. Interesting that it has remained so clean after all those years. Nothing else under the sweatband - just the 12500 label opposite the Borsalino logo - Italian Lira price ?

Thank you for the information. Interesting that it has remained so clean after all those years. Nothing else under the sweatband - just the 12500 label opposite the Borsalino logo - Italian Lira price ?
Probably. We see more often that the "good" hats, worn on Sundays and special occasions, and were kept in boxes survive in good condition.

upegelow

New in Town
Hi guys,
I am new on this forum, so first a Hello into the round. A few days ago I have purchased my first vintage Borsalino from a private sale. It's a short brim (shy of 2"), open crown hat with a very pleasant velour like touch to the felt and a chocolate brown color. The crown can be very easily shaped when dry.
IMG_1884.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1878.jpg IMG_1873.jpg IMG_1874.jpg IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1876.jpg
I'm wondering what might be the model and age. The seller did not have any details. Anyone with an idea?

Best wishes
Ulrich from Düsseldorf, Germany

Hi guys,
I am new on this forum, so first a Hello into the round. A few days ago I have purchased my first vintage Borsalino from a private sale. It's a short brim (shy of 2"), open crown hat with a very pleasant velour like touch to the felt and a chocolate brown color. The crown can be very easily shaped when dry.
View attachment 583290 View attachment 583291 View attachment 583292 View attachment 583293 View attachment 583294 View attachment 583295 View attachment 583296
I'm wondering what might be the model and age. The seller did not have any details. Anyone with an idea?

Best wishes

It’s a style that not everyone likes, but the felt on the Marque Gran Luxe (MGL) is a personal favorite. One of the more knowledgeable member can probably help you out with an age.
Welcome to the Lounge!

Hi guys,
View attachment 583290 View attachment 583291 View attachment 583292 View attachment 583293 View attachment 583294 View attachment 583295 View attachment 583296

Best wishes
Welcome to the lounge. Not a bad way to start with Borsalinos. Like Brent said: the felt is wonderful on these Marque Grand Luxe hats. They no longer have a model name at this time. Mogano (mahogany) is the felt colour. This label we find on hats in the period 1972-1976.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy