Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Here is a recent find. The hat weighs only 95 grams and the felt is soft and can be dry shaped. I believe this is a 1960s hat based on the serrated label but would appreciate any input to the contrary. The hat circumference is 24” so it is a legit 7 5/8. Any clues as to what “SFINGE” means on the label?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_7886.jpeg
IMG_7889.jpeg
IMG_7887.jpeg
IMG_7888.jpeg
IMG_7882.jpeg
IMG_7885.jpeg
IMG_7883.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Here is a recent find. The hat weighs only 95 grams and the felt is soft and can be dry shaped. I believe this is a 1960s hat based on the serrated label but would appreciate any input to the contrary. The hat circumference is 24” so it is a legit 7 5/8. Any clues as to what “SFINGE” means on the label?

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 551907 View attachment 551908 View attachment 551909 View attachment 551910 View attachment 551911 View attachment 551913 View attachment 551914

Great find! SFINGE is the color.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Wow, looks like you are in NOS territory with that hat. Nice one.

Thanks for any help!

View attachment 551907 View attachment 551908 View attachment 551909 View attachment 551910 View attachment 551911 View attachment 551913 View attachment 551914

Thanks for any help!

Great find! SFINGE is the color.

Beautiful hat. Sfinge is on Steur's chart of Colors-Natural. Googling tells me that it's Italian for "Sphinx"
so maybe it refers to a sandy or sandstone type hue.
Great find! Concur on the color SFINGE is sandstone. I have one in that color as well. Beautiful hat in amazing condition. Congratulations.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Wow, looks like you are in NOS territory with that hat. Nice one.
Great find! Concur on the color SFINGE is sandstone. I have one in that color as well. Beautiful hat in amazing condition. Congratulations.
Thanks guys!

Yes, the hat is minty except for the trolley cord button that fell off when I untangled/unknotted the cord. :-(

IMG_7896.jpeg IMG_7895.jpeg

Unfortunate about the wind cord. Probably the one Borsalino detail I am not a fan of.. at least from a vantage point of view. The material they used for for the wind trolleys, on the ones I’ve come in contact, with was an elastic material that over time stretches and causes the button to end up in odd positions depending on how you wrap it I suppose.
Thanks guys!

Yes, the hat is minty except for the trolley cord button that fell off when I untangled/unknotted the cord. :-(

View attachment 551951 View attachment 551952

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino longhair fedora in Rutenio colour. Size 57 with the overwelt and double stitched brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Cellophane covering of the liner and it's a no brainer.
What can I say? It's a beauty.

borsalino rutenio colpo_01.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_02.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_03.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_04.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_06.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_07.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_08.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_09.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_10.jpg

borsalino rutenio colpo_12.jpg
That's the best newest addition to the Brotherhood that I've seen in a while, Stefan. Great find.

Plattso

New in Town
Well, these hairy things are not to my liking, but there's no arguing the quality.

Say, in your experience are these longhairs always Extra Extra or are they not necessarily?

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Thanks Joe
Unfortunate about the wind cord. Probably the one Borsalino detail I am not a fan of.. at least from a vantage point of view. The material they used for for the wind trolleys, on the ones I’ve come in contact, with was an elastic material that over time stretches and causes the button to end up in odd positions depending on how you wrap it I suppose.
Thanks for the info Joe. I was able to repair the button/cord connection. I had to shorten the cord by a couple of inches so the button ends up in a different position but it still looks good imho. :)

IMG_7904.jpeg IMG_7905.jpeg

Well, these hairy things are not to my liking, but there's no arguing the quality.

Say, in your experience are these longhairs always Extra Extra or are they not necessarily?
Thank you. The quality designation is not saying anything really. It was up to the retailer to choose. Only if there is a felt designation, like nutria, lontra, castoro or martora it wasn't a choice.

Plattso

New in Town
Thank you. The quality designation is not saying anything really. It was up to the retailer to choose. Only if there is a felt designation, like nutria, lontra, castoro or martora it wasn't a choice.
It's funny about that. I'm a sort of compulsive/addictive collector and thrifty-bargain gambler/spender, so when I see Super Extra Supremo Quality and words like that, it sends a bioelectrical charge into my hypothalamus or somewhere, and then I'm all "Oooh, Super Quality! I need that right now!"

It's funny about that. I'm a sort of compulsive/addictive collector and thrifty-bargain gambler/spender, so when I see Super Extra Supremo Quality and words like that, it sends a bioelectrical charge into my hypothalamus or somewhere, and then I'm all "Oooh, Super Quality! I need that right now!"
It worked!

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Planning to dabble in the world of new or vintage Borsalino but have some questions.

Which model is 'THE' Borsalino to add to a collection? Is it the Como?

Do they make 2'' brims? I find at 2'' it is the best combination for my stature.

Thank you in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic