Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Oh, man -- what a beautiful Borso! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And for $75? I need oxygen. MEDIC!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Thanks, but you're the big-timer; it was $65. :D

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Here is my $56 Borsalino Alessandria. It's my first attempt at bashing my first real Fedora - frankly, I'm sticking with this bash. The pinch doesn't hold (normal?), so I keep having to smooth it back down without actually creasing it. I really like this hat.

P1060499.jpg

P1060501.jpg

P1060506.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
*I edited the post above to show the guts and box*

This hat is amazing. It's the perfect middle weight between my Borso thin ribbon and my heavier Savoy. I'm having difficulty getting a good shot of the incredible deep green of both the hat and the ribbon. That slight flaw (a rub mark, I think) on the rear underside of the brim has just about disappeared with brushing.

specs:
brim = 3"
crown = a bit over 6"
ribbon = 2 1/4"

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely stunning! Looks to be in mint condition. Just gorgeous. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

In terms of weight of the felt -- is it something along the lines of an OR?

Congrats.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
Absolutely stunning! Looks to be in mint condition. Just gorgeous. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

In terms of weight of the felt -- is it something along the lines of an OR?

Congrats.

Cheers,
JtL

:arated: What a beauty! Rare find! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys.
Jimmy, the weight is pretty close to an OR, but it still has that very flexible brim.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Super Borsalino

Here is the latest aquisition. A Super Borsalino XXXXX Beaver fedora of 1950. Originally sold in Spain through Alfonso Arevalo, AV 5 de Mayo 105, León, Gto.

Not much to comment on the felt, really. It is simply mindblowing! Full high crown and 7,5 cm brim.

Wow another beauty and very unique! I wonder if it was made specifically for the Spanish market? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:

Very nice Borso indeed! :eusa_clap

It's interesting to note that this one has a reeded sweatband attached. Virtually all Borsalinos I've seen from that time period (say, up to the late 50's) still have those unreeded sweats treated in that special Borsalino style with the corrugated protector at the front (see below).

BorsoLiner-3.jpg

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Mario said:
Very nice Borso indeed! :eusa_clap

It's interesting to note that this one has a reeded sweatband attached. Virtually all Borsalinos I've seen from that time period (say, up to the late 50's) still have those unreeded sweats treated in that special Borsalino style with the corrugated protector at the front (see below).

[

Mario, and others,

I would like to put forward the following hypothesis for discussion:

- Borsalino's produced for the US-market and from, say, the post-war period have the non-reeded sweat with the corrugation.

- Borsalino's produced for the European market from the same period are reeded, and never have the corrugation. (Nb. I am at the office at the moment. I am sure about the pre-sale blocked Borsalino's in my collection being reeded, but not about the Borsalino's that came folded in the triangular boxes. I will fill in this part of the hypothesis later on.)

Any insights?

Bantam Man said:
Mario, and others,

I would like to put forward the following hypothesis for discussion:

- Borsalino's produced for the US-market and from, say, the post-war period have the non-reeded sweat with the corrugation.

- Borsalino's produced for the European market from the same period are reeded, and never have the corrugation. (Nb. I am at the office at the moment. I am sure about the pre-sale blocked Borsalino's in my collection being reeded, but not about the Borsalino's that came folded in the triangular boxes. I will fill in this part of the hypothesis later on.)

Any insights?

I have post WWII Borsalinos made for the German market that have both reeded and non reeded sweats but there are some characteristics you don't see in the US Borsalinos. For example the sweatband bow and liners. The sweat bow on Dreispitz's is very similar to cord ones you see on German market Borsalinos. Also there are differences in felt thickness / pliability. It is apparent Borsalino targeted specific market needs.

For example late 70s German market Borsalino with non reeded sweat with corrugation. Notice the cord sweat bow.

3755457784_f318af4e20_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24