Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

rippy444

Familiar Face
rippy444 said:
I purchased an "Alessandria" a while ago. It has a line of numbers on the band and i was wondering what they all ment. 6 7/8-4 1/2- 58. I am curious about the 58. The hat is in great shape and my only Borsalino. I love it. I bought off E Bay for $35.00 shipped. Thanks. I wouldn't have the hats that I do, If it were not for the knowledge and encouragement of "The Fedora Lounge". If I can get some family help, I will send a picture. :) :) :)

Remember, you get no bread with one meat ball.

Aureliano said:
I can't see the vent. Any chance you can post a close-up pic? :D

It is tough to see because the felt, vent and sweat are all black. :)

Here you go!

4841125206_b5a09b652c_b.jpg

rippy444 said:
Originally Posted by rippy444
I purchased an "Alessandria" a while ago. It has a line of numbers on the band and i was wondering what they all ment. 6 7/8-4 1/2- 58. I am curious about the 58. The hat is in great shape and my only Borsalino. I love it. I bought off E Bay for $35.00 shipped. Thanks. I wouldn't have the hats that I do, If it were not for the knowledge and encouragement of "The Fedora Lounge". If I can get some family help, I will send a picture.

Remember, you get no bread with one meat ball.

6 7/8 -> UK Size
4 1/2 -> Punti / Point Size
58 -> Centimeter Size

I question the 58 cm size based on the other size info. Should be 56cm. Can you take a pic of the tag?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mayserwegener said:
NOS black Borsalino Allesandria, size 7 1/4, non-reeded with front vent. Very light weight felt.

4838628176_df40768bfa_b.jpg

Very sharp, Mayser. Congrats. Nice find. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Mine are among the most comfortable to wear lids I have.

Borsalino

Very late (1982) original family Borsalino (size 61 cm) made for the German market. Looks gray in photos but casts a olive hue. Missing liner but other wise in good condition.

4888623725_9c6f2facfa_b.jpg

4888623989_f331e2b06e_b.jpg

4888624065_bd58c859d0_b.jpg

4888664557_c28118e0ee_b.jpg

4889261220_d40945eef6_b.jpg

4889221458_663c3e557e_b.jpg

Cracker

One of the Regulars
My first Borso: a Borsolino Thirty purchased three months ago on ebay. Finally got around to taking some pics. It came in a cattleman's crease with lots of grease/dirt along the crease. I steamed it out and cleaned it with a damp rag, but only managed to fade the marks a bit. I'm also trying to stretch it a little. One day it will go to a professional, but it's ok for now.

Some folks think it's possibly pre-WWII but more likely mid 1950s. Does anyone here have any thoughts on it?

IMG_8693.jpg

P1050111.jpg

P1050112.jpg

P1050114.jpg

P1050115.jpg

P1050116.jpg

P1050117.jpg

P1050119.jpg

P1050120.jpg

P1050121.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
Cracker said:
I'm also trying to stretch it a little. One day it will go to a professional, but it's ok for now.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on it?

IMG_8693.jpg

It's a great looking hat. It looks like it's sitting plenty low on your head. Does it really need to be stretched?

Cracker said:
What does this 6 1/2 stamp mean?
P1050125.jpg

I'd have guessed it was the Punti size, but that would convert to a US 7-1/2 or UK 7-3/8, neither of which is consistent with the 7-1/4 tag in the hat. [huh]

Cracker

One of the Regulars
SteveAS said:
It's a great looking hat. It looks like it's sitting plenty low on your head. Does it really need to be stretched?

Yes, it's pretty tight. I think I'm a long oval, as I can usually stick a finger between the sweat and the side of my heat even with hats that are tight fitting. My '50s Stetson Mode Edge is the same way, too tight to wear for much longer than the time it takes to make my commute. However, my two 7 1/4 Stetson ORs swim on my head, even after putting foam behind the sweatband. Go figure.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Borsalinos in my family

Every male member of my family have all worn Borsalino (and a few Stetson) hats since the 1930s. My father still wears his Borsalino Como on a daily basis, when he's not wearing his bounty hunter hat (which he saves for bad weather). For my 20th birthday I picked out a Borsalino Piccolo at JJ Hatters in New York, where there is a great selection and "old world" feel. Once I got home, no sooner did I realize that I had picked out the exact same hat that my grandfather wore over 40 years ago; same brim size, same exact ribbon, only difference was the color - my hat was gray, his was a dark blue. It was a spooky revelation, considering how many hats I tried on before settling with the Piccolo.

Recently after my great aunt died this year we went through the 1950s time capsule that was her home. I found a few unworn and still tagged Borsalino, Dobbs, a panama, and some other straw hat that all must have belonged to my great uncle. Unfortunately none of which fit me, but I'm hanging on to them for obvious reasons. One hat has a beautiful Cavanaugh edge. A few of the hats seem to have had the sweatband insignias stamped over with blocks, possibly because they were factory seconds or in the bargain bin. That's just speculation, I don't really know why, so hopefully someone can shed light on that once I put pictures up.

I will take pictures when I get home from LA next month of these family treasures.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy